• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best isotopes anybody?

Jamie Armitage

I've been buying cheap isotopes/glow sticks off ebay. ...
But there not to good! Anybody recommend some?

Cheers Jamie

The Drennan ones

About £15 for 2 with various sized rod tip adapters and will last for years

Mine have been on my rods for a couple of seasons now and haven't fallen off

I've been using the solar flouro isotopes for several years in the 25mm x 3mm size and they seem as bright today as the day I purchased them. I have also used those by gardner tackle (22.5mm x 3mm) and purchased isotopes off a 'mrfish' on ebay (25mm x 3mm & 12mm x 2mm) The solar ones in my opinion seem brighter although I think that they have just changed that particular range to I-pro. The gardner ones and those purchased off mrfish seem very very similar both being slimmer than the quoted solar 3mm diameter and in brightness. I'm pretty sure all these cost around the £10 mark.

Anthony, try Lidls, They sell boxes of 50 for about £2.50, usually on the shelves around about easter,you have to keep your eyes open for them as they go like hot cakes.

Stated at 4.5 mm x 39 mm long.

Dave...

Another vote for the Drennan. They seem brighter than other isotopes that I've used but still much dimmer than glowsticks

Anthony, try Lidls, They sell boxes of 50 for about £2.50, usually on the shelves around about easter,you have to keep your eyes open for them as they go like hot cakes.

Stated at 4.5 mm x 39 mm long.

Dave...

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...s-dropbox-picture5232-2014-10-04-10-03-45.jpg

Brilliant value Dave, brought 3 boxes 4 years ago and are still going strong.
Like the red best. After losing an expensive isotope through a wrap round and then having to watch the little light float away into the gloom I'm happy to stick with the cheapies. They last a good ten hours and fit J.R. adaptors. Typically, I haven't lost one of the Lidl lights, but that's Sod's law I guess!;)

Always found the solar ones to be top notch...

Another vote for the drennans for river fishing, had mine for 7 years and still going strong. I use chemical crack sticks for my bass fishing though as the extra brightness is good on the beach/rocks, the issue with buying the crack sticks in bulk is that they do have a shelf life which varies between makers...you never know quite how long they will last...i had a box of 100 that i had had for a few years unopened in the garage...all useless when i tested them. Good ones can last multiple sessions in the winter mind...less so in the summer unless you bung them in the freezer. But i didnt have to tell all you experienced ravers that!

What size though

Peter, if you mean 'what size do they come in?', then look at the advert on Derek's link. They come in medium, large, extra large and XXL, to fit blanks ranging in size from 2.00mm to 4.3mm. You can see the sizes on either the drop box down on the add, or by clicking on the picture to enlarge.

Cheers, Dave.

Back