• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Base Mix? One For Bait Buffs...

Talking about sophistication Andy, when you strip away, the full stops commas, and the ' I went to ' and moved to that swim,

I could have said .... Went down the river a few times, chucked in a few bits of food ( nice food mind you ;) ) let the fish do all the work chasing off the little stuff, then went back, and put my bait in, and.... Job done :D ..... Suckers ! :p

That was the way I thought of it exactly.

Hi Chris,

All i can say in speaking to Ian Moore is that he says that they have had good feedback from barbel anglers regarding the Live System...

Totally agree Jon - very enlightening - great posts Ian.:)

Anyway, being a bit thick, like what I is, what is HNV?

What is truly nutritional for a barbels well-being - betaine, yeast, milk/vegetable proteins / seeds / meat, pellets, maggots ?

And what do they find easily digestible and why ?

Too many questions, I know - just trying to understand the nutrition/food bits and why they are good for fish that would naturally feed on insects/larvae etc.

I used to use JB base mixes/flavours etc. but more recently have made my own basic semolina/rice/soya (much cheaper) mixes - nutritional for fish? - I really don't know.

Then looking at the CC Moore site, with so many ingredients, I'm thinking perhaps I should be buying a more refined base mix.

Can be confusing - perhaps a massive lump of Spam might be better !

Ok back now ! I thought you'd have had loads of answers by now Mark !

HNV... i guess you know this, it stands for High Nutritional Value, the term can be applied to any high nutritional food, such as the Protein drinks used by body builders and sportsmen.
Talking HNV in bait, what constitutes an HNV mix is a high protein content, by most anglers or bait makers, where that border line starts is a matter of opinion, as fish baits have a broad range of nutrition from as low as 30% to as high as 90+% i suppose in theory you could say it starts at a point which exceeds the nutrition available in a fishes natural food, which is usually between 45% - 55%, most proprietry bait makers i would assume regard it as starting at levels, 10 or 20 % above what is available in the average commercial bait, which i would guess is between 50% - 70%, and so this is where the matter of opinion comes in, but most i guess would say about 80% + if you insisted on a percentage figure.
Personally i would regard it as low as 70% this being a fair bit higher than what they could obtain naturally.

Making a mix with a minimum protein content of 70% is about where you need to start thinking carefully about ingredients in the mix in order to achieve that level, in that things like binders which generally need to be included to make a bait roll properly can sometimes have a fairly low protein content, which will pull the protein content of the Bulk down considerably.
So if choosing a low protein binder, it would be neccesary to consider a bulk ingredient that doesn't need a lot of binding or consider the inclusion of a very high protein soluble if the bulk options are not what you want.
Are you starting to see the complexities of HNV's or formulating them ?

So in a nutshell mark simplifying all that, it just means a mix of food with a much higher protein content than your average bait available on the market, or custom made at home for that matter, generally it will cost you more, but it's also true you can produce them at home, cheaper than you could buy a bag of readymades from the shop. ( if you know what you're doing ;) )

What is truly nutritional for a barbels well-being - betaine, yeast, milk/vegetable proteins / seeds / meat, pellets, maggots ?

The ingredients you give Mark are really irrelavant, all food is organic in origin i.e it came from - or is at the time of eating alive, whether this be plant or animal. very broadly speaking they are all made up from the same types of compounds, being Proteins Fats and Carbohydrates, there are some quite major differences between Plant foods, and animal foods (dead or alive), and processed foods of both, where other compounds are found in one and not the other, and in processed foods some which find their way in during the processing of the food.
But broadly speaking they contain in varying amounts similar compounds which are broken down, by a fishes digestion system into a soup of nutrition.
However, It gets more complicated than that !! because all animals require essential nutrients in the form of amino acids, which vary according to the structure of the protein, now here's where i start to get out of my depth !!
I've never delved greatly into the subject this far to any degree, but i'll tell you what i know, you can find out more if you've got the inclination to go there !!!
Fish require 11 specific amino acids as an essential part of their diet, don't ask me to list them i've seen them listed, and should know them, but i forget most of them, i reckon i could name four of the top of my head ! :p
Anyway to my knowledge there is no single source of food which can deliver all these essential aminos to a fish, so much like any creature it needs a varied diet in order to maintain optimum health and well being.
So if you wished to provide the fish with a food which provided it with all it's nutritional requirements, you would need to consult a fish biologist, and preferably one who was knowledgable in Barbel physiology to answer that question properly ! :D
But i reckon provided you included a fairly broad range of ingredients, say fishmeal, meat, and vegatable matter, you'd likely tick most of the boxes.

