• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilies

Chris Allcock

I would like people's views and opinions on the best boilie for barbel as i am contemplating on which one to buy.

Thanks
Chris

make your own, not only is it more satisfying when you catch well but its an adventure in itself.

(note: might take you a while to get to a good bait, and cost you a few quid too)

The best one is likely to be the one that is used most frequently on the stretch(es) of water you intend to fish and hence catches the most fish. I would ask around and see what has been catching.

Personally I like Dynamite Marine Halibut but only because they catch on my local water, or do for me anyway.

Last edited:
Make your own, in the kitchen, from ground up Hali Pellets, preferably on or around June 15th, stink the house out, and the wife will be glad to see the back of you for a couple of days while she fumigates...... job sorted.

Dave.

I would like people's views and opinions on the best boilie for barbel as i am contemplating on which one to buy.

Thanks
Chris

I'm no expert. But I think that you'll need more than one :rolleyes: :D

Make your own, in the kitchen, from ground up Hali Pellets, preferably on or around June 15th, stink the house out, and the wife will be glad to see the back of you for a couple of days while she fumigates...... job sorted.

Dave.

So let's get this right. You take perfectly good halibut pellets. Grind them up and reform them as boilies - why? :confused:

Because I can flavour them in the mix , use them as a paste wrap if not boiled, or use them as a paste, use them as a straight boilie that will probably leak off more goodies than a pellet, crumble them and fill a feeder or pva bag with a softer bait than a pellet.......

Or just because I can.

;0)

Dave

Because I can flavour them in the mix , use them as a paste wrap if not boiled, or use them as a paste, use them as a straight boilie that will probably leak off more goodies than a pellet, crumble them and fill a feeder or pva bag with a softer bait than a pellet.......

Or just because I can.

;0)

Dave

But out of all that lot there is only one use for them as boilies and only one benefit - scent leakage and that is only a probable.

I think the last sentence is the key :D

To be fair, Barbel are fairly easy to catch on most baits (boilies included) as they get pre-occupied on feeding, so I wouldn't be spending too much on boilies....

....concentrate on feeding them without scaring them and they will take just about anything you put in front of them;)

If I were looking to put together a boilie bait for Barbel I would look at getting the cheapest fishmeal base mix I could find and just add some cod liver oil to aid rolling.

Paul

PS: In the past I have dallied with all sorts of home made boilies and had a lot of success with the simplest of baits - the best being made from cheese meal/meat meal and powdered blood:eek:

Had all of my Barbel out of the Thames last season on Carp Company Icelandic Reds or Spicy Lobster glugged in Aminol and Minaminol.

Spicy krill have accounted for a lot of Barbel over the past few seasons for me.

Last edited:
Fusion,active 8, grange, T1, spiced fish, aminos, four seasons, trigga, trigga ice, hi nu val, tutti frutti,scopex squid livers,enervite, big fish mix, 50/50 mix,club mix,salmon supreme, spiced squid, kingfish, theres a few to begetting on with,ive only given the bait name not the maker, google!

To be fair, Barbel are fairly easy to catch on most baits (boilies included) as they get pre-occupied on feeding, so I wouldn't be spending too much on boilies....
....concentrate on feeding them without scaring them and they will take just about anything you put in front of them;)

Paul

:

Couldn't agree more Paul. You can get 5kg of good fishmeal boilies for less that £6.50/kg delivered - they all work :eek:

Hinders blitz have worked for me over the past few years..although they (Hinders) seem to have altered them slightly this last season or so..Anyone know if this is fact or am I just been paranoid?:confused:

Back