• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the β€˜Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing in France / Belgium /Holland

So is ours Mark. We should have set off two weeks ago, but had a problem with the vehicle. All being well we will be setting off next weekend for just over a fortnight following the Ebro from source to sea. I will pm you a few swims you might like to have a look at near L'Isle Jourdain. It is hard going at the moment. The surface temps were only 12C last week and the fish aren't having it. It is snowing now and will be down to -3C overnight for the next three nights.

Hi men,

I'm off down country over Easter for 8 days , fishing a lovely lake , but driving up the river Vienne to visit a mate who has started a b+b in a big old ex police house in a typical French town , lovely. So it would be rude not to have a day around L'Isie - Jourdain if time permits , as it hold barbel and carp in the same bit πŸ‘.

Hatter
Hope you get a string pulled Mark. Really looking forward to getting out there, I've not carp fished in France since Sept 2007 so it's long overdue. Jad to cancel the trip planned in 2020 thanks to covid.

Can't wait tonget ny carp fishing head on for a week. Just hope my hammer and tack won't object to 8 nights on a bed chair!

The post-Brexit bait restrictions are a pain in the backside aren't they?

That mistake brought back memories!

Between lock-downs we had a touring group of members from the Toulouse Ochestre Nationale visiting our Salle de Fete (village hall).

Only in France would this type of small-town event happen, I am pretty sure!

Absolutely Amazing! It was The Four Seasons and, in quite a small auditorium, very "up-close-and -personal". Something I will never forget! 😍
Sounds great Steve, love stuff like that. Had the privilege of being invited to a live orchestra performing 'The Snowman' at Manchester Childrens Hospital a few years back, being up close and personal to a live orchestra like that is something quite special.

Hope you get a string pulled Mark. Really looking forward to getting out there, I've not carp fished in France since Sept 2007 so it's long overdue. Jad to cancel the trip planned in 2020 thanks to covid.

Can't wait tonget ny carp fishing head on for a week. Just hope my hammer and tack won't object to 8 nights on a bed chair!

Hi men,

Joe , I'm getting old , iv just purchased a front for my tempest 😲😁. You can't fail to enjoy the trip , one of the best I had I really struggled , caught 3 small carp , and survived a hurricane blowing across 150 acres πŸ˜‚. Me and sue hung on all night 😲😁, enjoy fella πŸ‘

Hatter

Hi men,

Joe , I'm getting old , iv just purchased a front for my tempest 😲😁. You can't fail to enjoy the trip , one of the best I had I really struggled , caught 3 small carp , and survived a hurricane blowing across 150 acres πŸ˜‚. Me and sue hung on all night 😲😁, enjoy fella πŸ‘

Hatter
A front?! You'll be getting a ground sheet next! 🀣

What are the post brexit bait restrictions Joe?

I agree with Steve. If you feel the need to use boilies then krill or crab is the way to go. But don't discount Frolics dog biscuits. They will catch barbel and carp and are available from supermarkets in two sizes.

View attachment 18810

these things?

Rather get sorted before we go Hatter than waste time looking for shops pal 😁
You can have it delivered to a business local to your destination for collection. That way the Douanes won't take it off you at Calais.

If you are going to smuggle bait through I have been reliably informed that the bsst way to do it is in a French registered car or motorhome and have British passports at the ready. That way both sets of custome officials wave you through. The worst way is in a UK registered van with a load of your mates. If you do that you are more likely to be stopped.

Hi men,

There are loads of tackle shops that sell bait in France , they don't travel over here to buy their bait πŸ˜‚

Hatter

We have a contact over there who owns a well respected bait company, so sourcing good bait at a good price isn't the issue, I'd just rather have a tried and tested bait that I've got 100% confidence in rather than one I've never used before. And one that others might be using.

What are the post brexit bait restrictions Joe?
Basically you cant import animal feeds into France, pellets and boilies obviously come under that category..some people have told me that there is a 2kg limit, but I'm working on the basis that's its zero.

Although I'm classing tiger nuts as a human food grade product!!

Hi men,

I know someone who was stopped , take plenty of euros just in case . The law has been there for ages , take a chance , but nobody can moan if they take your months wages off you if you are caught 😁😁😁😁.
I took some through , it was on show and nothing was said , unlike the van behind me .

Hatter

Basically you cant import animal feeds into France, pellets and boilies obviously come under that category..some people have told me that there is a 2kg limit, but I'm working on the basis that's its zero.

Although I'm classing tiger nuts as a human food grade product!!
Hi men,
Yes Joe , same as me . I'm very choosy about my tigers , spend a fair bit of time getting them right , rather than some that are provided that taste of cardboard πŸ˜²πŸ˜‹ . I'm sure the border control don't know what tigers are , but they do know pellets and boilies . Only saving grace is the hold ups at exit points , they just want you through at the mo .

Hatter

Last edited:
I understand that they are now issuing these to the French customs officers. Careful where you hide your tiger nuts πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚

latex glove.jpg

Hi men,

I know someone who was stopped , take plenty of euros just in case . The law has been there for ages , take a chance , but nobody can moan if they take your months wages off you if you are caught 😁😁😁😁.
I took some through , it was on show and nothing was said , unlike the van behind me .

Hatter

cheers guys. hatter serious question… how much was the fine pal?

Back