This was discussed in a thread a while back when pretty much the same subject was being discussed, i remember saying that we shouldn't lose sight of what we are trying to achieve with a bait, that in my opinion - is that essentialy feeding them is by the by, it's not ultimatley what i'm trying to achieve, if i wanted to do that i'd take up Koi rearing !! :p
The purpose of a bait is to initially attract them to your hook, and then give them the desire to swallow it ! that at least in some situations it means feeding them to aquaint them with the bait, and give them confidence to eat it in this pressured angling day and age is as i say in my opinion just a neccesary distraction, to achieve my goal, but with the specific intentions i have in mind of singleing out the biggest in the vicinity, means giving them enough to want more, but too little to ever satisfy them.
This to my mind is the use for which HNV is particularly suited for, but there must initialy be that period where you must give the fish time to recognise it's got a good thing on offer, especially with so little available to it, that recognition comes from the protein content that i'm certain of, it's no coincidence i believe that because fish cannot store protein, in the way they can fat, yet being vital to it's well being, must therefore eat regular amounts, if to excess then all to the good for it's metabolism, as what is not absorbed by the time a mass of food has passed through it's gut will be excreted, but will ensure that protein delivered to it vital functions are maintained at optimum levels, and it's my theory that because of that evolution has given fish an ability to somehow detect protein within a food source, maybe thats only after eating it i'm not sure, but i'm convinced they get a feel good factor from eating it.

What do they find easily digestible, and why ?

Well again i'm out of my depth, the what is fairly easy the why - well again you'll need to speak to that fish biologist geezer ! :p

Again i tell you what i know :D

Without going into specific ingredients.....
All soluble bait ingredients regardless of their protein content are generally - but not always i think - easier to digest than non soluble, - generally because there are a few non solubles which are very digestible in their own right.
The Solubles because within a fishes gut there is a large water content, which once a food has been crushed by the the Phyrangeal teeth, allows water to attack the food and soften it, this is accelerated by the water coming into contact with the soluble portions of the bait, it's as simple as that, the quicker any food is reduced to mush, the sooner proper digestion can begin.
The digestibilty of other non soluble ingredients, and in fact the further digestion of even the solubles, is down to the cell structures of the food itself, basicaly what divides one cell from another - this is the purpose of digestive enzymes, of which in Barbel and other Cyprinids there are two types Trypsin, and Chymotrypsin, one specifically i think attacks the cell division, one attacks the cell walls, and thereby release the amino acids contained inside, don't ask me which is which, i can't remember, and i'm not 100% sure i have all of that correct, pretty much though.

It's a misconception that these enzymes are less efficient than the enzyme Pepsin which all mammals have, and i believe all predatory fish.
Pepsin is only present in animals that have stomach acid, to aid the breakdown of food before the digstive enzyme pepsin goes to work.
Cyprinids and so Barbel don't have the advantage of Stomach Acid, breakdown of food once past the Phyrangeal teeth is achieved in much the same way as in a birds crop, being ground up by grit and muscular action in a pocket at the top of the Barbels digestive tract, ( i forget the name of it ).
Essentially the Barbel therefore as other cyprinids has no stomach as we know it, it's just one long intestine basicaly, which start to draw nutrients from the food by means of those 2 enzymes from the begining to the end where whats left is excreted.

Other things affect speed of digestion, cold water in winter is the main inhibitor, as the fishes metabolism slows so does the production of digestive enzymes, to compenaste, the passage through the gut is slower too.
Which is why during cold water temps it's bad news to put a lot of feed in, and is also why though i only ever boil for 20 secs for freebies to make bascialy a paste with skin on it for summer use, once water temps drop below 50f i make mostly paste for freebies, and soft paste at that, so at least any food i give them has the best head start i can give it, so that proper digestion can start almost straight away.

