• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big chub

Depends on the prevailing conditions I'd say. After the floods we have just had I would imagine as the rivers drop the chub will really go on the feed.

Ideal conditions for smelly baits of which chub love. I shall be chubbing a heavily coloured river this weekend with bread and pastes for baits.

ATB
Ash

Just what I was hoping to do Ash. I'm off work Friday and not been doing so well with the Barbel so thought a change to chub but my local rivers still carrying a bit of extra water and colour. I've got the cheese paste and blue cheeses flavoured bread flake and crust ready.
I've done done a lot of chub fishing in coloured water I'm usualy after Barbel but like I say not had a lot of luck with them this season so I was just wondering what others thought abd chub in theses conditions.
Scaz

Chub don't usually like coloured water that much, not as much as roach and barbel anyway. But I had an interesting day a few years ago on the Cherwell. I had gone chubbing with just bread for bait and mashed bread for ground bait. When I got there I was dismayed to find the river the colour of tea, I had completely misjudged the effect of the nights rain. I wasn't barbel fishing the river in those days so I had no choice but to carry on as planned. I baited the usual crease and steady glide swims and fished with very big lumps of flake on a size 6. I ended the day with four chub in the 3.5 - 4.10 bracket, two bream about five pounds and a 1.13 roach! I subsequently read that huge lumps of bread are the best bait for chub in these conditions.

At last my first double figure chub . . . .or so I thought. . .

14-12-0 grass carp from a river !!!

richard-borley-albums-dicks-fish-picture5258-sam-0268.jpg

What a unexpected cracker, Dave Howes told me he caught one from the Avon trotting bread for the Roach about 20 years ago and thought the same.On the Roach tackle he could see it for a long while during the fight and believed he would break the Chub record if he got it out.

Mark,

I was chub fishing with bread and the first time I saw it I thought 'that's a big chub' the second time I saw it I thought'that is huge, a record by miles'
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I realised.
Interestingly a mate caught it in June 2008 (on bread again) at 14-6-0.

Richard

Richard. Imagine if you had lost it after seeing it and believing it was a chub!!!

Far worse I imagine than its capture.

Not mentioned but what about maggots on an in-line feeder?

Phil Smith uses a heavy but small feeder with a short 6'' fluorocarbon hook-link with 3 plastic maggots on a hair. Really works for him.

I'd imagine it would take Barbel and big Roach too?

Richard, ..one of the best, and fun methods of catching Hamp Avon chub in the 80s was to use a small Drennan green round feeder and a very short link with maggots. You would be targeting a visible shoal, say in mid river who were not having a static bait on the day. The light feeder was cast just upstream and with the rod held high, was allowed to roll through the fish. The bites were great and many fish would fall for it before the bites dried up.
Heres one of two sevens that I caught in Sept. using 3 rubber casters.

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5275-2014-09-05-18-55-23-7-02-avon-chub-one-two-7s-caught-week.jpg

My mate managed to put his finger over the lense when I was smiling, but the grumpy look [ usually reservered for swim jumpers! ] was probally a combination of it being the evening of the 5th consecutive days 12hr session and...
too much sun
too much beer
too much walking
with too much gear!!:D

Very nice fish, congratulations.

Never had a seven, but plenty of fish over six. I'm hoping the Trent will turn one up for me. I'm looking to increase my hair length, as I'm sure many of the rod top knocks are chub while barbel fishing.

We did not have in-line feeders in the 80s did we? But I could try what you mentioned with a heavy black cap feeder. The in-line ones are too big in my humble opinion.

Regarding high water, some good friends of mine, and good chub anglers really did like high water, fining down. I fished for chub in all conditions and found after dark good in winter. Bit too old for all that now, but my old bones suffer for it still.

Regards.

Richard if the long hair does not work for your Chub you might try fishing a pop-up tight to a longshank hook.I started to fish them for barbel that were being a bit careful and caught lots of chub.I use a gardner pop-up hook aligner and a Taska boilie spike with an oval ring, on a long shank hook.The bait is then close to the eye and it makes the fish get the hook point before getting the bait and it seems Chub find it difficult to sort.I use a shot very close to the hook eye.Not pretty but very effective.

Super Chub. Well done Dave

Hi Mark.

I often use long shank crystal. I think the fact that the fish have only the shank behind the bait encourages them to engulf it without fear when its lipped if you get me.

Graham

For a lot of years i used to fish the Dorset stour every winter for Chub with the stickfloat and maggot.Every year the Barbel anglers used to say they were missing numbers of barbel pull rounds.Those crafty Chub realised that they could lip the hair rigged boilie and dive away dragging the rod round and pulling the bait from the hair,The missed bites had to be seen to be believed . Chub can be the most careful of fish,unless you have a gallon of maggots and a float rod.

Very nice fish, congratulations.

Never had a seven, but plenty of fish over six. I'm hoping the Trent will turn one up for me. I'm looking to increase my hair length, as I'm sure many of the rod top knocks are chub while barbel fishing.

We did not have in-line feeders in the 80s did we? But I could try what you mentioned with a heavy black cap feeder. The in-line ones are too big in my humble opinion.

Regarding high water, some good friends of mine, and good chub anglers really did like high water, fining down. I fished for chub in all conditions and found after dark good in winter. Bit too old for all that now, but my old bones suffer for it still.

Regards.

Thanks Richard,..I was'nt blowing me own trumpet, :D... I was just confirming that even those wiley old 7lb'ers fall for arti's sometimes!

Ref. page 4 of this thread regarding hair lengths for chub,..only my own personal experiences I might add.

Excuse me for yet again slipping into nostalgia re. the feeders,..you are right that inlines were'nt really around in the 80's,..but we use to adapt our own.
I'm sure Phil's setup does the business, as the fella has had 'just a bit' more time on the bank than your's truly!:D
All the best
dt

Since the demise of the Cherwell I really miss winter chub fishing. The WA has a few good fish but the Cherwell was the ultimate river for mashed bread/crust/flake approach. A small to medium sized river with a terrific variety of swims and the chub were likely to be virtually anywhere. I have been thinking about trying some winter chubbing on the Leam but have no idea of it's current stock or potential. Anyone got any ideas how it stacks up as a chub river these days?

Since the demise of the Cherwell I really miss winter chub fishing. The WA has a few good fish but the Cherwell was the ultimate river for mashed bread/crust/flake approach. A small to medium sized river with a terrific variety of swims and the chub were likely to be virtually anywhere. I have been thinking about trying some winter chubbing on the Leam but have no idea of it's current stock or potential. Anyone got any ideas how it stacks up as a chub river these days?

Alex
don't write off the Cherwell, the fishing might be harder now, but there are some big lumps to be had, Shipton through to Gosford. Have you considered the upper Thames, some beautiful stretches with lots of variety and features, the river is a lot smaller here and very twisty, with a good head of big chub, again location is the key. Unless there is a match on you will have the river to yourself, perfect for the mobile approach. Quite a few sixes caught in the matches.
Mick

Thanks Mick, I find on the Cherwell even bread on a cold day attracts crays! Are the upper Thames stretches (Lechlade area I presume?) day tickets? I haven't fished the Thames for a while and so not too sure if the crayfish problem is as bad as the Cherwell.

Back