• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boot Space for fishing tackle

Watched a piece on youtube re the Skoda Superb, really impressive car, very reliable BIG Estate and all the extras... and cheapish to buy.
I have a Skoda Superb…it’s cavernous, lovely to drive long distances and the most economical car I’ve ever owned, it’s a 1.6 diesel green line and averages 65mpg on a long run (fully loaded) cruising at 70.

Depreciation is no worse than most other cars, Nissan certainly aren’t as bad as some. The 1.5dci engine (or versions of it) was used by multiple manufacturers.

I’m struggling to believe a 2 year old modern car somehow rusted unless it had been sat in a river for 6 months 😆 There’s a 12 year, unlimited mileage anti-corrosion warranty like almost all manufacturers these days.

Depreciation is no worse than most other cars, Nissan certainly aren’t as bad as some. The 1.5dci engine (or versions of it) was used by multiple manufacturers.

I’m struggling to believe a 2 year old modern car somehow rusted unless it had been sat in a river for 6 months 😆 There’s a 12 year, unlimited mileage anti-corrosion warranty like almost all manufacturers these days.
before struggling and laughing maybe you should read it !

I said he bought a 2 year old car and had it 2 years so it was 4 years old ! as 2+2=4 dunnit 🤔

and as he is a very practical sort of guy he got underneath it and as stated was shocked at the amount of rust it was far more than his X-trail that was a lot older that he had part exchanged
any way it was a pile of poo and if you look around at secondhand prices as I said the depreciation is amazing so we will agree to disagree about that !!!!
he got rid of it and lost a great deal of money for the 2 years he had owned it never mind the shed load he had spent on it he now has a Ford Kuga and loves it

Used to fish on my kawasaki gt 750, my last guzzi was okay electric wise once I had got the relays sorted, it did not like cold winter mornings though and no use for fishing at all, still would get another yeti with the optional 4 wheel drive, at least it has not consumed oil like the previous octavia did. How many will go angling with electric cars,one nearly ran me over at the local recycling centre , i just heard a slight whooshing sound and just managed to get out of the way.

No idea what that’s supposed to be showing? It’s just a list of issues that individuals have reported, every car in the world will have a similar list. The 1.5dci engine isn’t in the ‘bad points’ list, the tow bar part is irrelevant to that engine too as we have one fitted..

I’m just giving our personal experiences of owning one for 4 years running it every day, loading it up with bikes and fishing tackle, and taking it on 1,000 mile trips to the South of France 3 times. Not sure why people are trying to argue based on what they’ve found on the internet 🙃

The OP asked for opinions on a cheap to run, high up fishing car and I gave mine based on actual experience.

No idea what that’s supposed to be showing? It’s just a list of issues that individuals have reported, every car in the world will have a similar list. The 1.5dci engine isn’t in the ‘bad points’ list, the tow bar part is irrelevant to that engine too as we have one fitted..

I’m just giving our personal experiences of owning one for 4 years running it every day, loading it up with bikes and fishing tackle, and taking it on 1,000 mile trips to the South of France 3 times. Not sure why people are trying to argue based on what they’ve found on the internet 🙃

The OP asked for opinions on a cheap to run, high up fishing car and I gave mine based on actual experience.
The list is a lot longer than some of its rivals. It seems that not every owner had your experience.

I to have have a qashkia bought new in 2017 and it remains immaculate, but on the other hand my mates wife had one of the same year and she also had similar rust issues underneath, but personally I haven't used it for fishing as from the new season I have parted with my ageing zafira which as someone stated above are very suited to the modern day barbel angler.I have also in the quest to keep the Nissan as new ordered a full rear waterproof load cover from Rhino covers and a pair of matching seat covers tailored to fit the qashkia.

I have a 2017 qashkia which has remained in top condition underneath but my mates misses had one of the same year that also suffered similar rust issues as stated above .I have just parted with my 2011 zafira due to scaling down and managing with one car due to the current climate and as stated by someone previous they are an excellent fishing wagon and can be bought at a bargain price. I have also bought a full tailored waterproof load cover from Rhino seat covers and a pair of front seat covers to match in an attempt to keep the qashkia interior in good condition .

Must agree with Rob , mine has been trouble free in coming up to 5 years ownership and 55 to 60 miles to the gallon easily achieved and even more easily achieved.

I have a 2017 qashkia which has remained in top condition underneath but my mates misses had one of the same year that also suffered similar rust issues as stated above .I have just parted with my 2011 zafira due to scaling down and managing with one car due to the current climate and as stated by someone previous they are an excellent fishing wagon and can be bought at a bargain price. I have also bought a full tailored waterproof load cover from Rhino seat covers and a pair of front seat covers to match in an attempt to keep the qashkia interior in good condition .
Good point about the rear load space cover from Rhino. I bought one for the Yeti with the extra bit that hangs over the rear "bumper " (if cars had bumpers these days 😂) and it's brilliant! Not only does it save paintwork when loading and unloading, but I put my feet on it to do up laces and sit on it when I take a break from fishing. I never use the rear parcel parcel shelf. That sits in my garage. Definitely get a load space cover with the extra bit!

FORD RANGER !
I spent a couple of months in the Philippines and the Ford Rangers there are simply awesome

most have all Chrome bumpers wing mirrors grills etc and they look amazing I think its because the Philippines has a great USA influence at times you could easily think you were in the states but I did fall in love with the Ford Rangers the grills have the giant word FORD across it loved them

I had a ford C-Max and it swallowed gear. Nice upright driving position and not too expensive to run.

Hi Mike, I am in awe of your brother who has TWO Yeti's! One for fishing and one for normal use!! That's very impressive! I am on my 3rd Yeti and panicking as although it's only done 43,000 miles there will be a time when I have to change it. So, I will be watching this post for recommendations
If it’s anything like the other engines in the Volkswagen Audi Group then I think you’ve got a few miles left bud. Each of my previous three VWs have had in excess of 150k trouble free miles, one I got 170k out of it before it was chopped in.

How about a Volvo XC70, dull as ditch water, but offer raised ride height, estate capacity and 4WD. Also, they're normally driven by antique dealers or rural types, so the engines rarely stretched and go on for ever. Audi Allroad is similar more badge option.

Back