Getting staight into making HNV baits can be a bit of a leap Mark, i've been messing around with baits for quite a few years first starting by adding things to shop bought mixes slowly progressing to my own when i felt i understood enough that i could do better, i had some good results, but i had a few disasters on the way as well, not majorly expensive in the greater scheme of things, but expensive enough at the time, the HNV came much later when i was rescued by someone !!, but the whole subject facsinated me, and right from the start, i wanted to know more about the subject pretty much along the lines of the questions you asked me, but i'm no academic, and there were areas where i just didn't go which just seemed far too complicated, and just not worth getting into to any great depth, you'll see for yourself if you start looking into it all, the language for a start !!!! Jesus ! these biologist boffins have got a dictionary all of their own ! :rolleyes:

Your last statement, as i said in my first post to John, you're not to far off the mark.
For cetain situations Spam is as good a bait as any, there are a 1001 things you can do with it, and not just spam, lots of other processed meat, and un -processed meat too, such as Chopped Chicken breasts, Cubed steak pieces, or cheap steak sliced up, all can be fried or flavoured if you wish, meat is still a blindingly good bait no matter what people say in my opinion.
HNV is best when it's being applied to an area very regularly, in a one off situation, and especially if the Barbel have never seen it before, you'll have no more than a reasonably good bait, but absolutley no more so that well prepared meat.

Jesus i think i've broken my own record for a length of post !! :p i don't 'alf go on once you get me started !!
Hope i've answered your questions though, tell me if i haven't.

I'm off to bed, going fishing again tomorrow :D

Night Night All

Ian.

Wow - what a post Ian :eek:

There is one particular venue I fish that's quite busy and the fish are very finnicky/spooky. I've done OK over the years with the pellet/feeder/bait trail approach, as well as flavoured meat etc. and am still quite confident using these methods on a lot of other waters.
However, I felt I could be doing a lot better on this particular stretch, and last season started making my own boilies again (first time for quite a few years).
Looked into making my own base mixes as well, and started with a basic semolina/rice/soya with varying flavours, additives, oils etc.
Then you get drawn into the old - 'perhaps I need to add some Robin Red, some different liquid additives, some betaine, some salmon oil etc.etc.' and quite soon end up disappearing up your own behind.
So decided that next season I would stick with one particular base mix with minimal flavouring.
As there are so many different base mixes/ingredients out there I wondered how high a protein mix I really need, what is easily digestable for fish etc. - so thought I'd ask for your thoughts Ian.
Thanks for taking the time to make such a detailed and informative reply - certainly given me plenty to think about.
There's probably plenty of shop-bought boilies that would do the job, but there's something very satisfying about catching barbel on home-made bait.
Top man Ian ! :)

There was a very interesting article by Dave Moore in one of the better carp mags recently, he pointed out the need to focus more on the content of "Available Proteins" rather than total protein content. He goes on to describe in detail the proteins, in the form of amino acids, which the very limited enzymes in a cyprinid digestive system can actually process and how a great deal of what people put in baits is pretty useless. I would share the detail, I'll make a copy for you Mr G. as I know you will enjoy reading it. Apparently, in essence there is a very low content of "available protein" in most extremely high protein baits as fish cannot process it.

There was a very interesting article by Dave Moore in one of the better carp mags recently, he pointed out the need to focus more on the content of "Available Proteins" rather than total protein content. He goes on to describe in detail the proteins, in the form of amino acids, which the very limited enzymes in a cyprinid digestive system can actually process and how a great deal of what people put in baits is pretty useless. I would share the detail, I'll make a copy for you Mr G. as I know you will enjoy reading it. Apparently, in essence there is a very low content of "available protein" in most extremely high protein baits as fish cannot process it.

I've heard the theory Ian, but kind of just doesn't stack up in my opinion.

I'd be interested to read this one though, e-mail it through Ta !

Just as a bit of fun, a sort of foot note to Ian's excellent posts, and also to confound those who claim it is wrong to use trout pellets for carp/barbel fishing on the grounds that 'The dietary requirements of these fish are totally different to those of trout'.....I offer this

The requirements of carp and rainbow trout for essential amino acids (EAA) were estimated from the daily increase of each EAA in the body when the fish were fed on the diets with proteins of high biological value. There was no distinct difference in the EAA requirements between carp and rainbow trout. The contents of EAA in the dietary proteins needed to satisfy the requirements of carp and rainbow trout were; leucine, 4.1, 4.4, isoleucine, 2.3, 2.4, valine, 2.9, 3.1, threonine 3.3, 3.4, phenylalanine, 2.9, 3.1, tyrosine, 2.0, 2.1, methionine, 1.6, 1.8, cystine 0.8, 0.9, tryptophan, 0.6, 0.5, arginine, 3.8, 3.5, histidine, 1.4, 1.6 and lysine, 5.3 and 5.3%, respectively, when diets with 40% protein of 80% digestibility were supplied at a feeding rate of 3% of bodyweight.

