• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big barbel

Chris,

Just a thought, but there's a BFW fish-in on the Severn, organised by Dean Aston. Why not come along? You'll pick up plenty of tips and have a laugh. At least, that's what I intend to do :)

Will do mate definitely, sounds like a Plan as soon as the river opens back ,sick of sticking my hook in a gold fish bowl catching carp it's boring now lol:)

been fishing for barbel for past 5 years solid never had a
double figured barbel yet. but my m8 have had double figured barbel left/ right
off me ive give up chasing big barbel so i just enjoy getting out on the river. if i get one this year i be over the moon if not i carry on catching up to 8/8 pb

If you're catching Barbel of any size then just keep it going. So long as you're fishing rivers/areas that contain doubles then they're bound to turn up from time to time. For years of fishing on the middle Severn I'd never had a Barbel over 8lb then managed a good 10 three summers ago then beat it on the Avon less than a year later with my current PB. I didn't do much different to what I'd done before but law of averages played in my favour. I'm not obsessed with catching doubles as I'm just happy being out and catching knowing that from time to time there's a big fish with my name on it. Just enjoy it.

Can anyone tell me which river to fish for big barbel and where abouts thanks

Straight to the point Chris:) You have the Middle Severn on your doorstep, it a start, but the further downstream you go on most rivers the bigger they get, which is why I live in Tewkesbury:eek: The Avon and Severn are stiff with 15lb plus barbel down here.

I think catching a big Barbel myself is being in the right place at the right time and if you look into the sentence its absolutely bang on. Right place; have any decent barbel been recorded here. Right time; well there is certain months and certain conditions that do certainly optimise those chance's.
Anything other than that is maybe the law of averages, one may indeed come along. I look at this as an elongated triangle; the acute point is the one big barbel and everything else; well you just have to get through that.

Me and my outlook now is to enjoy Barbel fishing, if the place and time is right, then one may come along and if it doesnt, well thats the law of averages...

And here's another thought......

I was last season becoming a bit 'temperature obsessed'. Well, the freezing cold weather put paid to that theory. Although I had a lean spell when it was really cold on the Kennet I did see big fish come out in reasonable numbers during that period. As one very well respected angler said to me, "When you have to scrape the ice off the car get yourself down here".

Sorry for going slightly off subject there.....I also work on the 75% theory and I remember back in the 90's when a 7lb fish was a good fish and you could catch 25 fish on a good day (averaging 3-4lb). Last season saw me average 1 fish per trip, but that's just how it is now. At times I'd rather have 5 x 5lbers each session than wait for that ONE awesome fish - yet it's the prospect of the biggie that has kept me going back there for 28 years!!

Chris,

Just a thought, but there's a BFW fish-in on the Severn, organised by Dean Aston. Why not come along? You'll pick up plenty of tips and have a laugh. At least, that's what I intend to do :)

Chris a 8 lb barbel is a good barbel mate and your double is a bit special if you do a double a season off the middle you done well. You might have to take a step backwards before going forward if you just stated to fish for barbel but you heading the right way. Its not all double or bust just yet . Good idea by Rich to come down mate some good lads will be there just sit watch and ask im sure they help

Chris a 8 lb barbel is a good barbel mate and your double is a bit special if you do a double a season off the middle you done well. You might have to take a step backwards before going forward if you just stated to fish for barbel but you heading the right way. Its not all double or bust just yet . Good idea by Rich to come down mate some good lads will be there just sit watch and ask im sure they help

Will do mate thanks

Back