• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boot Space for fishing tackle

I too have a Skoda Yeti fishing vehicle,1.2 TSi really quite nippy, nice high driving position good on the motorway at normal speeds! 40+ mpg.As previously mentioned the rear seats can be folded back or totally removed if required.Had mine 12 months now all good so far.

I have a Hyundai Tucson (my third) and find it perfect for my fishing needs. The newer versions like many modern cars don't have a spare tyre and as such have turned that space into storage which allows me to carry all my spare bait and smaller items of tackle with me out of sight at all times. Also the centre section of the rear seat backrest can be separately collapsed to allow rods to be placed centrally. Brilliant fishing car ;)

Quite fancy a Bufori Geneva. Not sure about the boot space , although it would probably be far more comfortable ( and faster ) than anything suggested so far, if you dont mind waiting 3 years for one.

I have an XC60 , nice car , plenty of room , good on farm tracks, warm in cold weather etc etc, SWMBO chose it after soundly rejecting my suggestion of an ex Post Office Van which I could drive through mud / cowmuck / chicken poo etc etc without ever washing it .😕

David

Well, thanks to all contributors (however varied!!) As is the norm for this excellent site, enthusiastic discussions/viewpoints will tend to shoot off at unpredictable tangents from the original subject matter🤨 but its always entertaining AND informative!

As I'd already largely committed to purchasing a Juke, anyway (as it possessed most of the features that were satisfying my needs as a driver per se) I was really glad to see at least 2/3 positive responses that reassured me as to the other key aspect of transport i.e. that of a driver who is also a dedicated angler who needed to have appropriate boot space in his chosen motor👍

Once again thanks everyone for their interest and concern

My wife has a Nissan Quashqai 1.5 dci that I always nick for fishing. Huge space with the seats down, high seating position, 60mpg on a run, £20 a year tax, enough ground clearance to drive over floodbanks and bumpy fields.

We’ve done 40,000 miles in it so far without a hitch (It’s currently on 100,000 miles).

The optional 4 wheel drive on my yeti has got me out of a few sticky banks over the years, that the previous octavia did not , very subjective car ownership really nearly as bad as motorbikes I like moto guzzi,s, who am I to decry the R1 brigade .

I find the liking of the Nissan Kumqat a puzzle , we had one 4 years ago and found it rather an uncomfortable drive , we had several little annoying problems with it , however, it was large enough for all my gear and seemed cheap enough to run , in fact we did rather a lot of miles with it in the time we owned it .
As said earlier we traded it in for a Volvo, and are now on our second XC 60 , would not change back . I expect the newer model Nissans have ironed out any problems that were re occuring by now .

I would still prefer a van if it was soley to be used for fishing etc , till finances permit we will stick with what we have .

David

I find the liking of the Nissan Kumqat a puzzle , we had one 4 years ago and found it rather an uncomfortable drive , we had several little annoying problems with it , however, it was large enough for all my gear and seemed cheap enough to run , in fact we did rather a lot of miles with it in the time we owned it .
As said earlier we traded it in for a Volvo, and are now on our second XC 60 , would not change back . I expect the newer model Nissans have ironed out any problems that were re occuring by now .

I would still prefer a van if it was soley to be used for fishing etc , till finances permit we will stick with what we have .

David
Agree that they are as ugly as sin itself but I had an Aventa Premium 1.6 diesel as a company car for three and a bit years and drove nearly 120,000 miles in it and at 6ft and fifteen stone found it quite comfortable, well equipped, plenty of “pull”” when needed and room for my fishing gear, even when I was away on Trent for three days! I’ve no doubt that the Volvo is more comfortable but personally would have a Qashqui over a Duke any day myself. When I retired we bought a Qashqui but with 1.3litre 160 bhp petrol engine and it’s travelled to Cornwall and back a number of times and offers good fuel economy. You can probably guess I like them and would recommend AND they are made in Washington, Tyne and Wear, UK 😁 One mans meat is another’s poison I suppose, a bit like women and fishing rods 😂🤣

PS. My fishing car is a Vauxhall Zafira which is like a van with windows, back seats permanently in the flat position and LOADS of room for my gear.