:D

Cheers, Dave.

Still quite sound even though from the early eighties. It's what got me started on making my own. At the time was working as a research chemist and had a flavour lab just next door - heaven?? Even used amino acids injected into sea baits in a hope to increase effectiveness.
Occasionally tinker these days but generally find a good base mix or boilie and buy that. Still got loads of ingredients in the freezer.

kempastini%20600.jpg

From this little gem of a book: Things may have changed from then, but think that the simple explanation still applies largely:
Proteins:
Proteins are built up from simple nitrogenous substances called amino acids. These amino acids are joined in polypeptide chains to form proteins, some of which contain all the important amino acids, whilst others are deficient in one or more. Due to the large number of diffrent combinations, there is an almost infinite number of possible proteins, each one different from the other.
Enzyme action during digestion breaks down the amino acid links freeing the individual amino acids and enabling absorption directly into the bloodstream. The acids are then assimulated back into the body proteins to repair damaged tissue or facilitate growth. Because amino acids present in food sources are not always in the same proportions as the body protein the 'food to flesh' conversion is not always complete. This conversion factor is termed 'Biological Value' (B.V.) and is numbered from 1 to 100............

Have fun,
Cheers,
Bob

An Excellent example Bob.
This kind of touches on my opinion, from what i've read that all proteins are available to all animals, from any particular food matter they eat, once broken down, and the amino acid content is free to metabolise into the fishes own cell structures, there are some aminos which are vital, some which are useful, and some which have no value at all to a fish, this may vary from one creature to another, but i have read that the nutritional needs of fish are broadly speaking very similar across the species.
This is is why the theory ( if that's what it is ) of some ( bait ) ingredients having very few of the proteins needed by carp just doesn't stack up in my opinion.
Apparently ( i haven't read the article yet ) Dave Moore states that Carp have very limited digestive enzymes, i've always understood that they actually have more than Mammals or predatory fish, which both are very efficient in the breakdown of proteins into their constituent aminos.

As stated in the book Bob quotes from, there are litteraly thousands of protein structures, if Carp or any fish for that matter were only able to utilise a few of them, ( whatever is meant by that ?? ) they would be condemed to eating from a very narrow range of food types, which if not available to them would seem them essentially starve.
The digestive enzymes of Carp, or any cyprinid, i believe are extremly efficient at breaking down any of the proteins contained in virtually any food which is edible to them.

This theory always seems to come from somebody connected to the bait making industry, whick ok you would think they'd be speaking with some authority on the subject, but doesn't seem to agree or is even mentioned in any of the research papers i've read.
And i wonder if it's because the bait companies want you to believe that, only their bait has the correct ( available :rolleyes: ) proteins that Carp need.

Load of hogwash methinks ! :p , but i'll wait to read this latest article before i say anymore, i'm making judgements here only from what Crooky has said, and that might not be fair.

Ian.

Good grief Ian.

Dave Moore, inventor of the Big Fish Mix - which by the way, has the ingredients listed on the packet - a bait which has caught a couple of fish in its time.

I think you should challenge him to a bait-off!

"Go Ian, Go Ian..."

Good grief Ian.

Dave Moore, inventor of the Big Fish Mix - which by the way, has the ingredients listed on the packet - a bait which has caught a couple of fish in its time.

I think you should challenge him to a bait-off!

"Go Ian, Go Ian..."

Darren,
I'm not saying Dave Moore is a numptey, far from it, but he's also involved with a company that has to produce a commercially viable product.

I've also read articles by him that advocate using 100 kilos of bait for a winter baiting campaign, where come spring he will change the bait to suit the weather conditions.
100 kilos of bait ? and by that he does mean boilies i'm sure.
why is it that he recomends so much ? have a think about it Darren, in order to stay in business these bait manufacturers must sell an awaful lot of bait.
I wonder what the management would say if he started advocating that it was unneccesary to bait in large amounts that regular baiting ( with their products) in very small amounts was the way to go ?

Dave Moores been around a long long time on the Carp scene, and has caught lots of good fish, and is no doubt a very very good angler.

