• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best baitrunners for standard barbel fishing

I'd suggest Shimano 4000/6000 OC's depending on the size of your favoured river. Personally prefer the D model, but that would blow your budget a little. Only disadvantage is you don't get a spare spool if that was a requirement.

Pete.

i fish the lower and have all manor of baitrunners, and although a little big - do love my 6000's, mine are the double handled version not sure of the exact model. They seemed a little big at first but now absolutely love them and favour them to the 5000's and the fox stratos 7000's that I used previously.

The fox reels are much lighter and if im roaming will still be the first choice.

Penn 460 live liner.
See revieW in the reel section on this site. :)

I totally agree with Clive's suggestion of the Penns. The only disadvantage with them, is the inability to backwind, which some could find a bit of a chore, but clutch, crankability and bombproofness put them right up there.

Penn Liveliner is solid and is an ideal tool for cranking heavy weights, super smooth clutch that is over engineered to satisfy it's main market the American bait fishing scene where Tarpon etc are the target species.

I like the XTEA's too and they are also as above a bit blingy.

I am currently using the old Shimano 5010's and 6010, great reels and I love the all black look, they have great clutches and just feel and look right to me.

Good used examples you will pay at least £50 for, but they are soon snapped up.

Back