• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best barbel reel ever

Well, tell me how you come to the opinion that it is an 'Aerial type' for a start. Then we can discuss how two old reels, no longer in production, can be bodged together and thought by some misguided person to be superior to any modern equipment. We might then touch on twin stainless bearings, one-way disc drag and tolerances that an old Redditch tackle blacksmith could only dream about.

:D:D

Well, tell me how you come to the opinion that it is an 'Aerial type' for a start. Then we can discuss how two old reels, no longer in production, can be bodged together and thought by some misguided person to be superior to any modern equipment. We might then touch on twin stainless bearings, one-way disc drag and tolerances that an old Redditch tackle blacksmith could only dream about.

I don't think you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

Tim,just bin in the shed an seen among my scrap metal,a box of old wheels,
Fink worf nuffin as kin only see names like Allcock,rapidex,speedia,Grice an Young,an match aerial........Nuffin says shimano so fink ill bin,tho spotted
a back of one jist like in yer pic,Looks made of brass an merhogny so may try an bung one tergether like yourn an stick on
ebay......all der best Ousechav.:cool:

DSC00215.jpg

Last edited:
weigh em in

Tim,just bin in the shed an seen among my scrap metal,a box of old wheels,
Fink worf nuffin as kin only see names like Allcock,rapidex,speedia,Grice an Young,an match aerial........Nuffin says shimano so fink ill bin,tho spotted
a back of one jist like in yer pic,Looks made of brass an merhogny so may try an bung one tergether like yourn an stick on
ebay......all der best Ousechav.:cool:

DSC00215.jpg

very nice howard with the price of scrap these days you might get £20 for that lot:D

£22?:d

On a troll thread claiming that a centrepin can be the best reel for barbel fishing I'm surprised no-one has mentioned their cont yet. :D.

load of **** wheels

Silver fox. cheers fer that will sling em on ebay,an buy some juice fer me
corsa.
there a waste of space cant cast wiv em,an keep reeling in the rong way
an tangling,and even if reeling right way i get more arm ache,than wiv me
Shimanos,an hurt me wrists.
Wud be ok wiv a ray walton one,fer the casting,but wud av ter flog me corsa ta afford it. innit.

cheers Chav

ta afford don't flow mate ;) correct chav speak surely would have been 'ter' ?

Any road up that is a binfull of nostalgic rubbish you have there, only coveted by the same sort of people who pontificate about horrible numb wooden rods ! ( funny that the carbon fibre wood lookalike hexagraph thingy's found such favour with many of the same people !) take it up the scrappy mate :)

I don't think you know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

Maybe, but at least I know what is an Aerial type, and I've never before heard of an Okuma being described as such. :p

You stick with your Oddbins Mongrel old chap, but don't be surprised if you get less than universal support for it. :D

The bakerlite one is worth at least £15 Howard.

I had one of those. Manufactured in Bradford or thereabouts. It was one of the smoothest running true 'pins I've ever. And and the wing nut adjustment allowed sufficient braking for ledgering without the ratchet and a quick return to free spool when retrieving. Definitely worth keeping as a user.

Abu Suveran S4000M has the best frag and build quality of any fixed spool and I'm hoping that Chris Lythe's barbel master with lever opperated clicker will be the best 'pin for barbel as I've had one on order for just over a year (along with a 1915 and scotton long trotter:D), so another year or so and I'll find out ;)

Maybe, but at least I know what is an Aerial type, and I've never before heard of an Okuma being described as such. :p

You stick with your Oddbins Mongrel old chap, but don't be surprised if you get less than universal support for it. :D

don't misquote me. I didn't describe the dog's dinner Okuma as an "Aerial type". I said that they'd had 120 years to develop the Aerial concept. you can keep your dog's dinner old chap...

Abu Suveran S4000M has the best frag and build quality of any fixed spool and I'm hoping that Chris Lythe's barbel master with lever opperated clicker will be the best 'pin for barbel as I've had one on order for just over a year (along with a 1915 and scotton long trotter:D), so another year or so and I'll find out ;)

CL's reels are the best out there, imo they are better engineered than the reels from the 20's and 30's. Chris's finish is outstanding. Love my 15's and Spitfires.

btw...I will be bay'ing a unused Scotton Trotter and a Browning Revolver in the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled. You never know one of mine might make it onto the BFW "EBAY Madness" thread.

M

Ahhh the BFW "EBAY Madness" thread my lifetimes ambition to appear on that one.

Back