Trouble is i'm by nature a sceptic, i rarely take anything anyone says on face value, and often wonder why people make statements, which as far as i can make out, doesn't correlate with scientific research, why is that ? they're not unknowledgable in their field, there must be a reason though, and i believe in many cases it's profit, and the need to promote a product, which is formulated and produced with that essential in mind, or they'd be out of business pretty quickly.
Using very small amounts of bait, with a very high protein content, is not really what they want one of their field testers to be telling everyone, and yes i am aware they are the only manufacturer to produce, a very very high protein mix in it's own right, actually though they don't tell you exactly whats in it, and the levels of the individual ingredients, if it truly is a very high protein mix, then i would say even at the price it is, the profit margin must be very low.

As for a bait off, i don't compete with anyone, only the fish Darren, but if i critisise, then i'd have to be prepared to stand up and be counted, so i'd be up for a ' bait off ' ..... with anyone including Dave Moore, but remember the way i bait with my Barbel fishing i believe keeps the multitude of fish away, i don't want to catch lots and lots, the challenge i love in my fishing is to see if i can weedle out the bigger stamp of fish intentionaly, and not just play the numbers game.

If someone like Dave Moore, showed me the scientific evidence to back up their claims i'd be the first to say ... Hands up there mate i was wrong, but everything i've read over the years, has never mentioned anything about 'available proteins', which i assume infers that Carp ( talking Carp ) can only utilise certain proteins, and would follow then that most proteins are not able to be utilised by Carp, if i'm reading all that correctly ! Hmmm - ok then show me the evidence.
Over the years, i've used quite a few of the most popular base mixes, and freezer baits, with varying degrees of results, some were really good, some i thought were rubbish, but none have come close to the results i've had using the bait i use now, - for the purpose i use it.
So if my bait is lacking in those 'available proteins', which as protein is essentialy the major ingredient in supplying the fish with nutrition ( and attraction ) then either there is something in my bait that i'm not aware of as being extremly benificial to the fish, or i've had some fantasticaly good luck on a bait that essentially is rubbish !
For catching those numbers, i still say meat ( and what i do with it ) compares very favourably with the best of the proprietry baits, and even out performs many of them.

When people from bait companies make statements, the sceptic in me is always aroused.
If what Crooky reports as what Dave Moore says is true then, presuming that Nutrabaits do have all these available 'proteins' in their baits then anything else, my bait, most other peoples baits, shouldn't even buy a bite !

I'll put my bait up against BFM, on a river fishing for barbel, anytime you like over a period, if it's a one off, give me half an hour to prepare a tin of meat, and i'll do the same.... any takers ???

Ian.

I'm so confused now..but I will be selling the new MAGIMIX foot boilie.

Hand made from cheese flavoured Chinese (of course...its cheap,) foot scrappings.

fishdoctor.jpg

Seems to work.

Ah, Graham, not the old 'two foot twitch'. That would give Big Fish Mix the boot, for sure.

> If what Crooky reports as what Dave Moore says is true then, presuming that Nutrabaits do have all these available 'proteins' in their baits then anything else, my bait, most other peoples baits, shouldn't even buy a bite !

Or, maybe protein isn't the be-all-and-end-all to catching fish...

Wow, wow, wow, before I get dragged into a libelous slagging off of a very reputable angler and bait afficionado, I had a ten minute conversation with you Ian whilst driving today, I mentioned a couple of points which I said clearly that I couldn't remeber the detail of, you jumped to your own conclusions regarding both the content and intent of the article you have not yet seen, as I told you at the time, I think the fact that you have posted based on that is totally out of order Ian!!! Please retract your negative comments and inferences until you have had a chance to read the article, if you then feel like you have a justified case to challenge it, based on scientific fact and not your opinion then go ahead, leaving my name out of it.

For the record, I found the article very, very interesting, quoting tested scientific facts and not hearsay or individual opinion and when you read it yo may well agree.

Ah, Graham, not the old 'two foot twitch'. That would give Big Fish Mix the boot, for sure.

> If what Crooky reports as what Dave Moore says is true then, presuming that Nutrabaits do have all these available 'proteins' in their baits then anything else, my bait, most other peoples baits, shouldn't even buy a bite !

Darren, Mr Grant has completely mis-quoted me, there was no mention by myself whatsoever of Nutrabaits, I didnt even know Dave Moore was involved with them. I also did not mention anything about anyone's bait having more available protein than anyone else's bait.............

