• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Barbel fishing in Cornwall

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
My wife wants us to retire in Cornwall, South Coast. Can anyone put me out of my misery and let me know if there is any barbel fishing that far west or in Devon even ?

As far as I know,none of the Cornish rivers support barbel. The geology of Cornwall and much of Devon means the water is too acidic. There are some barbel in the Exe and Culm and there is some suggestion that numbers are on the increase, I'm sure others on this forum will know more.

I'd suggest Dorset to the Mrs...very similar to Devon but with better rivers within easy reach.

Sounds like a sequel to that film - "Salmon Fishing in The Yemen" and about as likely. As already suggested, Dorset for trips to Avon, Stour etc.

Lovely coastline and not as busy as Devon and Cornwall.

No Barbel in Cornish Rivers I am afraid, but you could try White Acres :eek:

But those many rocky coves would provide fantastic sport with the lure rod, and why not try some faux Barbel fishing with the Mullet, they go some way up the creeks and of course will send you mad in the harbours, Padstow being a good venue.

...take some with you?

SUITCASE.png

Back