• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in the snow

I managed to sneak 4 more today, this is the best one at 9lb on the nose.

All were on the stickfloat and pin and all on maggot!

100_4427.jpg

I dunno, the last one looks like a photshop job if you ask me lol. Only kidding of course, they're great photos and even better captures.

Andy

The picture of Ray Walton with a barbel in the snow can be found on the Throop report dated 29th November 2009,on the Davis Tackle website, it's worth having a look, especially if you know Ray, i dont know how old he is when the picture was taken, i would guess he was 24, i am sure Ray will tell us if he reads this.
Brian
PS. Stunning pictures Keith, it's nice to have people like you who can remind us what a barbel looks like.

Last edited:
Here are the pics that Brian referred to back in the 1980's, when i was experimenting in all conditions and water temperatures, as part of my 6 year 'Barbel Study' on the Royalty Fishery in Dorset.

Water Temp - 35F - March
Snowray8+reduced.jpg

Water Temp - 36F - March - (the day after the one above, in melting snow water)
Snowray4+reduced.jpg

Last edited:
In view of Keith's recent stunning catches, we have a WBC motion on the table to ban stick floats....of any type, shape, creed...:p

Top angling mate ;)

Ian

Wonderful photos Keith - on a pin and stick as well - marvellous. :)

I think Ray's b/white shot was the only other pic I'd seen of 'snow barbel' although I'm sure there must be others.

How do we know if thats you Ray, we can't see your face, only joking, i havn't seen that one before.
Theres a few barbel anglers who would like to catch one in the sun, or this season let alone in artic conditions.
Brian.

Wouldn't it be nice if.....

Oi! Beach Boy of Throop....Richie sent this spitting image pic of you and your new bailiff patch:)
elma.jpg
elmerfudd.jpg

Last edited:
:):)moments like those of Keiths and Rays are what keeps us trying when all our instincts are screaming your mad at us:) wonderful....j.w

Cheers for the picture Ray and Ritchie, Tina said it is an improvement, i must say that it makes me look younger,Ray and Ritchie, sounds like a double act.
thanks fella's.
Brian Fudd.

Monsieur Lawless one!!

I have seen a number of very strange things being punted around the bankside by various nefarious individuals, but I did not ever think that my shabby stick floats and rusty old pins would ever get me into trouble!!

I have a vision of Wilson creeping down the bank in a Fagin like over coat, shuffling up to anglers and quietly whispering :-

“Oy Mate, wanna buy a Lignum Stick, Top quality Moroccanâ€.
:):):)

Keith, well impressed!!
I'm looking forward to getting the float rod out once the levels drop a little, appetite truly whetted!!

All the best,

Steve

Back