• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Pole Under £200 ?

Sam Lloyd

Can anyone recomend a pole for under £200. Mostly for Tench and sometimes Carp. Has anyone owned/used a Daiwa SR1 or TFG litespeed?

Why not go to the tackle shop and see what they suggest rather than just trying to rack your post count up and wasting everybodys time with threads like these:p:D

Mark, I had the same thought exactly but could not pull myself to be orrible enough to actually post it :)

Why not go to the tackle shop and see what they suggest rather than just trying to rack your post count up and wasting everybodys time with threads like these:p:D

I am going to, however as far as i know they only sell the SR1 and not the litespeed. so if i opt for that one then i wont be able to go see it will i

I wouldn't even bother looking at the TFG litespeed :confused: why because if you happen to break a section or want more top kits then you may find it hard to get it/them as it's not a main pole company for selling poles .

Stick to the main match companies like Daiwa,Preston,Garbolino, Map, Maver Sensas etc ............ ;)

Go to a tackle shop with a pole alley ie it's got a good selection of poles on display in you price range and have a play with them all, only you can decide ;)

But go for one that has more top kits and is the longest ie 11.5 or 13m for your money , you don't have to fish the full length but it's there if you just want to go that bit further ;)

Thanks Nic, what else should i look for in the pole ? Not really sure what makes a good one as i haven't used any of mine the last 10 years and they all weigh a tonne !! By modern standards what is considered light ? ie is 600-800 grams @ 13metres good within my budget ? If i stretched to £300 would i get much more performance or not ?

Sam have you taken the weight of the pole when its put together into consideration .
I think you will find that poles at the bottom end of the price range can be rather heavy .
Before you part with your cash I would suggest you go to shop where you can put it together at its full length and see how heavy it is .

Thanks Nic, what else should i look for in the pole ? Not really sure what makes a good one as i haven't used any of mine the last 10 years and they all weigh a tonne !! By modern standards what is considered light ? ie is 600-800 grams @ 13metres good within my budget ? If i stretched to £300 would i get much more performance or not ?

The more money you can stretch to the more options you have and the better selection you can go for Sam ;)

Here's a chart from Pole Fishing Magazine it's gives you the weight, cost, length, what you get for your money etc.......... ;)

Just click the pole directiory once your on ;)

http://www.polefishingmagazine.com/pole-directory/pole-directory-download

Which? threads are just so dull and boring! Just go to your local tackle shop and buy one. Besides, most of us are no help at all anyway.;):D:p:p:p:p:p

P.S. I'd go for the Daiwa if it were my money. However, don't expect miracles from it. If you can scrape together a few extra quid I'd look at the Shimano Technium 13m. Can be had for £270 if you shop around and is well worth the extra.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, Chris I'd been looking at the Shimano. I'd seen a few people recommend it on other forums. Have you used it yourself ?

Thanks guys, Chris I'd been looking at the Shimano. I'd seen a few people recommend it on other forums. Have you used it yourself ?

Only briefly fished with one but, as I'm in the market for a pole myself, I've waggled plenty of different poles on pole alleys. Like many budget poles it's fantastic just shy of full length but not quite as good at the full 13m.

Sorry Sam,I couldn't resist:) If thats your budget why not go for a second hand pole? you'd get alot more for your money. The cheaper poles on the market can be a bit on the heavy side;)

Sorry Sam,I couldn't resist:) If thats your budget why not go for a second hand pole? you'd get alot more for your money. The cheaper poles on the market can be a bit on the heavy side;)

I have considered getting a second hand job, but after the problems i had with my Korum breaking the other month and having no warranty, i really only want to buy from a tackle shop new :eek:

Or you could buy second hand, tri-cast poles are great and you can get spare sections.......they'll even make them for you. Its all a personal preference thing really

Here are a few for you to look at

Daiwa SR1 pluss 12.5m
Preston Innovations Carp Active 13m
MAP TKS 125 12.5m
Middy Bagging Machine 13m
Maver Gennesis 12.5m
Shimano Technium XTA 13m
Fox Match Conspiracy 13m

All the above poles are under 300 squid

You can find reviews for them all on gofishing.co.uk

Last edited:
Dragon carp £25 !!