• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW 14mm Halips Pellets

David Potter

A few years ago BFW use to sell 14mm Halips Pellets
I had 2 large buckets of these and they have lasted quite a few years but my stock has all gone now !
Does anybody know if they are available anywhere else ?
Regards
Dave

buy a bag of bankside grubbers, XL, you won't go far wrong, better than hinders.

Quote: 'better than hinders'

Now that's a bold statement, and here's another: The day hinders elips
stop catching barbel by the bucket load, I'll give up fishing!

Yeah,the grubbers are a lower oil pellet than the elips type,they are good all year but i've found them to be an excellent colder water pellet,winter chub seem to love em too!:)

I bought some XL Grubbers 2 years ago and still not caught a fish on them yet.
Not that i have tried them often enough! Twice i think? The problem i have is that i have found other pellets which i catch on and have confidence in, so never get around to using them. They still smell and feel ok, so i will have to give them a try!! Good to here they catch in winter too

Last edited:
It looks like I will not be able to source my 14mm Halips Pellets anymore !

So I need some recommendations of pellets that you guy’s use for Hook Baits
that you have confidence in ?

Dave

I bought some XL Grubbers 2 years ago and still not caught a fish on them yet.
Not that i have tried them often enough! Twice i think? The problem i have is that i have found other pellets which i catch on and have confidence in, so never get around to using them. They still smell and feel ok, so i will have to give them a try!! Good to here they catch in winter too
2 years, get some fresh.

I think i asked on a thread earlier this year whether they would still be ok, as the inside of the bag was coated with oil. But the pellets were still hard, and still smell ok, although not as good as they did when new! Dont think i can risk buying anymore without the wife divorcing me :p
She bought me a load of other bait from Bankside which i never got around to using.

Last edited:
Remember that most of the pellets we buy are overspill from the fish farming industries. Elips are elliptical in shape as they sink slower through the fish farm cages. They are also full of carotene which gives those farmed salmon a natural looking pink colour to the flesh.

Although there are variations on elips type pellets, I'd wager they all originate from one or two manufacturers?

Hinder Elips also catch in the winter too.

It looks like I will not be able to source my 14mm Halips Pellets anymore !

So I need some recommendations of pellets that you guy’s use for Hook Baits
that you have confidence in ?

Dave
I've started using the new Sonubait soft hook pellets (11 mm) - so far I'm very happy with them. I'm feeding hemp and micro pellet but not putting hookbait samples in and have done very well so far considering the low river.

I've started using the new Sonubait soft hook pellets (11 mm) - so far I'm very happy with them. I'm feeding hemp and micro pellet but not putting hookbait samples in and have done very well so far considering the low river.

Richard,
They look good - ordered some on Ebay today,will give them a go
Thanks
Dave

they don't float do they?
it's the problem i had with s,pellets.

Used Hinders elips for the first time this season, caught well with large pellets on the hook and feeding a mixture of small and medium. Fed pellets using an open end feeder plugged with small amounts of ground pellet.

Had my best catch using pellet on the severn, so first impressions of Hinders are very good.

Sonubaits have also brought out an 'Eliptical' pellet in their Barbel and Carp range, think they do something like 4mm, 8mm and 11 mm. I've caught on the Teme and the Wye on the first two times I've used them. They may be worth a look!

Cheers

Mark

Hi men,

Richard , I know there is only 1 , which is why people seem to think one pellets better than another may be advertising blurb.

Hatter

Back