• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bit of fun... What's everyone's preferred boilie of choice

Connor Smith

Just for a bit of fun, what's everyone's preferred boilie of choice. Boilies play a big part in most of our barbel fishing now and with so many different brands out there I bet we're all using so many different brands. I'm not asking for recommendations by the way and I also know that you can catch barbel on meat, maggots, pellets etc 😂

I've been using the new pro stim liver from CC Moore this season but it was a very close call with baitworks Atlantic heat which I've thought about using for a few seasons now.
I also used to use the source and done fairly well on that.

Source for me too

Not sure I’ll use another off the shelf boilie for barbel , just make my own now , I find it’s more effective and cheaper, plus I vary flavours and levels depending on venue.
Size and shape also infinitely variable.
It’s a win win for me .

Never ever had much joy with boilies, tried lots, always seem to go back to meat, corn, pellets. But hey ho, each to there own. Maybe one day, i'll find one that works. :)
Overall I reckon I'm with Derek on this one. I must have tried 20+ different boilies over the years and they'll all 'work', but (IMO) only as they are bait i.e. they're edible and nutritious, so they get eaten. Basically I believe (on balance) that the flavour is the main attractant not the actual boilie (amino acid blah blah) content. So these days I may buy a new glug but not a new boilie (but I do still have success with the now unavailable PCB's Garlic & Blue Cheese, and Scopex Squid).

I so wish that Mainline Baits still produced the Maple 8 base mix and activator liquid. Never has a bait filled me with so much confidence. Rolled my own and it worked anywhere and year round ☹️

Currently using Baitworks Royal Marine. Carp and big chub seem to go made for it, but yet to catch a barbel on it!

All time favourite is Trigga (summer/early Autumn), Trigga Ice late Autumn - Spring.

Make my own from base mix but a very good one that's caught me Chub and Barbel on the Stour, Avon and Severn is Dynamite Hot Krab n Krill. Much softer than many shelf life baits. Hook baits left on the window sill to harden for a couple of days. I know of some very good freezer baits you can buy but not fair that I blow people's bait! Really, it's difficult to go wrong now there are so many but I don't believe one boilie is the same as the next. Some are clearly preferred. Of course sometimes a pellet, maggots or meat is a better option.

Like Terry I’ve used a few different baits over the years,gone from meat to pellet,anything with anchovy came next,then onto Quest baits for a while followed by Nutrabaits River Plus and latterly Retro Baits Animal( sadly Nick stopped making bait) Still got a small amount left,when that’s gone I’ll probably go with Trigga Ice
I generally fish two rods,boilie on one and pellet on the other and results have pretty much been 50/50.This last year I’ve been using Severn Vally Baits Ambush on the pellet rod and results have been very encouraging 👍👍

IMG_1084.JPG

These, Hopefully.

My mate has had three Carp to 33lb on our other bait, so I'm hoping to get amongst the Barbel when I get a chance to use my boilies.

Sticky baits krill for me, always struggled to get a bite on source which is bizarre as I know it's a great bait so probably down user error

Back