• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel in the snow

Rich Shipman

I expect like a lot of other people i always think it would be great to catch and photo a barbel in the snow (yes i know the conditions are all against me,i just cant motivate myself to even try anyway) !!!
I have seen a photo in a book somewhere just wondering if anyone has caught one or have been out trying to catch one just for a bit of bragging rights??

I'd say if anyone out there would like to try and catch a barbel in the snow then the conditions are damn near perfect at the moment Rich! :D:D:D

Now I do believe there was a photo in the archives of a certain Nick Coulthurst, (one of the original BFWer's, now returned to the friendly fold ;)), with a picture, (naked? :p) with a fish in the snow.

Arr those were the days...

Ian,

There's a photo' of Ray Walton, with a (lower?) Royalty barbel caught in quite cold conditions, in the first of The Barbel Catchers Club books, "Barbel" (Barbel Catchers & Friends),

Mike.

Snow

Didn't Trevor West have a snow barbal picture in one of his books "a quest for barbal " perhaps ?.

paul

Just checked the book and it was an 8lbs2oz fish from the 'Telegraph' area, with the water temperature 35Deg.F and air, 25Deg.F.

Mike

Bloody hell Rich there's no chance for you my boy. You think 10 deg is cold!!!!!!:)

There is a lesser caught snowy Barbel in the Middle Trent gallery from last year.
On that note has anyone caught a Barbel in 2010???

Unless it is like the Tyne, Dee, Dane, Warks Avon, Severn (Shrewsbury) and a few others and bank to bank ice!
0a815fc0d8a39cf20d82c7795df3930f7146d0a.JPG

(That is a saline estuary partially frozen in Conwy)

I thought I might get out tomorrow (even just for deadbaits and frozen maggot feeder or float anything) but since returning early to work at home another 4" have fallen and I'm due for heavy snow showers overnight.
Its been awhile since "Lakes froze, the river turned black and icicles festooned the weirs"

Oh to quote:
British Waterways said almost 90% of its 2,200-mile river and canal network was frozen solid. For the first time in most locals' memory, the whole of Derwen****er in the Lake District was frozen.

Conrad
as one word its that T followed by three others!:eek:

Back