• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

best 4000 size reel

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
Ive been a Stradic fan and user for the last 20 years, I might be tempted to change a couple but what for ? I don't want a bait runner, just a good 4000 size reel with smooth clutch and enough cranking power for feeder fishing the Wye and Severn in low/medium conditions ? What do you chaps use ?

Hi Cliff
I've been a Shimano fan for years but more recently have enjoyed using these Cadence reels which are at different price point to the Daiwa kit that Rich recommends. Been using them 3 seasons now and faultless. I use the 4000s on light rods and feeders on small-medium rivers and have had plenty of barbel. Very light( magnesium) so also good for float fishing.

They also do a 5000 for the same money

I'm sure they come with at least 1 spare spool, might be 2 but additional spools are a tenner!
They often have deals on such as BOGOF or but 2 get 1 free

Okuma Epixor XT (5500 size is more like a Daiwa 4012) Lacks a spare spool unless you buy from Aliexpress but it punches well above it's price point. It's like a Daiwa TDR build quality wise and performance and nice slow oscillation for great line lay.

Oiled felt drag but it's the best oiled felt i've ever used, smooth as butter with quite a low starting inertia.

I’d say 5000 size.
1600/850 is more 4000
Richard, I know your a fan of the SS reels, how do you rate them against the TDR or Tournament 20 ? I had a look at the SS and TDR in AD to day and the SS seemed more robust if not quite as smooth ? The didn't have a tournament 20 unfortunately.

Daiwa Theory 4000SP - got mine maybe 6-7 years back from BFW Classifieds and would never part with it.

Almost perfection when coupled with the 11' 1.75 Torrix on smaller rivers👍.

Richard, I know your a fan of the SS reels, how do you rate them against the TDR or Tournament 20 ? I had a look at the SS and TDR in AD to day and the SS seemed more robust if not quite as smooth ? The didn't have a tournament 20 unfortunately.
I’d never recommend an SS straight off the bat because it’s one of them reels that is very much an acquired taste.
Your right I love em I have a pair of 850’s on my barbel rods and they are little work horses.
They are not better or worse than a TDR or TDX but very different as I’m sure you noticed.

TDX clutch is the smoothest of the lot as it’s bearing assisted like the thunnus. But they are getting a bit uncommon now which is why I recommended the tournament 20. That was the reel that superseded the TDX

I have a TDX 3010 that I use for trotting
I would not even contemplate the SS for trotting

thanks Richard, whatever reels I get are going on my ipowers and that's where they'll stay !! Im def leaning towards the SS if I ditch the shimmy's !

so avoid the new ones like the SS2600 ?
No don’t avoid them. They are pretty much identical to look at internally but the jap ones just feel a bit better and tighter. There is a difference between them when you turn the handle especially after a good service on both. I did all terrys reels early this year both the 1000s and 2600s and they are all great but the jap ones are nicer if you can find them.

so avoid the new ones like the SS2600 ?
I have both ss2600 and ss750 and 850 the jap made feels better than 2600. But both a re great reel. But my favourite 4000 reel is still shimano 4000d. But if you don’t want a bait runner, maybe go for a 1600 or gs 4000?

Back