• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bit of advice please from you Southern lads...

Steve Williams

I've got to take the wife and mother-in-law down to London on Monday.
They are having the day in the city.

I'm not invited, other than as chauffeur......

So what I'm looking for somewhere I can drop them off, on the outskirts of London, near a train/tube station, so they can get into the city easily, and I can then go fishing.
Ideally it need to be dayticket, as I'll have to get my ticket on the morning....

Not really looking at Barbel fishing, as it looks like the temp will be on the way down, so thinking possibly Perch/Pike/Chub....

Does anyone have any advise on where I could go?

Happy to receive PM's, and it goes without saying that any info you share will go no further......;)

Steve

You could try Little Britain Steve, it's at Cowley on the outskirts of Uxbridge, if you look for Packet Boat Lane on the map you'll find it.
Depending on traffic, you could be on the bank within 30 mins of Chiswick flyover.
It used to be day ticket, but is now free fishing, Little Britain takes it's name from the lake there, but is bordered on both sides by the River Colne and river Frays, which are also free.
It has good general species fishing, and fishing within sight of your car, i can't speak for it now it's been about 12 years since i fished there, but back then it was pretty prolific fishing, for Chub, Barbel, Dace, Roach, Pike, and Perch.
The lake mainly, Carp, Tench, Bream, Roach and Pike.

Ian.

Just a thought. If you are coming in on the A40M you could drop them at Uxbridge which has a direct tube into central London and then you are very near to the Colne river and valley with quite a few lakes too. I'm not a member of any of these waters but I'm sure there are one or two reading this who are and can do a guest ticket. Good luck.

Good shout Ian - fished the Colne by the little Britian lake a couple of years ago the free bit and caught a few nice chub. And there's a commercial day ticket water 'Farlows' just across from the little britain lake, the Colne there alongside it is pretty good for chub, perch and roach - tickets bought on the bank and they have tackle shop and cafe.

Many thanks to all who have posted and PM'ed me ;):)

I've been promising myself a day with GE for a while now, and thanks to a kind offer from the man himself, it looks like that might be happening on Monday, but cheers for the info anyway lads, I might well have a look at Little Britain another time......

Steve

I bet i know where you're taking him GE..... I might come over if it's cold enough for the roach ;)

Hate the place, although there are some good roach and perch!!! Do they still do Bacon Sarnies?

I am all out of Mars bars by the way, when are we doing another day on the Avon??

Hi men,

Until last Saturday we were "Soft Southerners " , that was until a non league side turned over the mighty Wolves :p . Funny mate , will be passing each other on that day !, we are coming your way !, otherwise you could have had a day on a quality stretch with us . Another time mate .

Happy Hatter

Hate the place, although there are some good roach and perch!!! Do they still do Bacon Sarnies?

I am all out of Mars bars by the way, when are we doing another day on the Avon??

Some time soon would be good Ian, cold spell coming in though. Might have to wait until the pressure drops......
A day in the week is good for me.

Oh, and i'm on a no beer and choccy diet......you should be too :eek:

Steve, drop them at North Ealing or Ealing Broadway (both Zone 3). I'm pretty sure there is no congestion charge here and the travel cards will be cheaper.
Rgds
Paul

Steve

As you are coming south of Watford Gap please remember to bring your passport for GE to stamp up.

Mike

Steve, if you are in that situation again, I would be happy to get you a day ticket on my clubs short stretch of the Colne at Rickmansworth, or for the lake which borders it. Neither are prolific waters compared to your regular fisheries, to put it mildly (Conrad can describe the river for you) but there are certainly good fish to be had given a bit of luck on the day (barbel more so, but there are pike there)

The fishery is a few hundred yards from the local Metropolitan line station, which will take the girls directly into central London (Baker Street or Marylebone are non change direct from there) For about £11.50/£12 each they can get a travel card at the station which will get them into town and back, and almost unlimited travel all day on the London underground and buses while they are there....fares for the day sorted!

Any time mate.

Cheers, Dave.

Yep Steve dont forget to bring a big box full with you what with this cold snap on the way...:eek:

Back