Hi
I think if you were to look around at other suv's as well as the juke a lot come with plenty of bootspace and smaller engine keeping the road tax down
I curently have the kia sportage 1.7diesel loads of room and not alot to tax with the high driving position
It maybe that a juke doesnt fit your needs but another suv might
Hope this was useful for you 👍

I understand thanks David and all other contributors, but one of the main reasons for my dispensing with my one-time favourite Nissan X-trail nearly 4 years ago was precisely the fact that it had a diesel engine (admittedly a gas-guzzling 2 litres!) with all the concomitant drawbacks of the excessive running costs and unacceptable emissions. Hence my quest for a petrol model (current exorbitant pricing discouraging me from going down the hybrid route!).
AND, as virtually all bankside access to the Ribble does not afford ANY vehicular accessibilty , any 4WD option is totally superfluous!

Last edited:
A lot of what you thjnk are 4wd aren't. The Yeti comes in 2wd format as does the CRV ,Duster and other SUVs. So you get the ride height and luggage space that you desire without having 4wd.

I understand thanks David and all other contributors, but one of the main reasons for my dispensing with my one-time favourite Nissan X-trail nearly 4 years ago was precisely the fact that it had a diesel engine (admittedly a gas-guzzling 2 litres!) with all the concomitant drawbacks of the excessive running costs and unacceptable emissions. Hence my quest for a petrol model (current exorbitant pricing discouraging me from going down the hybrid route!).
AND, as virtually all bankside access to the Ribble does not afford ANY vehicular accessibilty , any 4WD option is totally superfluous!

Excessive running costs in what way? We’ve had ours 4 years and it hasn’t cost a penny other than normal servicing. 60mpg and £20 a year tax is a cheap as it gets. A round trip to Sutton which is 70 miles cost me around £7 in diesel last season (obviously will be more with the current ridiculous prices).

The consumption figures for modern small engine petrol cars can be very misleading - my wife’s previous car was a 0.9 turbo petrol Renault Captur she bought brand new, we averaged 35mpg and it was much slower than the Quashqai due to lack of torque.

Fwiw I hate diesels and have never owned one myself (my own current car is a 300bhp RS Megane Trophy), but every car I’ve ever owned has cost more to run than the Quashqai, it’s so good a do-it-all car that I can’t see us replacing it for a long time yet.

Excessive running costs in what way? We’ve had ours 4 years and it hasn’t cost a penny other than normal servicing. 60mpg and £20 a year tax is a cheap as it gets. A round trip to Sutton which is 70 miles cost me around £7 in diesel last season (obviously will be more with the current ridiculous prices).

The consumption figures for modern small engine petrol cars can be very misleading - my wife’s previous car was a 0.9 turbo petrol Renault Captur she bought brand new, we averaged 35mpg and it was much slower than the Quashqai due to lack of torque.

Fwiw I hate diesels and have never owned one myself (my own current car is a 300bhp RS Megane Trophy), but every car I’ve ever owned has cost more to run than the Quashqai, it’s so good a do-it-all car that I can’t see us replacing it for a long time yet.
by way of balance
My pal bought a 2 year old Quashqai, with full service history and in the 2 years he owned it it was a money pit and rusted underneath quite badly also the depreciation is drastic on them ?

I too have a Skoda Yeti fishing vehicle,1.2 TSi really quite nippy, nice high driving position good on the motorway at normal speeds! 40+ mpg.As previously mentioned the rear seats can be folded back or totally removed if required.Had mine 12 months now all good so far.
Watched a piece on youtube re the Skoda Superb, really impressive car, very reliable BIG Estate and all the extras... and cheapish to buy.

by way of balance
My pal bought a 2 year old Quashqai, with full service history and in the 2 years he owned it it was a money pit and rusted underneath quite badly also the depreciation is drastic on them ?

Depreciation is no worse than most other cars, Nissan certainly aren’t as bad as some. The 1.5dci engine (or versions of it) was used by multiple manufacturers.

I’m struggling to believe a 2 year old modern car somehow rusted unless it had been sat in a river for 6 months 😆 There’s a 12 year, unlimited mileage anti-corrosion warranty like almost all manufacturers these days.

Back