• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BAA 16lbe? ?

When I was a keen carper in my teens there was an older guy in my club who was know as "Bull**** Dave." He's was actually a very good fisherman and caught a lot of big carp, I saw him catch a couple but he couldn't help himself and he'd add weight to fish and make up catches.

Earlier this year I was walking along the bank of the river that the same club I had come back to after thirty years owns the rights to when someone who was walking his dog stopped me and we got talking about the waters the club owns. When started telling me about how he used the fish the hardest water back then and how easy he found it, and some of the fish he pulled out, I recognized Dave. Still seemed like a nice guy, but still full of it after all these years

Ha! I remember a similar guy in a club I used to be in, I told him once about a nice pool I found while out on my bike. Next time I saw him he was all over me, thanking me for telling him about this pool, said he knocked on a random house and they let him fish it. He was pulling in big carp all day long apparently!
Anyway, the pool is now one of Rob Hayles waters, which now does contain big carp. However, this was before he got hold of it and when he did they netted it and found nothing but small rudd and perch!

I remember being sat on the W Avon a few summers ago. I heard a heavy panting approaching. When I turned I saw an obese 50 year old stating he had hoped to fish the peg I was in. After this he went on to tell me his captures over the last 7 days including one memorable session that included a 15lb barbel, a 7lb chub and a 30lb pike!!! Fortunately, he buggered off once he got his breath back.

In my carping days, I fished one particular small water for several years, just loved the place. It had stunning Leney carp in it, wonderful old warriors with history. These were the type of fish that my all time favourite carp angler Terry Hearn loved and sought out, and he did a brilliant piece in his book 'In Search Of The Largest', relating his time there after the big old girls who called it home.

This type of fishing is not for everyone I know, because most of the fish were named...but they were loved, respected and looked after by the lads who did fish there...and as a result the weights of these fish were pretty well known, give or take a pound or two for seasonal variations, carrying spawn and so on.

The thing is, there were a number of other 'name' anglers who followed Terry to this lake, one in particular who now makes a great living from the hobby...and you would be amazed at how lucky that man was at the astonishing weights the fished reached whenever he caught them....cough.

Don't ya just love fishing :D

Cheers, Dave.

The biggest pile of BS I've ever had the misfortune to listen to happened a couple of years back on the Middle Severn. A guy who was walking the bank stood behind me for half an hour and began to bore me to death with his stories, the finest one being a day at Arley, where he captured 57, yes fifty seven barbel, with ten doubles being amongst those.

As Dave says, dont you just love fishing!

The biggest pile of BS I've ever had the misfortune to listen to happened a couple of years back on the Middle Severn. A guy who was walking the bank stood behind me for half an hour and began to bore me to death with his stories, the finest one being a day at Arley, where he captured 57, yes fifty seven barbel, with ten doubles being amongst those.

As Dave says, dont you just love fishing!

.....and all on my 7ft solid glass spinning rod and 1/2 pint of maggots for bait. Yes, I remember that morning well. Pity I'd gotta be home for lunch:)

I spoke to an angler on the WA a few weeks ago claimed he had just had a 15. Showed me a pic of a possible 8, it then became "about 15", he had no scales. I'm surprised nobody at BAA thought this 16 pounder a bit dubious before publishing the photo.

most clubs dont seem to vet pics submitted. A "big" fish means more members or day tickets. i submitted 1 a while back and was assured it was a known fish of 18 +. It either wasnt the known fish or someone had been telling porkies lol
I also sa a 10lb tench on the same site that was maybe a 5 unless the bloke was the size of the Big Show on WWE. Another time on this site a pic was put up as a new PB of 14-10 i think it was. Known fish never went much above 13 and had been caught 3 days earlier at 11-2 and a week later at 10-11 so somehow it put on 3 lbs and lost 3 lbs in a week. these bloody fad diets.

Just reminded myself of a classic. Guy was playing a monster carp for so long he had to ask his son to take over while he went home for his tea, only to come back after and find his son still playing it! Snapped his 10lb line like cotton in the end.

It's amazing what people believe has no weight. Plenty insist a weigh sling is insignificant.
Funny how my damp sling is around 8oz.

16.12lb my hole. Last year on Arun a member caught a 17lb and so many oz (river record) Was weighed correctly watched by 5 other members. The picture is on their faceBook page somewhere. Anyway, what am saying if that is 16.12lber, I've seen longer and fatter 8 lbsers

16.12lb my hole. Last year on Arun a member caught a 17lb and so many oz (river record) Was weighed correctly watched by 5 other members. The picture is on their faceBook page somewhere. Anyway, what am saying if that is 16.12lber, I've seen longer and fatter 8 lbsers

It is quite obvious the fish is nowhere the stated weight. I am not at all surprised that this was published on the BAA forum though, there seems no input or any sort of editing , interest from the BAA Officials in adding anything to the forum.
I have visited Fladbury a few times this summer, and was put off, OK anglers need to learn, but there seems to be a complete disregard etiquette and fish handling. I am afraid the WA suffers a lot now and often I rather not fish than witness all this.
This is one year I am actually looking forward to the colder days, I have the boots:cool:

It is quite obvious the fish is nowhere the stated weight. I am not at all surprised that this was published on the BAA forum though, there seems no input or any sort of editing , interest from the BAA Officials in adding anything to the forum.
I have visited Fladbury a few times this summer, and was put off, OK anglers need to learn, but there seems to be a complete disregard etiquette and fish handling. I am afraid the WA suffers a lot now and often I rather not fish than witness all this.
This is one year I am actually looking forward to the colder days, I have the boots:cool:

Got the same boots myself Neil......see you there....:D

Just as well he is catching these huge fish as it looks like Fladbury days are numbered, of late a few fish been found on the bank with throats torn and fish being caught with damaged tail lobes :-(

Just as well he is catching these huge fish as it looks like Fladbury days are numbered, of late a few fish been found on the bank with throats torn and fish being caught with damaged tail lobes :-(

Where was this reported Robert? However if there are some deaths as you describe, it does not hopefully, mean the 'End is Nigh' for Fladbury, well I certainly hope not.:eek:

Back