Quite the opposite in fact, I did say that many contain a lot of unnecessary protein................but again that was speaking from memory of something I read ONCE, THREE WEEKS AGO.

My replys to Darrens, and Crookys comments.

Darren i take it you are inferring with that statement, that in my opinion protein is the be all, and end all, with a bait, I'd like you to show me where did i ever say that ?
I have to assume you meant High protein is not the be all, and end all to catching fish, as you'd find it impossible to find anthing you could offer them that didn't contain any.
I have in fact though said exactly that in so many words, unless you're just not capable of reading through my posts, which do get a bit long i have to admit.
Unless it was a poor attempt at muddying the water, and i thought you were better than that Darren, if you are going to try and twist my opinions, and don't try and kid me that was not your intention - you're going to have to do a lot better than that.

To Crookys posts.

Crooky - the only reference i made to your comments were with regard to the ' available protein content ' and i gave my opinions on that.
Any further comments that i wrote were mine and mine only, and not based on anything you wrote, and were from opinions i'd formed (a) In general about what bait manufactures state and claim about their products, and (B) descriptions of how Dave Moore carried out his fishing, particularly in one article i read of his describing his pre baiting.
My further comments mentioning Nutabaits, were again mine, and mine alone,
the line where i said 'If what Crooky reports as what Dave Moore says is true' is where any reference to you finished.

I think the fact that you have posted based on that is totally out of order Ian!!!

Really ! Well good for you !
I made comments on the subject matter of 'available protein content', which you clearly reffered to as being part of the content of the article you talked of.
What i went on further to say - HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU, OR THE ARTICLE YOU REFFERED TO, BUT OTHER WRITINGS FROM DAVE MOORE WHICH I MENTIONED IN MY POST - GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT MR CROOK, READ MY POST, AND DIGEST IT'S CONTENT YOU'LL SEE I NEVER ONCE 'QUOTED' YOU !!! in block capitals so you wouldn't miss any of it !

I also said, at the end of my post replying to Bobs post....

i'm making judgements here only from what Crooky has said, and that might not be fair.
Reference to your post where you kicked the whole thing off about 'available protein'
where you said....
Originally Posted by Ian Crook

You wrote it, i read it, i disagreed with it and said so, which has nothing whatsoever to do with you, or your opinions Mr Crook.

Don't tell me to retract my comments when they had nothing whatsoever to do with you !

Regards
Ian.

Ian, I am absolutely gobsmacked!!!

I didn't quote, I mentioned there was an article, you did disagree, without having seen it, in post no 48, that was fine, you quite rightly said you would read it yourself before commenting. Then, as one friend to another, I called you and we had a chat, me trying and probably failing to remember any real detail, you jumping to conclusions and forming opinions, I then log in a few hours later and all of that opinion you were forming on the phone is on here, quoting me, example: "Apparently ( i haven't read the article yet ) Dave Moore states that Carp have very limited digestive enzymes", and "This theory always seems to come from somebody connected to the bait making industry, whick ok you would think they'd be speaking with some authority on the subject, but doesn't seem to agree or is even mentioned in any of the research papers i've read.
And i wonder if it's because the bait companies want you to believe that, only their bait has the correct ( available ) proteins that Carp need.

Load of hogwash methinks ! , but i'll wait to read this latest article before i say anymore, i'm making judgements here only from what Crooky has said, and that might not be fair."

and "Trouble is i'm by nature a sceptic, i rarely take anything anyone says on face value, and often wonder why people make statements, which as far as i can make out, doesn't correlate with scientific research, why is that ? they're not unknowledgable in their field, there must be a reason though, and i believe in many cases it's profit, and the need to promote a product, which is formulated and produced with that essential in mind, or they'd be out of business pretty quickly.
Using very small amounts of bait, with a very high protein content, is not really what they want one of their field testers to be telling everyone, and yes i am aware they are the only manufacturer to produce, a very very high protein mix in it's own right, actually though they don't tell you exactly whats in it, and the levels of the individual ingredients, if it truly is a very high protein mix, then i would say even at the price it is, the profit margin must be very low."

and: "If someone like Dave Moore, showed me the scientific evidence to back up their claims i'd be the first to say ... Hands up there mate i was wrong, but everything i've read over the years, has never mentioned anything about 'available proteins', which i assume infers that Carp ( talking Carp ) can only utilise certain proteins, and would follow then that most proteins are not able to be utilised by Carp, if i'm reading all that correctly ! Hmmm - ok then show me the evidence."

