• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

baits that just worked !!

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
I have never believed in magic baits

BUT a bait that just works ! sadly long time no longer available ! but I managed to buy some harden hook bait pots a couple of years ago and the times when I am struggling to get a bite despite ringing the changes with pellet spam different boiles

AND THEN put on a Nash Instant Action Liver And Garlic and sure enough if a take comes it will always be that rod and normally not long to wait either ! I have tried to replicate it with liver & Garlic but it does not produce results as good
oooooooI wish I could find some shop or person that had some Nash Instant Action Liver And Garlic I could buy

Frolicks dog biscuits for barbel and carp. All that time and money pet food manufacturers put into making their products appetising makes the research of bait companies look like amateurs.

Is it a confidence thing?
I have a very small supply of Teme Severn Liver & Lamprey dumbbells and when the chips are down they are my 'magic' bait.
Or did i just put the bait in the right place that cast?
Of late for me the magic bait has been plain old castors/ hemp.

Cotswold baits,chilli garlic sausage 8mm pellets, friend found them in the range some years ago,unfortunately cant get hold of them anymore, got enough left for hook bait for a few more seasons i think,dont know what i will use after that🤔

.....there's a theme going here : A/. garlic B/. pork/liver/smoked ham (Active 8) and C/. 'spice' (chilli/black pepper).

Maybe, just maybe, flavoured luncheon meat might catch a barbel or two? 🙃
Won’t catch on Terry 🤣🤣

Is it a confidence thing?
I have a very small supply of Teme Severn Liver & Lamprey dumbbells and when the chips are down they are my 'magic' bait.
Or did i just put the bait in the right place that cast?
Of late for me the magic bait has been plain old castors/ hemp.
Absolutely Paul. I think The best baits around past and present are the baits you catch on confidently back then and now.

I have some of the TS lamprey 'squabs'?? I'm not sure what you would call them - like pillows? And some Crustacean ones. Not yet used them.
I know there is a bit of hassle and cost involved with castor but I've found that if I get my tackle shop to vacuum seal them in 1 pint packs, keep them wrapped up so no light gets to them and in the fridge , they'll last 2-3 weeks possibly longer. I've stopped doing my own hemp, just too easy to buy it pre-done in similar polythene packs. I'm not one who uses a gallon in a session, 1 pint of each is normally plenty for me for a session.
Anything that's left I freeze and it goes in as feeder mix next trip. So providing I do a bit of planning I have the convenience of pellets but whilst the river is still low and clear, the perfect bait IMHO.

Mainline Active Maple 8, best Barbel bait bar none for me. Boillie in the summer, paste form in the winter.

When they stopped making it, I emailed them suggesting that they relaunch it as Barbel 8!
Brilliant bait.

I now only use a Maple flavour for my winter Chub bait and not for barbel for some reason.

Hi men,

I had a large amount of the original Teme Severn Crustacean pellet hookbaits , we worked our way through them being frugal 😂 , but they were our banker .

Hatter

Back