• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barrow

John Smith 2

Thinking of buying a barrow for some of the longer walks on the Trent. Considering Nash Metro, Carpporter mk2 fatboy/puncture proof or the cheaper carp zone. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Yea my travelling companion is a brickie and we have used his in the past. Better for the car though if I invest in something that folds down.

I've got a basic no frills Nash barrow which I bought nearly 15 years ago, looks very similar to the Nomad in design - probably just an earlier model. It's been faultless. Although I don't use one when barbelling I do find them invaluable for longer stay tench and carp sessions and for leapfrogging on drains. Also very handy for lugging the camping gear to festivals!

Personally I wouldn't go for one with rails on the sides, it just adds to the weight and 2-3 bungee cords is enough to keep everything in place, imo. Another consideration is how it folds up - ideally your barrow should be the last thing you load into the car and the first thing you take out - what I like about mine is the the way it folds up (with the wheels still on) is that I can place it on top /over of my rod quiver without it pressing against my rods and reels. I know you can remove the wheels on most models but thats too faffy for my liking, especially in winter when your hands are frozen.

Another useful tip is to get a decent cover - I picked up a used Army Andy one on EBay and it's brilliant, 100% waterproof, easy to fit and remove and drys very quickly.

I'd have a scout on EBay - bound to be some second-hand bargains to be had, there's not much that go wrong with a barrow.

I've had the Korum barrow 6yrs now can't fault it i can get everything on it & it's light & folds up really small for car.

I use a carp porter mk2 for my long walk's on the Trent, they are very good, they are extendable on width and length to suit your need's, come with bungee strap's and a spares pack, the under bag is ideal for bait bucket's / spare clothe's etc, a puncture proof tyre is a must IMHO , hope this help's Paul...

I've got the Nash metro barrow. Great day / short session barrow. Compact, well built and seems very robust. Also folds down small and flat when compared to some other barrows so great for the car boot. Comes with a nice insert barrow bag.

I've got a preston shuttle that I use for my commercial club matches, loaded with the usual mountain of match gear....I may try the shuttle this year on long walks with flat banks, it's worth a try i reckon.

Thanks for all the replies. Being compact is my main priority so the Nash metro looks favourite if I can pick one up reasonable.My only worry is I'll start taking the kitchen sink again!
Regards

Whatever you do do yourself a big favour and DO NOT use bungy straps, seen a few nasty accidents with them, one bloke lucky to still have his eye, they are bloody dangerous, ratchet straps are cheap and better.

Also got a Preston Shuttle for Match Fishing on ponds/lakes, think it would be fine on a reasonable bank, if it becomes lumpy or narrow, or the grass/plant life is longer than a couple of feet I think you may struggle.

I went all out and got one of the tf gear juggernauts. Superb bit of kit, the three chunky wheels are ideal for long hauls with the overnight kit on rough banks. No need for lifting just push it along. It is very heavy though, which is good as it's very well made, but folds away fairly well.

Whatever you do do yourself a big favour and DO NOT use bungy straps, seen a few nasty accidents with them, one bloke lucky to still have his eye, they are bloody dangerous, ratchet straps are cheap and better.

Blimey :eek:...can anyone recommend some decent safety goggles? In Realtree obviously..:p

I warned my son in law about this Joe, did he listen ? nope, not until he ended up with 10 stitches in his nut after one let go.

Riggers barrows for me. British made and built to last. I've got a Preston shuttle and it's pants along uneven ground.

John, all the various barrows out there are purely versions of the tried and tested builders wheelbarrow. The only difference is usually the type and size of the load platform. The riggers barrow that Sam uses is just a simple flat platform, which is light and adequate. Others have the more fancy design platform with fronts, backs, sides and a friggin teasmade if you are lucky :D

The only issues are when they try to reinvent the wheelbarrow. A single central front wheel set reasonable well back, to take advantage of the lever principle, with handles and rear legs all designed like a builders barrow, is about as efficient as it gets. Once they start fannying about with that, putting the wheels nearer the front, using two front wheels, weird handle designs etc., etc., then that is when the problems start....they are pants.

My advice is to go with the basic design, with as much weight as is feasible in front of the wheel. That gives you balance and significantly lightens the load as said, and the single wheel helps with keeping the whole thing upright on uneven ground. All you need then is to choose the strength versus weight ratio that suits you, and you're done. The Carp Porterlite Mk2 looks good, though I haven't tried it. It is light, looks well designed...and is less than £90. Must be worth a look?

Cheers, Dave.

Back