• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are Barbel the "new"carp ?

Being contrary... it could be considered that fishing the bigger rivers such as the Trent, Severn and Thames successfully, using modern tackle and methods, is more 'skillful'. I don't really think that :). However, with fish not easily being located by observation... reading the water (watercraft), 6th sense and building/baiting a swim are skills that are actually required. I don't think it right that one man looks down on another just because of the way that he approaches catching barbel.

Interesting comparison with trout fishing there Terry. I grew up fishing the small mountain streams of west Wales and worm was the principle method of most anglers. But one or two who were highly skilled dry fly fishermen, my brother among them, would out catch the wormers like me every time.

Edward,
I think it is down to excessive weight.
When most carp were in single figures only a tiny minority of anglers sort bigger specimens. Often on private waters putting in many hours in the hope of one take.
When 20 and 30lb carp were everywhere at a price, then loads of "anglers" became carp catchers.
It has only happened with barbel in recent years when big doubles became more likely.
So if we suddenly get 2lb bleak or 10lb crucians, then these will be the target.

I’m hoping sea fishing becoms the new fad. Isn’t that what Chris Yates is doing? He went through carp, barbel, perch and then onto sea fishing didn’t he?

Just think of it. Lines of bivvies just above high water mark on Scarborough south beach. With cars parked directly behind !
Don't all rush at once, it's a big beach.

Do you do any beach fishing Mike ?

TBH I dont think the majority of "Carbellers " would be able to stomach a winter night tide session on an east coast beach, it must be hard enough for them to actually set foot outside their tent, let alone face an onshore blast with ice in the rod rings and also forming on the lines. Moving a tent up and down the beach would be far too much hard work, and just leaving it erected on the high tide mark would pose problems as they would have to follow the tide down to fish . 😂😂
Seeing them negotiate a 30 or 50 foot mud cliff to get to the beach would be worth its weight in gold. As far as Bite alarms are concerned, I am sure they would be lost without setting them up and hearing the continual Beep bloody beep.

I have been an east coast beach and rock angler for more years than I can remember, well over four decades , complete with tripods, brolly, backcasters , I used to use a Tilly lamp, but have moved into the "20th " century with small compact head torch now, I even have Carbon rods, and Shimano reels, in fact, I have a full (rather too full) rod cupboard with carbon Barbel gear , which I use when circumstances dictate.

My OP was making a point of the modern attitudes by many of the "Barbel" scene if you will, it seems that I am not alone in my views, I never mentioned cane, floppy hats, etc , but they inevitably entered the equation with references that were not needed or asked for. It is however good to see what people think of todays Barbel Angling, I myself see it as heading in some ways down the same path as Carp angling did all those years ago. Much has been said on that subject which I need not repeat.

I rest my case .

IMG_0101.PNG

David

TBH I dont think the majority of "Carbellers " would be able to stomach a winter night tide session on an east coast beach, it must be hard enough for them to actually set foot outside their tent, let alone face an onshore blast with ice in the rod rings and also forming on the lines. Moving a tent up and down the beach would be far too much hard work, and just leaving it erected on the high tide mark would pose problems as they would have to follow the tide down to fish . 😂😂
Seeing them negotiate a 30 or 50 foot mud cliff to get to the beach would be worth its weight in gold. As far as Bite alarms are concerned, I am sure they would be lost without setting them up and hearing the continual Beep bloody beep.

I have been an east coast beach and rock angler for more years than I can remember, well over four decades , complete with tripods, brolly, backcasters , I used to use a Tilly lamp, but have moved into the "20th " century with small compact head torch now, I even have Carbon rods, and Shimano reels, in fact, I have a full (rather too full) rod cupboard with carbon Barbel gear , which I use when circumstances dictate.

