• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW 14mm Halips Pellets

Used Hinders elips for the first time this season, caught well with large pellets on the hook and feeding a mixture of small and medium. Fed pellets using an open end feeder plugged with small amounts of ground pellet.

Had my best catch using pellet on the severn, so first impressions of Hinders are very good.

Hi Kevin,

What size are the large ones fella?

Because Hinders do not state an actual size, I took a guess at medium when I ordered, but was disappointed at how small they are when they arrived. They are much too small in my opinion for hook baits for this time of year, even if I glued one either side of the hair in a pellet sandwich :D.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men ,

Rich , not people selling them , people making them . Chat with Steve at T7 , he knows his stuff.

Hatter

Hatter,

Yes, understood the distinction you were making between 'making' and 'selling'....but (and no-one on here knows absolutely) I'd still wager that there's more than one manufacturer.

Hexagraph Dave

Hi mate

It is you isn't it, used to be on the Wasing?

You might remember me as KJ and Jez's mate Mullet.

I had a lot of fish on those BFW pellets too during my seasons on the Wasing, in fact up until about March this year I still had about half a tub of the small ones and a full tub of the large ones in my Dad's shed. I seem to remember chucking them out when I was clearing out my old stuff in case they had gone rancid (they were about four or five seasons old!). I'm down at the weekend for a night so I'll have a look for them. If they're still there, you're still on the Wasing and you want to give them a try, let me know!

I'm going to be giving the Bankside XL Grubbers a go as one bait this season, so fingers crossed I can double my doubles tally with them.

Cheers
Martin

There is definitely more than one pellet manufacturer, not many more though. I won't say who we used to get ours from in case we start selling them again. Sounds like we should do...!

Cheers,

Andy F

I wish you would Andy - personally I haven't been able to find any pellets as good as your large elips and halips and the crushed pellet.

There is definitely more than one pellet manufacturer, not many more though. I won't say who we used to get ours from in case we start selling them again. Sounds like we should do...!

Cheers,

Andy F

Andy,
I never understood why you stopped selling them – can you get me a bucket of Halips ?
Dave

Hi mate

It is you isn't it, used to be on the Wasing?

You might remember me as KJ and Jez's mate Mullet.

I had a lot of fish on those BFW pellets too during my seasons on the Wasing, in fact up until about March this year I still had about half a tub of the small ones and a full tub of the large ones in my Dad's shed. I seem to remember chucking them out when I was clearing out my old stuff in case they had gone rancid (they were about four or five seasons old!). I'm down at the weekend for a night so I'll have a look for them. If they're still there, you're still on the Wasing and you want to give them a try, let me know!

I'm going to be giving the Bankside XL Grubbers a go as one bait this season, so fingers crossed I can double my doubles tally with them.

Cheers
Martin

Martin - Yes it is me ....I'll PM you later
Dave

Hi Kevin,

What size are the large ones fella?

Because Hinders do not state an actual size, I took a guess at medium when I ordered, but was disappointed at how small they are when they arrived. They are much too small in my opinion for hook baits for this time of year, even if I glued one either side of the hair in a pellet sandwich :D.

Cheers, Dave.

Hiya David,

Large pellets are 10mm square by 5mm deep. Used 2 glued together and banded or 3 drilled and pulled the band through. When i felt i needed more attraction i wrapped them in paste made from the ground pellet powder.

Regards
Kevin.

I thought the official line was that Mrs F got fed up with smelling of fish oil, as bagging pellets is a messy business?

Andy - If you start selling them again then I would buy them from you. The buckets they came in were also very useful.

Mine and helens best arrow barbel including my river record of 12.02 came out on the bfw ellips pellets[glued back to back on a hair with a small gardner band] and for the extra attraction we wrapped our fave jb bio shellfish paste.
We both still have a few glugged pots left but slowly running out,wish you could get those going again andy,nothing has come close.
Hope the new arrival is doing well,say hello to claire from helen and mick.

Mh

Hiya David,

Large pellets are 10mm square by 5mm deep. Used 2 glued together and banded or 3 drilled and pulled the band through. When i felt i needed more attraction i wrapped them in paste made from the ground pellet powder.

Regards
Kevin.

Many thanks for that Kevin, 10mm square sounds much more like it :D As I say, a shame Hinders don't bother telling us the sizes on the add...everyone else list's pellet sizes :rolleyes:.

I did make some paste up from the ground pellets before the start, using eggs as the liquid, but found the paste a bit too soft, disolved way too fast. Trouble was, I didn't have anything decent to hand as a binder to stiffen it up. In the end, I used ordinary flour out of desperation, but that didn't do a lot :rolleyes: I will have to get something better from CC Moores or similar and try again :D

Cheers, Dave.

The larger pellets that Andy used to do were much bigger than any I can find these days -

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg4/wishbonefish/P1000224.jpg

Top - typical current large elips
Bottom - old BFW large halips

Does anyone still do the larger ones ?

True enough Mark, WAY bigger. Incidentally, were they actually a paler colour than others, as in the picture, or are those just old ones? The Hinders elips are a VERY dark chocolate brown.

Cheers, Dave.

True enough Mark, WAY bigger. Incidentally, were they actually a paler colour than others, as in the picture, or are those just old ones? The Hinders elips are a VERY dark chocolate brown.

Cheers, Dave.

I have had elips pellets over the years from BFW, Hinders many times, teme seven, DNA, etc.........

The colour constantly changes and I would imagine is due purely to the particular batch which is being sold at the time.

I believe there are 2 manufactures and at least one is Dutch (Skretting).

Have had them dark brown, lighter brown, red/brown from hinders in particular (probably due to the fact they probably used to sell more than other suppliers and were into a new batch quicker.........

Back