• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbless hooks?

Neolithic hooks and Stone Age wheel , if it ain't broke etc

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2841.jpeg
    IMG_2841.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 33
I use Gardner talon tip wide gape size 8 with a micro barb for virtually all of my barbel fishing. I was wondering the other day whether the micro barb was needed given the soundness of most barbel hook holds and the fact that we generally keep pressure on during the fight? I'd be interested in the thoughts of anglers who use barbless.
Pallatrax Gripz are exceptional imo.
Started using them due to a ‘no barbed’ rule on one of my rivers & never went back to using barbed hooks elsewhere 👍🏼

Ultimately the intention of a barbed or micro barbed hook is to reduce the chance of the hook coming out of the fishes mouth thus helping us land more fish . The debate should be do barbed hooks do more damage to the fish than barbless hooks when we are trying to extract them from the fishes mouth ? There is also the claim that fish are more able to shed a barbless hook than one with a barb should they become snagged . Answers ? It's obvious that a barbed hook is harder to remove from a fishes mouth than one without a barb , its the amount of damage that is done in the removal process that anglers need to consider .I use micro barbed hooks or squashed down barbed hooks , in my opinion they give a better hook hold and can be extracted fairly easily causing minimal damage

Last edited:
They have a series of grooves where a barb would be, they just work, and well.
I use the ones that are the same pattern as the original Pallatrax ‘The Hook.’
Yes I see ,just looked at some images . I guess the idea is to reduce the likelihood of the hook coming out , sort of barbed variation , interesting idea .

Yes I see ,just looked at some images . I guess the idea is to reduce the likelihood of the hook coming out , sort of barbed variation , interesting idea .
They come out as easy as a barbless when removed with fingers but they don’t fall out when the line goes slack.
I guess they work a little bit like tyre tread and offer a bit of resistance.
Good idea.
I get pretty much the same effect by squeezing a barb down and creating a bump on the inside. Like the grips hooks it stops it falling out on a slack line and getting stuck in your net or worse.

They come out as easy as a barbless when removed with fingers but they don’t fall out when the line goes slack.
Good idea.
I get pretty much the same effect by squeezing a barb down and creating a bump on the inside. Like the grips hooks it stops it falling out on a slack line and getting stuck in your net or

Good idea.
I get pretty much the same effect by squeezing a barb down and creating a bump on the inside. Like the grips hooks it stops it falling out on a slack line and getting stuck in your net or worse.
They seem to go in & stay in, I’m a big fan…plus as you say they’re easy to remove from the net, clothing & foliage lol

Pallatrax Gripz are exceptional imo.
Started using them due to a ‘no barbed’ rule on one of my rivers & never went back to using barbed hooks elsewhere 👍🏼

We sell them on here ;)

Back