And: "When people from bait companies make statements, the sceptic in me is always aroused.
If what Crooky reports as what Dave Moore says is true then, presuming that Nutrabaits do have all these available 'proteins' in their baits then anything else, my bait, most other peoples baits, shouldn't even buy a bite !"

I will put in capitals so you'll understand YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE ARTICLE, how can you comment??

I actually tried calling you first to let you know I wasn't happy but you didn't answer, so I thought I had better say something to distance myself from what looked to all the world like I may have mis-represented the facts, hence my post, where I was polite and used words like please and asked you to withdraw comments only until after reading it................

Now, give us a cuddle x

Last edited:
Ian, I am absolutely gobsmacked!!!

I didn't quote, I mentioned there was an article, you did disagree, without having seen it, in post no 48, that was fine, you quite rightly said you would read it yourself before commenting. Then, as one friend to another, I called you and we had a chat, me trying and probably failing to remember any real detail, you jumping to conclusions and forming opinions, I then log in a few hours later and all of that opinion you were forming on the phone is on here, quoting me, example: "Apparently ( i haven't read the article yet ) Dave Moore states that Carp have very limited digestive enzymes", and "This theory always seems to come from somebody connected to the bait making industry, whick ok you would think they'd be speaking with some authority on the subject, but doesn't seem to agree or is even mentioned in any of the research papers i've read.
And i wonder if it's because the bait companies want you to believe that, only their bait has the correct ( available ) proteins that Carp need.

Load of hogwash methinks ! , but i'll wait to read this latest article before i say anymore, i'm making judgements here only from what Crooky has said, and that might not be fair."

and "Trouble is i'm by nature a sceptic, i rarely take anything anyone says on face value, and often wonder why people make statements, which as far as i can make out, doesn't correlate with scientific research, why is that ? they're not unknowledgable in their field, there must be a reason though, and i believe in many cases it's profit, and the need to promote a product, which is formulated and produced with that essential in mind, or they'd be out of business pretty quickly.
Using very small amounts of bait, with a very high protein content, is not really what they want one of their field testers to be telling everyone, and yes i am aware they are the only manufacturer to produce, a very very high protein mix in it's own right, actually though they don't tell you exactly whats in it, and the levels of the individual ingredients, if it truly is a very high protein mix, then i would say even at the price it is, the profit margin must be very low."

and: "If someone like Dave Moore, showed me the scientific evidence to back up their claims i'd be the first to say ... Hands up there mate i was wrong, but everything i've read over the years, has never mentioned anything about 'available proteins', which i assume infers that Carp ( talking Carp ) can only utilise certain proteins, and would follow then that most proteins are not able to be utilised by Carp, if i'm reading all that correctly ! Hmmm - ok then show me the evidence."

And: "When people from bait companies make statements, the sceptic in me is always aroused.
If what Crooky reports as what Dave Moore says is true then, presuming that Nutrabaits do have all these available 'proteins' in their baits then anything else, my bait, most other peoples baits, shouldn't even buy a bite !"

I will put in capitals so you'll understand YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE ARTICLE, how can you comment??

I actually tried calling you first to let you know I wasn't happy but you didn't answer, so I thought I had better say something to distance myself from what looked to all the world like I may have mis-represented the facts, hence my post, where I was polite and used words like please and asked you to withdraw comments only until after reading it................

Now, give us a cuddle x

Anything i wrote other than directly reffrering to the 'availibilty of Protein', which you reffered to from the article, and actually including that was from previous experiences as i said of the same by others not Dave Moore, who until YOU SAID IT, i wasn't aware that he ever had.
I was disagreeing in a general vein of the opinion, which i said in my opinion just doesn't stack up.

Anything else you've quoted from me, is from me, not as a result either directly or indirectly from your post about the article you reffered to or to anything you said in your post
And where i did mention you, i said....
You will note that i was careful to say ' If what Crooky reports ' which you did no more no less, and certainly not that i was incinuating or meaning in any way that you were stating an opinion.

If you are trying to goad me from being a Nerd to a Caveman as you put it !
( sorry people you wont understand that bit ) then it wont work me 'ol cocker ;) I like being a Nerd :p

Give you a cuddle ? :eek:
I'd rather jump naked into a pit of Rattlesnakes ;)

Ian.

Last edited:
Back