• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW Donation for a wreath for steve stringer

Donated, saddened by the loss of a fellow angler pursuing his beloved hobby.

Hi all,

We've had an amazing response to Steve's fund. It currently totals £246!

Wreath's seem to be around £50 leaving a good chunk for the charity.

There has been some talk of buying something to put in place at the river, possibly at Steve's favourite swim. A bench or plaque has been mentioned. We'd need permission for this though. Does anyone know who we'd contact if we went down this route?

Is there anyone willing to lend me a hand in organising this, who is likely to know when the funeral is and who knows the fishery?

What do people think about the idea of trying to put something in place to remember Steve by? It obviously impacts the charity money...

Regards,

Andy F

Andy. I think it would be an excellent idea.

I have send a message to the person who would be involved and copied you asking him to reply to both.

I'm am also sure that if we go ahead we can raise a bit more if needed.

Graham

Last edited:
Hi men,

Graham , thought you would know who to contact . Obviously Del for the fishery permission , I though of a nice tree/plaque on the bends upstream , or where the path comes onto the river ?.

Hatter

During past few years Steve was nearly always at the Tree Stump swim on the bend 2nd / 3rd bend upstream from the footpath. NIce spot with a bit of sun. There's a tree planted and plaque for an angler set back near there.

Hi Nick

Yes he was often there. And as I mentioned to Andy there is a precedent that you also noted.

IMO Its either there or where he was on that fateful last day. Downstream 200 yards from the path under the tree in the snag swim.

Graham

Well done all you Barbellers....Great idea Andy...

HI All
Very sad news about Steve, have known Steve for over twenty years, fished together quite a bit a few years back, I would like to help out with any memorial plaque or tree on lower Benyons, probably on the bends where he fished most of the time, nice sunny spot
Graham please pm with any details

Regards

Wayne

Hi all,

We've had an amazing response to Steve's fund. It currently totals £246!

Wreath's seem to be around £50 leaving a good chunk for the charity.

There has been some talk of buying something to put in place at the river, possibly at Steve's favourite swim. A bench or plaque has been mentioned. We'd need permission for this though. Does anyone know who we'd contact if we went down this route?

Is there anyone willing to lend me a hand in organising this, who is likely to know when the funeral is and who knows the fishery?

What do people think about the idea of trying to put something in place to remember Steve by? It obviously impacts the charity money...

Regards,

Andy F

Hi Andy, Heard today that The Reading Coroner has not released Steve"s body to his family yet. The release should take place in the next 2 days. So no Funeral arrangements yet. I found this out from the Coroners office today as Mike O"Neil owner of Lone Angler wants to send a wreath. I think a plaque or bench would be a fitting tribute to remember Steve.

Last edited:
Latest news is that the PM showed no water in Steve's lungs which seems he had a heart attack or similar before entering the water.

Not confirmed but it seems the Funeral may be 15th November at North Waltham.

I will try and find out more detail as it becomes available.

Thank you to everybody who has kindly contributed to make such a fantastic sum of monies

Graham

Steve"s Funeral is on Friday 15th November at 10.15 am at Basingstoke Crem. Funeral Directors are Jonathan Williams Basingstoke. Phone 01256 817603 Regarding Flowers.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Ray, Yes it brings it home to you Mark doesn't it..Makes you stop and think....

A thank you to you Andy, and everyone who's helped organised this.

Back