• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing in France / Belgium /Holland

Lee Williams

Anyone been, anyone know much about it, permits needed, size of rivers, head of fish, anywhere with camping facilities I quite fancy a few days camping with the family next summer but tying it in with some barbel fishing, any info appreciated gents

Anyone been, anyone know much about it, permits needed, size of rivers, head of fish, anywhere with camping facilities I quite fancy a few days camping with the family next summer but tying it in with some barbel fishing, any info appreciated gents

Ade Kiddell on Facebook is the man to ask I'd say Lee. I've got a few mates who went last year.

Remember reading something on a carp forum a while back about being careful on French rivers as ******* come on boats and rob you. Obviously they are only going to be in certain areas but always put me off the idea. Also I remember picking up some flyers for fishing holidays from a show years back and one of them was for a huge lake in Spain (I know that ain’t where your asking about) and on there it claimed there was barbel to 40lb. Didn’t think that would be possible but always had me intrigued. Imagine the fight one of them would give you

<edit> word removed by Andy F after complaint received

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee
Have a look on YouTube, Paul Floyd's angling adventure. Barbel Fishing in France: A Century of French Barbel.

Hi men,

Carte de perche online for a week is about £30 , barbel fishing in France is becoming more attractive , but info is normally through carp pages due to accidental captures etc so carp forums and pages are the best place to look . The carte is a holiday ticket for that price , and covers public fishing which there is tons of , massive massive potential for untapped barbel fishing , perhaps not big fish , but like turning the clock back 20 years here . I'm off back down past Limoges again in October and I'm doing a couple of days on the Vienne river , obviously for carp , but I'm told plenty of barbel , especially in the upper stretches so will report back . One day there will be guided and organised barbel holidays in France along the lines of the carp trips .

If you want to travel ferther , here is somewhere to stay , the owner is a mine of info .

Hatter

Jon, the Spanish have the Comizo barbel, I believe that the official record is 37lb.
Ah right that would probably be it then. I tried to find the flyer out yesterday as I knew I still had some of them stashed away but it wasn’t in there. Did find some old photos of my mates from v festival mixed in with them though

It transpires I have a cousin in Poitiers who has offered to put me up, near the River Clain, he doesn't know a lot about about fishing but he lives by a river, and is a mad Villa fan and piss head.. Sounds good anyone know about this river

Just got back from ades, best holiday Iv been on, 29 barbel, couple of carp, couple of cats, roach and Chub, the food was amazing, weather was great, scenery was fantastic and so was the fishing, learnt from ade aswell and adapted my fishing to his knowledge and upper my catch rate, can’t recommend him enough and his lovely wife T

I was cycling in France last year. One day, I crossed the L'Allan, near the town of Montbelliard and paused to look off the bridge at the river below. There was a shoal of very good sized Barbel, smallest I'd guess as being 8lb, largest well over twice that, grubbing about and sending clouds of disturbed silt downstream. The river itself was a stunner; endless waving ranunculus and golden gravel... One day...

Hi men,

River Lot , as many rivers in France totally untouched , fairly sure if you fish for them you would be the first to catch them , as the French don't seem to bother . Worth referencing this video , also the Vienne .

He describes the potential at 50 mins in , but the whole video is shot on the Thames and Lot and is worth a watch . The Lot has got Hatter written all over it 😉

Hatter

Hi men,

Carte de perche online for a week is about £30 , barbel fishing in France is becoming more attractive , but info is normally through carp pages due to accidental captures etc so carp forums and pages are the best place to look . The carte is a holiday ticket for that price , and covers public fishing which there is tons of , massive massive potential for untapped barbel fishing , perhaps not big fish , but like turning the clock back 20 years here . I'm off back down past Limoges again in October and I'm doing a couple of days on the Vienne river , obviously for carp , but I'm told plenty of barbel , especially in the upper stretches so will report back . One day there will be guided and organised barbel holidays in France along the lines of the carp trips .

If you want to travel ferther , here is somewhere to stay , the owner is a mine of info .

Hatter

Have you got a link for the online carte de peche, Mark? I always try for the odd day fishing when on hols in France but often struggle to locate an open 'tabac' to get one and then my dodgy French makes things challenging to say the least.

Hi men ,

This looks lovely , and one of the shots of the cliff face cut away is in an area for big carp and barbel . Shows that no matter what country you are from , anglers are anglers

Hatter

Back