• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best 4000 size reel

thanks Richard, whatever reels I get are going on my ipowers and that's where they'll stay !! Im def leaning towards the SS if I ditch the shimmy's !
Cliff, I just got back from a week on the Severn using my I-powers paired with 5000 XTEA that I got from a member here, lovely combination. A mate borrowed the I-powers for a day to try and he doesn’t like baitrunners, so used his SS2600 and was just as enthusiastic with that pairing

I have both ss2600 and ss750 and 850 the jap made feels better than 2600. But both a re great reel. But my favourite 4000 reel is still shimano 4000d. But if you don’t want a bait runner, maybe go for a 1600 or gs 4000?
thanks H, Ive had a look at the SS2600 and SS1600 and I think the 2600 is a better size for feeder fishing, even if its a bit larger than 4000.

Cliff, I just got back from a week on the Severn using my I-powers paired with 5000 XTEA that I got from a member here, lovely combination. A mate borrowed the I-powers for a day to try and he doesn’t like baitrunners, so used his SS2600 and was just as enthusiastic with that pairing
sounds good, thanks Alan

Try finding a twin power XT-RB the clutch is superb I’ve had loads of mid double figure carp on mine superb build quality, but…. Expect to pay top dollar for a decent one…if you can find one at all

thanks H, Ive had a look at the SS2600 and SS1600 and I think the 2600 is a better size for feeder fishing, even if its a bit larger than 4000.
If you do go for the SS2600 (I love em and have a couple of pairs) this may be heresy for purists but I would consider swopping out the washers for carbon ones (£5 per set) to speed up the drag a bit . . .mine also have a QD spool cap however this may be a step too far for some!

OKUMA AVENTA 5000
Can't beat the Quality and the price ,although it says 5000 they are about same size as 4000 in other makes .

Back