• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Barbel Reel

i use a couple of shimano super 4000 gtm rm look great double handles and have loads of chrome on them in case you mess your hair up....awesome reels:eek:

Abu Suveran

Nobody seems to have mentioned the best engineered reel made!!! The Abu Suveran 4000s.
Not been made for a few years of course but can still be picked up on e-bay, expect to pay £150 upwards for a mint one.
The clutch is unbeleivable, as its built into the middle of the reel, and has no comparison unless you spend about £700 on one of those shimano things.
If you don't beleive me, go onto the american reveiw sites where they take the reels apart and compare every aspect of each reel without favouritism.

Ed,
I do believe you, they are lovely reels. However, I tried them way back when and just couldn't get on with the drag being in the centre. Fine if you are the set and forget type but if you like to adjust as you go it's not even as easy as a front drag reel, let alone a rear drag one.

Nobody seems to have mentioned the best engineered reel made!!! The Abu Suveran 4000s.
Not been made for a few years of course but can still be picked up on e-bay, expect to pay £150 upwards for a mint one.
The clutch is unbeleivable, as its built into the middle of the reel, and has no comparison unless you spend about £700 on one of those shimano things.
If you don't beleive me, go onto the american reveiw sites where they take the reels apart and compare every aspect of each reel without favouritism.

Another vote for the Suveran from me! Nice drag and well engineered all over!

Another vote here for the Okuma Epix Pro.
Very reliable
Very nice front drag,
Latest model has 10BB and very smooth.
Good baitrunner function (remember you dont have to use the baitrunner when you dont need to).
Pretty good line lay (but not perfect)

And you can pick these up for under £40 each in the 40 size.

Reels............

Shimano 5000XTEA for little rivers like the Gt Ouse,
Shimano 6000XTEA for proper rivers like the Tidal Trent......

And for playing about with the chub Shimano Twin Power 4000 XT-RB's, which are also very good for normal feeder fishing.....

Not cheap reels, but they'll never let you down (if looked after reasonably well)...just wind the drags back to the min setting at the end of the day, which saves the drags sticking in normal use....

Regards

Dinger!

Don't believe Shrek - what you need is a wide-drum Speedia. Play a Barbel on one and you'll never look back!

(how's things Dinger? Long time no speak)..

Hi Declan,
finally had a reason to join the forum again...i actually bought something.....
Not much doing on my front only managed a short trip to the Tidal, but it was far too hot and low to expect anything.....give me a buzz sometime we'll arrange a trip out......

Andy

After bagging a few Barbel last week on the middle T, using my small river Barbel gear, i gave one of my Shim 4000D a run for its money, which i needed primarily to see if its fit for me. It has a Baitrunner facility, which nievely i think is very good, as i dont use, unless the call of nature calls. In all, i had a little doubt in my mind regarding stopping an angry Barbel in a tight spot. In use i stopped a few angry Barbel, the drag is a joy to use, even when set very tight and has a very reassuring ping as it sings, when in use. I had a doubt regarding winding power, and after that session my doubts were unfounded. So all in a great reel, good winding power, a very good drag and a decent baitrunner when needed. Just a shame no spare spool.

IMO

Daiwa ss11 in 3000 or 3500 size.Strong,powerful gearing,front drag reel.Look lovely too.The ones i have are the normal styled ones not the retro ones.Picked them up on ebay for just over 100 quid for both. If the river starts pushing through then out come the stratos's loaded with heavier line,although the ss11 are sufficient.

Not a fan of baitrunner reels or anything to big so a Diawa TDR for me beening an ex match angler!

Cheers Ian:)

Last edited:
Pictures - 5000XTEA and 4000D

Should give some idea:

comp%20600.jpg

5000XTEA weight 540g 240 yds 10lb
4000D weight 385g 200 yds 10lb

Cheers
Bob

Something different maybe?

Needed to replace my fox 7000's (after years of abuse). Opted for some Korum KXi 60's as wanted front drag and bait runner facility. Look and feel good but yet to be used in anger.

Back