• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Barbel Reel

what I'm trying to get at, how dos the 4000d balance on a barbel rod, my 5k is just the right size although a bit heavy.

what I'm trying to get at, how dos the 4000d balance on a barbel rod, my 5k is just the right size although a bit heavy.

My 4000Ds are definitely lighter than my 5000 GTECs and balance pretty well on my Greys X-Flites and Prodigys. However, I understand that the XTEA might be a smidgen lighter than the GTECs. It's all going to depend a great deal on the rods you have though. If someone happens to have the same rods as you and has paired them with 4000Ds you might get an informed answer. The snag being that their preference and what they deem to be balanced might well differ from yours.

Fair shout Chris, I tried the shimanos with my Korum neoteric and they felt too small for them hence opting for the slightly bigger KXi 60's which match these well but then I fish the trent and wanted something a bit more substanial for my Barbel fishing. The front drag I enjoy as I will use these for gravel pit tench and bream fishing too.

lee, the kxi's perform well, the clutch is superb, i have a size 50 and a 60.
i used the 50 on our club lake for carp on the method, had carp to just over 16 and the reels were faultless.. really really pleased with them...

Another vote for the kxi's love mine, much prefer to the over hyped **** drag xtea's which i soon got shut of.

For medium to heavy work my original Daiwa SS2600 never let me down. Any other situations are catered for by Rapidex's.

At the moment a Wide drum Speedia deluxe...:)

Been using the pin for the few trips I made on river but been looking at the korum kxis

All this perfect balance is a bit techy, and too much for me. Glue a dead cow to the bottom of the reel and a lead in the but of the rod until balance is achived.
However I will stick to a pin like the guys above, and vote for a Youngs Purist, a dream to use.
All the best
Colin

Ed,
I do believe you, they are lovely reels. However, I tried them way back when and just couldn't get on with the drag being in the centre. Fine if you are the set and forget type but if you like to adjust as you go it's not even as easy as a front drag reel, let alone a rear drag one.

Each to their own but i cannot understand whats difficult about a Suveran drag, i,ve had them since they were first made and they are simply the best clutches i've used on any reel bar lever drag multipliers. Cheap Shimano's are rubbish, expensive ones are better but not as good as expensive Daiwas and none of em are better than Suverans IMO.

Last edited:
Have enjoyed reading peoples dislikes and preferences with reels/clutches etc, what i don't understand is why nobody mentions using the backwind on a reel ?

I wouldn't mention it because i think its a rubbish way to play a big powerful fish, oh, and to quote the great Terry Eustace "who wants to backwind when clutches make a noise like that" :)

Have enjoyed reading peoples dislikes and preferences with reels/clutches etc, what i don't understand is why nobody mentions using the backwind on a reel ?

Something I do all the time with my 5010's when fishing light with maggot in cold conditions, i.e. down to a 5 or 6lb hooklength. Fighting a fish off the clutch is like walking with crutches, you still get there but it's not as enjoyable!

Something I do all the time with my 5010's when fishing light with maggot in cold conditions, i.e. down to a 5 or 6lb hooklength. Fighting a fish off the clutch is like walking with crutches, you still get there but it's not as enjoyable!

Bit of a strange analogy Steve :) Walking on crutches always looks awkward and unbalanced to me ! bit like trying to keep up with a fish that wants to be elsewhere in a hurry by winding backwards :D unless you mean braking the back of the flyer with your finger which aint technically back winding ;)

Last edited:
Bit picky there Simon, yes I do mean braking the flyer with a finger, the reel is revolving backwards so, to me, technically it's back-winding!

Having served my angling apprenticeship on centrepins and cheap Intrepid fixed spool reels in the early 60's I learned the art of back winding at an early age. Didn't realise that clutches existed until I could afford to move up to Mitchell 300's, no baitrunners in those days either.

Back