• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbless Hooks

Pete Dalton

Hello team, I purchased ESP Curve shank 'barbless ' hooks by mistake, didn't notice the barbless. Worried these may cost hard earned fish. Any views? I was thinking of using them on easier waters where the odd bumped fish doesn't matter. Does anyone use barbless and have confidence in them?

It's meant to be sport, can't remember the last time I lost a fish due to a barbless hook. Imo, must cause less damage, an opinion not shared by all !

I've not used a barbed hook in the last 6yrs of barbel fishing. If I bump off one barbel a year, that's about it. I have 100% confidence in barbless.

Hi Pete,

What you generally find is that the two factions in the barbed/barbless argument are made up of those who have used barbless hooks for a lengthy period, and those who have never...or hardly ever...used them.

Those who have used barbless hooks a lot will tell you that they do NOT lose fish as a result, and that they have complete faith in them.

Those who have never used them will assure you that you WILL lose fish by using barbless hooks...and that they have no faith in them at all....

Make of that what you will :D

Cheers, Dave.

I have used barbless a lot and have never lost a fish because of them, and agree with David. All the time you are in contact with the fish on a tight line, and that is most of the time with Barbel, the hook is not coming out. Don't worry about it use them.

ATB
Colin

Barbel and hook pulls just don't happen from my experience, the only time I remember losing a barbel this way was when I was a kid and inexperienced at using a landing net for big fish, and it came adrift at the net...I can't honestly say I've pulled out of one since. I use barbless a majority of the time, and I don't suffer many hook pulls at all of all species, and with barbel, I would say use barbless with extreme confidence.

Hi Pete,
I notice your address is Windsor and not a million miles from my area and you are going to try the hooks on easier waters.If these are local the please tell me where,PM is okay!!!!!!

Cheers.
ps doubt it will cost you many fish espically form ouu neck of the woods

Hi Pete,
I notice your address is Windsor and not a million miles from my area and you are going to try the hooks on easier waters.If these are local the please tell me where,PM is okay!!!!!!

Cheers.
ps doubt it will cost you many fish espically form our neck of the woods

Hellfire...just goes to show that it pays to keep quiet about good waters...that's two of you who want details of Pete's swims already :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I use barbless most of the for most of my fishing.. If i am dragging in weed with the fish and am alone, I would rather use barbed incase i cannot keep a tight line on the fish.

OK here is a bit of a spaniard in the works
- are barbless advocates happy using them when upstream fishing
- this in most circumstances results in slack lines and barbless are not the best option on slack lines.

OK here is a bit of a spaniard in the works
- are barbless advocates happy using them when upstream fishing
- this in most circumstances results in slack lines and barbless are not the best option on slack lines.

I always fish slack lines up and downstream.

Back