• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bait screws?

Steve Sorrell

Hi all,
After losing yet another hair needle this week, I'm thinking of trying bait screws rather than a conventional hair. Having never used them before, I'm after opinions on pros and cons.
Will be using them for boilies, most likely mounting the screw on the hook shank via a couple of hook beads.
TIA
Steve

I’ve just started mucking about with them.

Primarily because my eyes are deteriorating and make threading hairs/hair stops a bit tricky once it gets dark…….

Ano option would be some form of bait spike on a very short hair.

I have been using bayonets, bait screws and bait pins for several months now.

Like many I am getting on a bit, eyesight limitations make boilie stops a nightmare!

Also, some small boilies can be a little soft and split easily. I found these Ultimate bait spikes recently and have had several fish using them already, they are fine wire but get a good grip on the softer boilies....

I use the stay put hair riggers, available on the 'Bay. Someone on here put me onto them several years ago. I've tried all other screws, stops and clips, and the traditional bit of grass (which never worked for me) and none of them come close.

Personally don't trust them especially with softer baits - ie. big chucks / faster flows . . .are you sure they're attached and you're actually fishing?
Maybe dense readymade boilies (if you use them) but otherwise no thanks . . .

I know we are in the game of sticking sharp things in to fishes mouths but do we really need to use these ? Try Stonfo bait holders , like an elastic hair but without the fiddling about tying them on

I have been using these bait pins and screws for a little while and find them easy to use, a lot less fiddly than hairs and baitstops with cold hands. These are Taska brand.
20220215_110525.jpg

I know we are in the game of sticking sharp things in to fishes mouths but do we really need to use these ? Try Stonfo bait holders , like an elastic hair but without the fiddling about tying them on
Where do you get yours mike,had a look online but either out of stock or expensive delivery from abroad

I tried the Stonfo ones and found that they were okay with Spam but didn't work at all with the less firm/crumblier meats.

I use a rig ring, with the Gardner pellet bands through footed. Makes the size if bait irrelevant. Finish off with a stop.

Back