• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best fishing shirt ? I think so

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
I have a couple of these shirts for summer fishing and they are wonderful breathable mozzie proof and sun protected
AND 50% OFF !!!!
  • Nosi Defence
  • Security
  • Wash & Wear
  • Drying loops
  • UPF 40+ sun-protection / N/A Oatmeal
  • 3 Pockets - including 1 hidden zipped Security
  • 65% polyester, 35% cotton
  • 255g

I also purchased one of these for the very hot days. Excellent

Look good . I purchased a couple of “outback“ shirts in Aus some years ago,and they have done me proud, in Africa , New Zealand , and all points elsewhere ,if they hold back the Aussie Mossies then the UK available equivelent will be very acceptable .
David.

Should add they are now worn out ☹️.

David.

I wear all my old t-shirts and jumpers for fishing. Your lot must be mad buying new to get it laraped in fishing bait stains.
Some of us don’t have the option of going fishing in a T shirt - skin cancer and all that……

I have to keep covered up, so that means Factor 50, long sleeves, a stand up collar, a hat , buff over my face and even sun gloves if I’m out in a boat. So lightweight shirts as per Gerry Giles above are a godsend.

Most of mine (Columbia etc etc) were bought cheap in USA (for saltwater fly fishing) but I do wear the old ones here !

I have a couple of these shirts for summer fishing and they are wonderful breathable mozzie proof and sun protected
AND 50% OFF !!!!
  • Nosi Defence
  • Security
  • Wash & Wear
  • Drying loops
  • UPF 40+ sun-protection / N/A Oatmeal
  • 3 Pockets - including 1 hidden zipped Security
  • 65% polyester, 35% cotton
  • 255g

Just bought one Gerry cheers for the bargain. Now I want some rugged trousers and even more rugged shorts.

Why spend so much on a shirt to repel the mozzies ? Just get yourself a bottle or 2 of this, if its good enough for the commandoes........i keep 1 in my fishing kit, and 1 in my golf bag, works a treat. 👍

I know a lot of people rate this stuff, but it doesn't repel insects so much as drown them in a sloppy barrier film. I find Smidge a lot more pleasant to use, as it quickly dries on the skin after application and keeps away every flying pest (except swans and coots), even the dreaded West Highland Midge: https://midge.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/smidge

Why spend so much on a shirt to repel the mozzies ? Just get yourself a bottle or 2 of this, if its good enough for the commandoes........i keep 1 in my fishing kit, and 1 in my golf bag, works a treat. 👍

think your missing the point mate

its not the just mozzie proof ?? that to me that is just a bonus its more not sweating my guts out in a t_shirt

and the breathability and UV protection plus able to undo a few buttons if its still to hot and total comfort of a superb lightweight shirt but we are all different wear what you like
I was just giving people the heads up for a bargain price quality shirt IMO

Last edited:

Great for repelling mozzies; but it has to be the original. the later stuff doesn't do the job half aswell, glad i still have ten bottles of it left:cool:.
Also as the original doesn't contain Deet it doesn't repel the fish too.....i have just read some interesting research from the states which has found that Deet is a great fish repellant!!!!

Daft question - I’ve been bitten by horseflies on the last 2 trips and it hurts like flip
They bite through T-shirt’s
Anyone know if these shirts would offer protection?

Can't answer your question Paul, but just remember that the lightest colour (the one that some anglers might prefer for hot and sunny days), Oatmeal, does not offer the same sun protection as the others.

Daft question - I’ve been bitten by horseflies on the last 2 trips and it hurts like flip
They bite through T-shirt’s
Anyone know if these shirts would offer protection?

I’ve ordered one as after my post I read the spec and it did mention protection against biting insects
But I can also knock up some teatree potion too👍

excellent shirt - big fan of Craghoppers in general as have trousers etc as well

should have worn my 'kit' last night but due to the heat i was butt naked on top of the bed - this morning five huge insect bites of my left arse cheek, lol!!!!!

Back