• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Black pudding for bait..

Tried it several times without positive result. But again it's a bait you might use when nothing else is working, and then it's not a fair test of its attraction properties/quality. I need to try it when the barbel are on the feed, whichever year that might happen 😳

Never tried it personally but it ticks the right boxes for a good barbel bait.
very meaty, high fat content and the consistency in uncooked form would be great for a buried hook. I’m sure they’d rattle it down if it was under their noses.

Never tried it personally but it ticks the right boxes for a good barbel bait.
very meaty, high fat content and the consistency in uncooked form would be great for a buried hook. I’m sure they’d rattle it down if it was under their noses.
Would be very interested in the results of a serious trial. Blood very effective in mince fishing for chub. Tried dried blood as groundbait for tench ingredient 20yrs ago inconclusive. Also remember reading a book where chub were eating the washout from a slaughter house many many years back, and could be caught on congealed blood paste.
On a lighter note might work on Ribble but may you struggle in Yorkshire.

I’d imagine it depends on how long the blood content takes to leak out, after that’s gone you’re left with a lump of stuff that’s probably lower in fat and flavour than the average butcher’s sausage. I reckon an eel would knab it before then...

If anyone wants to experiment, I’d happily be proved wrong! I tried cooked chorizo lumps a bit on the Hants Avon when I returned to river fishing a few years back. Never had a touch, but to be fair, it’s not really the place to test funky baits...

I’ve had results with chorizo oil with hemp, I use a lot of chorizo at my restaurant and each batch gives off a good 300ml of oil after cooking off. After discovering CC Moore sell a Chorizo extract for a lot more than free, I started to use it a bit. Whether it works or not, I don’t know, but it gives me a confidence boost!

If they’re there and they’re hungry, there’s probably not many fishy/meaty baits they wouldn’t take.

Would be very interested in the results of a serious trial. Blood very effective in mince fishing for chub. Tried dried blood as groundbait for tench ingredient 20yrs ago inconclusive. Also remember reading a book where chub were eating the washout from a slaughter house many many years back, and could be caught on congealed blood paste.
On a lighter note might work on Ribble but may you struggle in Yorkshire.

You obviously haven't heard of Barnsley's Albert 'The Black Pudding King' Hirst who won countless medals for his black puddings.

The story goes back to the Middle Ages when news reached Yorkshire that there were some people living over the other side of t'hill who only ate the feet and stomach of their animals and threw the rest away. Yorkshire folk being naturally generous offered to send missionaries into Lancashire to try and convince people that they could actually eat the whole cow, not just its heels and stomach and that pigs were equally edible. Whenever this was suggested the strange little people would go to the foot of their stairs and make a brew. But they never grasped the principle. So Yorkshire farmers and butchers got rich by selling tripe, cow's heels and pig's trotters to the strange western folk and keeping the best bits for those in God's Broad Acres.

And that is why Lancashire cuisine peaks at hot-pot, faggots and aforesaid offal, and they never reached the culinary heights of roast beef and Yorkshire Puddings.

if i remember rightly a small group of us pre baited a carp pit in the early 70's. yes , that long ago, and it proved very successful for at least a season . we then started to use additives to keep it going. The first use of sweetcorn also produced some amazing results. Oh happy days!!!!!

I remember once using blood as a groundbait additive for tench many moons ago. As I recall it didn't put the tench off but it certainly wasn't good enough to make me want to do it twice.....

Maybe 10 plus years ago a very big Barbel from the Gt Ouse was reported by the weeklies as being caught on black pudding.

Would it have been caught using more conventional baits? Who knows..

Given that Chorizo has smoked paprika as flavouring and Robin Red is basically smoked paprika then there is no reason why chorizo wouldn't be a good bait for barbel and carp especially as the meat and fat will also be an attractant. I have used small chorizo sausages, the type that you can buy in Aldi and Lidl with four or five pieces in a packet. Unopened they last for years so a handy packet to have as a standby bait.

I have never tried black pudding, but again it has ingredients that are successful in other baits. One of the reasons that I haven't tried it is that in my experience there is no need. Luncheon meat and home made meat balls made from roughly minced pork, sieved ground maize and hemp as binder and smoked paprika as flavouring along with a touch of salt cover that side of things. Although Alex Warren has given me an idea that I could render down some chorizo and use the juices to flavour the luncheon meat and meat balls as I do with chorizo and lardons to flavour chicken thighs when making a paella. I reckon that frying a few pieces of chorizo to release the fat and then using that to cook cubes of luncheon meat in might give a better bait than the smoked paprika in a bag trick.

Food for thought 😂

That’s the one I was thinking of, well off the mark with the river though!

Easy for me to remember as the wife and I stayed in his accommodation and we chatted about the fame of being on the front page of the angling mags (think he was Angling Times, I was Anglers Mail). Although I was 18 with a snotty bream and he had a 20lb+ barbel. I'd swap in an instant 😂

I tried it last year, nothing but a few taps, no where near as effective as meat so, if it ain't broke...

Back