• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

baits that just worked !!

Anybody heard of Worms ?

No chemicals, no long nights preparing the baits, , no mixing , no need to peruse the bait shelves in tackle shops , no magic mystery ingredients .
No advertising blurb, no carp ( or barbel) tax , no waste, no stink in the kitchen.

David
Like your style David, like your style 👍

Anybody heard of Worms ?

No chemicals, no long nights preparing the baits, , no mixing , no need to peruse the bait shelves in tackle shops , no magic mystery ingredients .
No advertising blurb, no carp ( or barbel) tax , no waste, no stink in the kitchen.

David
And no profit for the bait companies and tackle shops. I reckon they'll keep it quiet hoping that anglers don't get to hear about them.

Mainline assassin 8 for me. Just seemed to work where ever I took it barbel on the Bristol Avon, carp in Colne Valley, Catfish in the Midlands great bait.

Anybody heard of Worms ?

David
The big problem is everything that swims has also heard of worms! They will catch every fish in the river and there is no worse bait for having to constantly disturb a carefully prepared barbel swim.

.....there's a theme going here : A/. garlic B/. pork/liver/smoked ham (Active 8) and C/. 'spice' (chilli/black pepper).

Maybe, just maybe, flavoured luncheon meat might catch a barbel or two? 🙃
Meat is, and always has been, a top, top bait. Not even sure it needs to be flavoured either. It is also a very deadly carp bait and will very often totally out fish boilies or pellets when carp fishing.

The big problem is everything that swims has also heard of worms! They will catch every fish in the river and there is no worse bait for having to constantly disturb a carefully prepared barbel swim.
I agree Alex, but the OP does not actually specify that said bait should be Barbel ( or for that matter any other fish ) specific.

David

I think the crux of the thread was as a last resort to avoid a blank.

I’ve always found both maggots and casters fished with hemp to be an ultra-reliable bait. Casters in summer and early autumn, maggots late autumn through the end of the season. My PB barbel, tench, roach have all fallen to maggots.

I’m never been one for using boilies on mass, and predating etc. But I’ve always found Trigga does the business. Fish of all species just love it.

On those days where the river is absolutely piling through you’ll be hard pushed to beat a match box sized lump of cathedral city.
you’ll not get pestered by other species in these conditions and barbel absolutely love it.
I fish cheese on one meat on the other and the cheese 80% of the time is found by barbel first in these conditions.
ideally it’s best kept for the most hardcore conditions because if the chub are out they can’t leave it alone but from my experience it absolutely knocks the spots off anything else in a proper swollen river

On those days where the river is absolutely piling through you’ll be hard pushed to beat a match box sized lump of cathedral city.
you’ll not get pestered by other species in these conditions and barbel absolutely love it.
I fish cheese on one meat on the other and the cheese 80% of the time is found by barbel first in these conditions.
ideally it’s best kept for the most hardcore conditions because if the chub are out they can’t leave it alone but from my experience it absolutely knocks the spots off anything else in a proper swollen river
Very interesting. I have tried cheese for barbel before without success, similarly with bread, but I have seen others catch on bread.

Very interesting. I have tried cheese for barbel before without success, similarly with bread, but I have seen others catch on bread.
I think like any bait it’s definitely a case of applying it to where it’s best suited.
cheese rarely gets a look in for barbel, anglers just naturally associate it with chub which is true as they go mad for it.
but it’s got all the qualities of a perfect flood water bait when the chub are simply well out the way.
it’s hard and firm and stays on hairs forever.
it’s heavy….. sinks like a brick and stays pinned on the deck better than meat and boilies.
it’s bright and bold and has a strong smell and flavour which is why I’ve always found it gets nailed first.
Barbel most probably prefer the meat in general but I can guarantee they’ll find the cheese first.
last time I used it was on the nene December last year when the river was over the bank and within 15mins it was slammed into by a fat 13lb girl.
8DF38FA9-56EF-439B-B759-9EF7F6BDA885.jpeg

Id never dismiss cheese in the floods. My favorite bait for proper hardcore fishing

Three or four micro mini barrels from the Blue Bottle Bait company fished over approximately 4500 free offerings.I like to pre soak mine in Truffle oil and sprinkle on some Columbian dancing dust .Expensive ,but the fish go bloody nuts for em.
About that truffle oil, where did you source it? Asking for a friend😀

Darren trust me you dont wanna know.
But just between you and me ,i understand that a leading bait manufacturer has his chemist working on a copy locked in under a dry cleaning unit on an industrial estate in New Mexico.
But you didnt hear that from me.
;)

Back