• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bit of fun... What's everyone's preferred boilie of choice

If I'm rolling my own - John Baker Bio Shellfish with added Plum & Ala Salar flavours in super low concentrations.

If I'm buying a bag of shelf life for convenience - Sticky Krill.

I've tried various others over the years, from the main brands to the smaller bait companies, nothing has really stood out as being 'better' than the anything else, so Sticky Krill is what I've settled on.

The only ones that stood out as a bit of a ‘duffer’ were Hinders Elips Dumbells - seemed very bland in scent and a strange hard, almost plasticky texture to them. That was when they first released them, so they may have changed since then.

Mostly make my own using JB ingredients…but occasionally use CCMoore pacific tuna or Dynamite Source. The original Mainline Grange was a very effective boilie for me many yrs ago (20???)
I used Grange in 1995 , got it straight from Mainlines factory at the time , great bait ! Although never used it for Barbel

One if the most devastating baits I've ever used was something called Ant Baits apricot and guava. Basically a fishmeal with the fruity flavours mixed. I had so many barbel on that bait, but within a few weeks the high attract bait got sussed by the fish.

Now I use J. B baits and make my own small batches.... Which I need to use up!

Tried the dynamite source boilies & paste, & although I know it did well for many, just couldn't get a bite on it!

Here is mine ….

IMG_2217.jpeg

David .

coming back to fishing 15 years ago I had never heard of boilies. When I did, I bought a kilo and took 3 or 4 with me for a session. lasted ages! Yes, I have always been an idiot and advancing years merely have given me more practice so I am really good now. But I finally fell on a boilie by a company called Ocean Fresh. It was halibut colour ie dark but I cant remember the name. Point is by the time I was really getting successful on it the company went bust. Weird that I took so long to find a replacement in which I had total confidence, because it worked more times than not. I tried making my own once but the RSM banned me from the kitchen for life from ever repeating the sticky process. Could try the girlfriend's kitchens I suppose!

coming back to fishing 15 years ago I had never heard of boilies. When I did, I bought a kilo and took 3 or 4 with me for a session. lasted ages! Yes, I have always been an idiot and advancing years merely have given me more practice so I am really good now. But I finally fell on a boilie by a company called Ocean Fresh. It was halibut colour ie dark but I cant remember the name. Point is by the time I was really getting successful on it the company went bust. Weird that I took so long to find a replacement in which I had total confidence, because it worked more times than not. I tried making my own once but the RSM banned me from the kitchen for life from ever repeating the sticky process. Could try the girlfriend's kitchens I suppose!
Ocean fresh.... Was that the company that did rosehip isotonic boilies (Misteral baits?) 🤔

Ocean fresh.... Was that the company that did rosehip isotonic boilies (Misteral baits?) 🤔
They were over towards you Julian. Hayes/slough area. Run by an ex policeman I was told. Closed down maybe 10 years ago.
My favourite now are spotted fin, sweetcorn. Its a very remarkable mix , shelf life, doesn't change consistency doused with other flavours, takes glugs and remains soft. I would love Richard I to put his expertise on what it is they use!. I asked if they would supply it unflavoured but without success.
I am trialling for fjuka their new squeeze ready paste. I think its the best thing they have ever done imho. The texture when kneaded is brilliant. I coat baits with it and its like a red covered swiss cheese .Quite the best paste product I have ever seen. I spend more time on pastes than fishing these days and have quite a few proprietary offerings. Oh yes boy does it catch. Had 2 on ,twice, first day out with it last Monday! Over ten in less than 4 hours, warm water too, from 2 to 14lb. Sorry but no barbel though!

They were over towards you Julian. Hayes/slough area. Run by an ex policeman I was told. Closed down maybe 10 years ago.
My favourite now are spotted fin, sweetcorn. Its a very remarkable mix , shelf life, doesn't change consistency doused with other flavours, takes glugs and remains soft. I would love Richard I to put his expertise on what it is they use!. I asked if they would supply it unflavoured but without success.
I am trialling for fjuka their new squeeze ready paste. I think its the best thing they have ever done imho. The texture when kneaded is brilliant. I coat baits with it and its like a red covered swiss cheese .Quite the best paste product I have ever seen. I spend more time on pastes than fishing these days and have quite a few proprietary offerings. Oh yes boy does it catch. Had 2 on ,twice, first day out with it last Monday! Over ten in less than 4 hours, warm water too, from 2 to 14lb. Sorry but no barbel though!
I love making fresh paste too... Albeit when cray fish activity slows down a bit!

Good luck Alec, 👍 Recently bought some Fjuka hali pellets for my next trip out. Gonna give Richards boillie recipe first shot. But if no luck, i'll try the pellets. Let us know how you get on with your trials.

Good luck Alec, 👍 Recently bought some Fjuka hali pellets for my next trip out. Gonna give Richards boillie recipe first shot. But if no luck, i'll try the pellets. Let us know how you get on with your trials.
I have them Derek. Seem to work. Not found anything as yet which I would say is Whow. But the paste is , I think, something else. What I find is normal paste I use is gone off the bait very quickly. This red, almost waxy feel is still on 30 mins later when I retrieve. Never had that before. Am I right paste is hopeless on a flowing river?

Back