• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilies.

On the bank and working it out
1 on a whittled down Atlantic heat and a lovely 8 on a 12mm krill/ redthing combo
Not sure what they are - possibly bloodworm but they work with a bit of colour in the river
Have a few secret weapons in reserve 😉
902A8FDD-F212-47BB-B461-CD9BDD8B87F8.jpeg

I completely get sticking to a proven product and the satisfaction of catching on a homemade HNV bait
I’m a bit more catholic when it comes to hookbaits
Just had a look at what I’ve got with me today and I have some pellets and meat
I only use these on the hook but have caught on every single one, just need to work it out on the day
8397637D-D894-4CB9-BFC5-20FA994B49F5.jpeg

JB user here too. Tried Taste F2 & Big Rivers mixes but had most success on Bio Shellfish with the Plum & Alaar Salar flavours in the recommended low doses; I know it seems like an ‘out there’ combination, but it’s one of John’s recommended recipes.

I prefer a softer bait to a harder one, so use Soya Oil for a more pliable paste wrap and softer finished bait with a short boil time and overnight air dry. I use the pellet type/extender stops for a bit of extra security from Chub plucking them off.

As others have said, there’s definitely an extra buzz from catching on a bait you’ve carefully made yourself. It’s not the faff that some may think it is, as long as you’ve got the facilities and/or an understanding other half.

I’m having some work done on the house at the moment and can’t access the shed, so unable to make my own. Had some instant success on CC Moore Pacific Tuna recently, so that was nice. Confidence in a bait that’s easily obtainable until I can go home in October.

I’d agree with the comments that Barbel will accept most baits when they’re on the munch, but higher (ingredient) quality boilies will outperform their cheaper counterparts over time, in my opinion.

JB user here too. Tried Taste F2 & Big Rivers mixes but had most success on Bio Shellfish with the Plum & Alaar Salar flavours in the recommended low doses; I know it seems like an ‘out there’ combination, but it’s one of John’s recommended recipes.

I prefer a softer bait to a harder one, so use Soya Oil for a more pliable paste wrap and softer finished bait with a short boil time and overnight air dry. I use the pellet type/extender stops for a bit of extra security from Chub plucking them off.

As others have said, there’s definitely an extra buzz from catching on a bait you’ve carefully made yourself. It’s not the faff that some may think it is, as long as you’ve got the facilities and/or an understanding other half.

I’m having some work done on the house at the moment and can’t access the shed, so unable to make my own. Had some instant success on CC Moore Pacific Tuna recently, so that was nice. Confidence in a bait that’s easily obtainable until I can go home in October.

I’d agree with the comments that Barbel will accept most baits when they’re on the munch, but higher (ingredient) quality boilies will outperform their cheaper counterparts over time, in my opinion.
I echo this too, very satisfying making and catching on your own hand made baits. I also use JB gear and had some results so far this year on Bioshellfish, plum and roast chicken (barbel, tench, carp and chub)

I completely get sticking to a proven product and the satisfaction of catching on a homemade HNV bait
I’m a bit more catholic when it comes to hookbaits
Just had a look at what I’ve got with me today and I have some pellets and meat
I only use these on the hook but have caught on every single one, just need to work it out on the dayView attachment 24956
Jesus H Christ!!! Have you got enough there?!!! 😂
I suppose you can never have enough though!🫡

Has anyone mentioned liver?

Those dumbells in the pot might be?
Liver, a brilliant ingredient in a basemix especially used alongside my favourite ingredient, garlic

I use cc moores Pacific tuna if I'm not making my own but I always buy some basemix to make my own hookbaits with. I add a few little extras to it just to give it my own edge and in my opinion make the hookbait a bit more appealing/nutritious/attractive

In the past I've used a local bait company that's no longer trading and the source. In all honesty though I think any high quality boilie will work. It's landing on the fish that's the most important part.

Has anyone tried using N-buteric acid in their barbel baits? The boilies I'm using at the moment have it in. They smell truly awful, but the carp seem to be finding and eating it, although early days yet.

Has anyone mentioned liver?

Those dumbells in the pot might be?
Yep liver & lamprey- all I have left and got me a fish yesterday
Tricky day but ringing the changes did add an odd fish
Baits I caught on yesterday
L&L
monster Crab/ Krill combo
Bloodworm 12mm - 3 fish on singles BOTD
Atlantic Heat - trimmed
Chunk of peperami fire stick- chub went mad for that but long hair kept them at bay

Has anyone tried using N-buteric acid in their barbel baits? The boilies I'm using at the moment have it in. They smell truly awful, but the carp seem to be finding and eating it, although early days yet.
I have Joe- got some at the barbel show a few years ago
The liver & lamprey boilies have few drops of it in the tub and it is strong 5+ years on
I stopped using it after getting covered in it trying to inject into deadbaits
Not good smelling like a decomposed rat for a week

I used to use that until I dropped a bottle in the kitchen!

Back