• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big barbel

Every river that has barbel in it contains a big barbel! Its just your perception of whats big that counts.

Can I ask a question Chris what is your P.B.?

My fishing bud fishes a small Wiltshire river and when you see a fish that goes maybe 7 or 8 it looks massive!!!

Well Chris your local rivers done fish to over 16lb and as far as Im concerned thats massive.
But the road to big barbel as far as I am concerned has no short cuts. And as far as this website is concerned I doubt you will get much joy by asking where do I catch a big barbel like I said no short cuts especially when your questions are so blunt. Most anglers on here have strived for years to land what is a fish of a lifetime wether from a local river to them or by traveling around the country. Most big fish have come through very hard work long hours and lots of research. Here below is a list of the river records openly available to all on here:
Barbel records
Read the river reports page look at the gallery and head out into the new season with the understanding that nothing comes easy especially information on here good luck!
Regards Clive

Chris if river Severn is your local river there are loads in there mate. Hampton Loade has a fair few over your pb .Just got to put the work in mate your local river is my local river

Bit of a banal question in the first place. You're obviously doing ok having caught a 'double', and you're obviously a young guy as you don't know what constitutes a big barbel. Stick around this site and you might learn a bit.....

Alas, I've never caught a big barbel so can't help you :)

Like Dean says put in the hours and find out for yourself. Wheres the fun in being told which river/stretch/peg/swim/rig/bait ect ect? There's asking for a bit of help and there's swim chasing....

Last edited:
Bit of a banal question in the first place. You're obviously doing ok having caught a 'double', and you're obviously a young guy as you don't know what constitutes a big barbel. Stick around this site and you might learn a bit.....

Alas, I've never caught a big barbel so can't help you :)

If 28 is classed as being young then Ye I'm young lol only been fishing barbel for about a year and it's the best fishing I've ever done, obviously every one wants to beat there pb which is what I'm tryin to do, just after advice from different people thanks again all:)

I've fished the Severn man and boy for around 50 years and it took me close to 30 years before I caught my first double so to have a double in your first season means you're doing considerably better than me.:D

If 28 is classed as being young then Ye I'm young lol only been fishing barbel for about a year and it's the best fishing I've ever done, obviously every one wants to beat there pb which is what I'm tryin to do, just after advice from different people thanks again all:)

There are fish that will obliterate your PB swiming around the middle Severn.
BUT, a genuine 10lb 1oz Barbel from the middle Severn is a stunning fish.

A few years ago that would have been a real red letter day.

IMO the Severn has changed /is changing.

Certainly more bigger fish, but less of them.
Trust me Chris, every stretch of the middle holds big barbel. I'm not taking 15 & 16lb fish, but certainly 11's and 12's, which by middle Severn standards are big fish.

If your happy to travel, then there are countless rivers that will produce bigger Barbel.
Kennet, Ouse, Trent, Wensum, Dove, Hampshire Avon, Dorset Stour, Loddon, Warks Avon..... I could go on......

It all depends on what you want from your fishing.
Me, I'm happy to catch the best I can from my local venues......

Steve

Chris,

Just a thought, but there's a BFW fish-in on the Severn, organised by Dean Aston. Why not come along? You'll pick up plenty of tips and have a laugh. At least, that's what I intend to do :)

Back