• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best Barbel Reel

Hi Gary ,
I only use shimano reels and i find the 5000 gte perfect for most types of fishing !
you can pick them up for around £50.00 so all in all value for money .

James,

Shimano for me too.
Got a couple of the AERO RE 5000 LIMITED EDITION which I like.
Only gripe would be that the clutch / drag does not seem to kick in smoothly.

Are there other Shimano models with better clutch?
Is front or rear drag generally smoother?

Mostly use Shimano but have tried other makes in the past.
Front drag smoother generally. My preference is for front drag evertime.
For baitrunners the new 4000D is nice, with the DL4000FA a cheaper double handled alternative - both front drag and come in bigger versions should you want the extra line capacity.
If I don't want a baitrunner facility then I use the Twin Power TP4000FA - this has been replaced by the FB and latest FC versions - front drag - expensive but very nice.
Review
https://barbel.co.uk/site/reviews/shimtpfa/shimtpfa.htm
The older 3500B runner is very good and will last and last - sadly they have been discontinued, the 4000D taking its place - which is quite a bit lighter.

Cheers
Bob

A front drag baitrunner for me as well. Currently using some old Okuma Epix Pro's and some newer Fox Stratos 7000's.

I've had Shimano in different sizes for different species and always end up giving them away because the clutches are so awful.

For all near bank fishing it has to be a pin just for the pleasure of playing a fish on one.

It's got to depend entirely on the size of the river you are fishing. I've got the old Aero 5010 GTs, GTEC5000s and 4000Ds. The latter are absolutely superb and the former perfectly adequate but none are much use on the Trent where you'd struggle to cast anywhere near far enough on many swims. If you've already been getting by with the 5000 size then the 4000D should be enough and, yes, the clutch is miles better than the rear drag models. The only rear drag baitrunner I've known come anywhere near close to having such a good clutch is the XTEA.

Last edited:
On the Trent last couple of seasons i used some Basia's, they are great reels with surplus winding power to spare, best part of the real was the quick drag, far simpler than a baitrunner and more effective IMO. I have now got some Daiwa ISO QD's very similar to a Basia but even more winding power but with a shorter spool and still with Quick Drag awesome. My reels are not everyones cup of tea and i have never met anyone else who uses them, but for my type of Barbelling they are perfect. For a cheaper option to these you wont go wrong with some Shim 5500 XTB's. For smaller waters i use Shim 4000D's which are good, but i rarely use the baitrunner facility, its pointless, other than going for a chat or a wander.
I have used a few pins over the year, aerials, fred crouch replicas etc, not an expert in this but by far the best was the Okuma Sheffield, a very good pin indeed.

Mostly use Shimano but have tried other makes in the past.
Front drag smoother generally. My preference is for front drag evertime.
For baitrunners the new 4000D is nice, with the DL4000FA a cheaper double handled alternative - both front drag and come in bigger versions should you want the extra line capacity.
If I don't want a baitrunner facility then I use the Twin Power TP4000FA - this has been replaced by the FB and latest FC versions - front drag - expensive but very nice.
Review
https://barbel.co.uk/site/reviews/shimtpfa/shimtpfa.htm
The older 3500B runner is very good and will last and last - sadly they have been discontinued, the 4000D taking its place - which is quite a bit lighter.

Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob,
those 4000D's look just the job.

shimano 3500b - bit heavy for roving but if you fish up to half a dozen swims a day and sit and wait, I reckon they are pretty much perfect.

For lightweight roving, maybe standing up rolling baits through swims, then I like the shimano stradic series.

If you prefer a centrepin - Speedia, every time.

Gary,
Just in case you are not aware that the 4000D only comes with one spool and spares are expensive at £35.
The DL4000FA comes with one alloy and one plastic/graphite spool.
Cheers
Bob

Or when a swan/goose goes hits your line at a good rate of knots :eek:

regards
Richard

On using the Baitrunner facility, Yes mate your spot on there, i have had the odd problem with swans, well getting fellow members untangled from them:D don't seem to remember his name now, as he has gone over to the dark side chucking fluff....

Centre pins for close in work other than that i have a pair of Suverans which i like to use also a pair of 54's which have a brilliant clutch, don't seem to use them much anymore and a pair of 5000 GTE'C.

Spoilt for choice really!

used a couple of 55's for many many years, then moved on to shimanos . But always thought i would like to go back to a '55'. found a perfect one.... it was rubbish compared to todays reels, our memories can play some funny tricks on us, i now use 3500b's and cant see me changing them any time soon....if ever!

Back