My OP was making a point of the modern attitudes by many of the "Barbel" scene if you will, it seems that I am not alone in my views, I never mentioned cane, floppy hats, etc , but they inevitably entered the equation with references that were not needed or asked for. It is however good to see what people think of todays Barbel Angling, I myself see it as heading in some ways down the same path as Carp angling did all those years ago. Much has been said on that subject which I need not repeat.

I rest my case .

View attachment 11495

David
From one end of the scale, to the other... less fish too.
106CB8D7-D281-4436-8ABA-3D30891A754E.jpeg

We can only hope David, that the number of blanks sees most of them heading back to an easy carp water by the end of the summer. Fortunately you cannot restock a river with 10lb barbel in the same way you can restock a pond with 20lb carp.
Fishing Yorkshire rivers a double figure fish is a cracking achievement, one I have not yet quite attained (9.13 ). But I am happy to blank frequently and get a nice fish occasionally.
I have never been a sea angler. I have sometimes fished an estuary when on holiday, but that has always been on a sunny, summer afternoon.

I rest my case .

View attachment 11495

David
My god that looks horrendous :(

I rest my case .

View attachment 11495

David
I fish just a few miles from where this picture was taken and only see the occasional other angler. No bivvies allowed and many more fish to be caught!
If I turn up and there are two cars in the car park I go elsewhere.

I rest my case .

View attachment 11495

David
This is also the Trent last july ..... 2 miles all to myself ..... ive also added a pic of my tripod just for you...... top carbeling
3EABEBC2-0722-4082-AA17-44750875DA72.jpeg
3EABEBC2-0722-4082-AA17-44750875DA72.jpeg
26AA76EE-FCBD-4082-98AC-9855CC98D7FD.jpeg
CE1CB4B0-F775-4833-B5D4-25C37A555154.jpeg

I fish just a few miles from where this picture was taken and only see the occasional other angler. No bivvies allowed and many more fish to be caught!
If I turn up and there are two cars in the car park I go elsewhere.

You are indeed fortunate Ian. I would give my carbon rods up for that kind of venue ;).

David

I spend as much time looking for fish as I do fishing. We have been away for a few days and I took the opportunity to do some fish spotting away from the beaten track. Carp are widespread in the local rivers and fish of over 40lb are not unknown. I came across a pod of around 20 fish, at least five in the 30lb class and one that looked every inch a forty. I wouldn't be surprised if they have ever seen a hook.

I managed to get them to take a few maize pellets but hadn't got the tackle to deal with fish of that size.

Loving this thread, some interesting views and opinions, and my turn to give my spin on things.

I grew up with fishing, we used to go to the Hampshire Avon every year for a week on a fishing holiday. We stayed with a couple called Keith and berol. Out of my brothers I was the one who was keenest, so Keith invited me to go fishing with him for the day. I witnessed a traditionalist barbel angler catch a 7lb barbel, I remember the sound of the centrepin, for the first time and that memory will stay with me for ever. He was a legend on the Christchurch angling club ticket. I then started messing about with float fishing for tench and crucians in small ponds and gravel pits, by design, through what I had seen in books and stuff. I had great pleasure in beating the late Keith speers to the best tench swim on the lake, another man I learned a great deal off. He used to use the term “pond pigs” referring to carp. It used to make me laugh. I then moved over to bivvies and buzzer style angling. It was great in the 90’s, there was an element of mystery to some places, a journey into the unknown. Unfortunately that has gone now and it’s just a massive egotistical competition and a tackle fetish like owning designer clothes. The actual “fishing “ is second best, I see people more excited about setting up a new bivvie than catching a fish.
Sorry to harp on, I find the magic of river fishing unbeatable, and it would be a massive shame if barbel angling became like carp angling. I’m not a traditional barbel angler, but I appreciate massively what that is, but I also think fishing has come a long long way, mostly for the good. I also think that traditional methods mixed with modern tackle is a win win, but the scenes on the Trent are somewhat disheartening. Hopefully the carbeling gang catch their double, show their friends and groups and piss off back to the pond pig fishing.

Back