• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Are Barbel the "new"carp ?

It’s called progression or shall we go back to using cat gut and wearing deerstalkers and lets not forget knotted mesh Landing nets unless you prefer to use a gaff
Yes, the good old days of fishing paste baits for carp (or barbel or tench) not knowing whether or not your bait after a long cast/being amongst non-target fish was still on the hook.

My local river seriously declined very abruptly about 14 years ago. That was down to predation of the mammilian, avian and human kind.

It’s called progression or shall we go back to using cat gut and wearing deerstalkers and lets not forget knotted mesh Landing nets unless you prefer to use a gaff
Progression? Your kidding, not when catching at all costs and piling in gallons of bait, spending hours on the bank in Bivvys, and alarmed up to even catch when you kip. That has bound to be a detrimental effect on stocks...this place used to have a large element of those that put barbel welfare first, not so sure if that is the case now, yes very much the new carp.
Progression or Regression?
The latter I fear.

Progression? Your kidding, not when catching at all costs and piling in gallons of bait, spending hours on the bank in Bivvys, and alarmed up to even catch when you kip. That has bound to be a detrimental effect on stocks...this place used to have a large element of those that put barbel welfare first, not so sure if that is the case now, yes very much the new carp.
The latter I fear.

Speaks the man who couldn't exercise enough self control not to fish for barbel in an extreme heatwave, when the advice being given from all quarters was not to go fishing so as not to jeopardise the welfare of the fish. 😂

The latter I fear.
How does sleeping in a bivvy have a detrimental effect on stocks .... they are not getting in the sleeping bag with you..... It’s just a shelter ...does it really matter if your sleeping 2 ft from your rods...

I personally find I get a bit of eye strain trotting for barbel at 1am in the morning

it could be said that fishing for double figure barbel with cane rods is questionable
I take it you use monofilament line ....modern hooks/leads/beads/baits

you would probably have a heart attack if you saw me putting my baited rig under trees with a baiting spoon/pole

How does sleeping in a bivvy have a detrimental effect on stocks .... they are not getting in the sleeping bag with you..... It’s just a shelter ...does it really matter if your sleeping 2 ft from your rods...

I personally find I get a bit of eye strain trotting for barbel at 1am in the morning

it could be said that fishing for double figure barbel with cane rods is questionable

you would probably have a heart attack if you saw me putting my baited rig under trees with a baiting spoon/pole

Pressure, have you not seen the news this week regarding crowded waterways effecting wildlife? But are you seriously saying a network of lines and a ton of feed 24/7 helps? Fishing with antique tackle may not be the most efficient tackle, but the sentiment from the Angler that uses it is far better for the welfare of our Rivers, in my opinion.

Speaks the man who couldn't exercise enough self control not to fish for barbel in an extreme heatwave, when the advice being given from all quarters was not to go fishing so as not to jeopardise the welfare of the fish. 😂
Not once was the welfare of the fish jepordised, it was a weir system,an oxygen bath if you like. Go figure.

Pressure, have you not seen the news this week regarding crowded waterways effecting wildlife? But are you seriously saying a network of lines and a ton of feed 24/7 helps? Fishing with antique tackle may not be the most efficient tackle, but the sentiment from the Angler that uses it is far better for the welfare of our Rivers, in my opinion.
Behave yourself ....lots of lines in the water will just move the fish on ..have you not read the river reports for the Trent nothing is coming out
are you actually saying that because somone uses a rod that is better suited for growing runner beans up they care about fish and river welfare more than someone who owns some buzzers and a bivvy ?......if you are you are seriously grasping at straws
no wonder it’s hard to get youngsters to go fishing if your advocating them using floppy bits of wood and wearing floppy hats and pretending it’s the 1950,s

Last edited:
Not once was the welfare of the fish jepordised, it was a weir system,an oxygen bath if you like. Go figure.

I think of weir pools as places where fish are likely to be seeking sanctuary from low oxygen levels during extreme heatwaves...and by fishing for them you run the risk of pushing them out...

And what if everyone did the same?

Personally I was very heartened to note the restraint that the vast majority of anglers employed in the summer of 2018.

It's all Dick Walkers fault , inventing electric bite alarms and Arlesey bombs , not to mention having a leading hand in the development of Carbon fibre rods , hes got a lot to answer for that Walker . I like fishing with traditional tackle where appropriate, but am no luddite ; I will whip out my shimano and Harrison rods when its pushing through a bit , dont want me MK1V getting a permanent set . The one thing that does make me cring a bit is that fishing is sometimes sold in very aggressive almost warlike terms , and its not a modern thing , remember Armalite rods , please ! A lot of baits / tackle are sold as weapons of war , just look through any tackle shop display and you will see what I mean . While I am on , I hate people calling small barbel ' splashers ' as if they were some lesser creature , and when someone says a water has ;' done ' a 16 or whatever weight barbel it all seems a little base .I think the explosion in carp angling has somewhat brutalised the so called gentle art and it is creeping in to Barbel fishing now , I don't even like seeing rods stuck in the air on tripods , it just doesn't look right . I will now get me coat and go riddle me gentles .....

It's all Dick Walkers fault , inventing electric bite alarms and Arlesey bombs , not to mention having a leading hand in the development of Carbon fibre rods , hes got a lot to answer for that Walker . I like fishing with traditional tackle where appropriate, but am no luddite ; I will whip out my shimano and Harrison rods when its pushing through a bit , dont want me MK1V getting a permanent set . The one thing that does make me cring a bit is that fishing is sometimes sold in very aggressive almost warlike terms , and its not a modern thing , remember Armalite rods , please ! A lot of baits / tackle are sold as weapons of war , just look through any tackle shop display and you will see what I mean . While I am on , I hate people calling small barbel ' splashers ' as if they were some lesser creature , and when someone says a water has ;' done ' a 16 or whatever weight barbel it all seems a little base .I think the explosion in carp angling has somewhat brutalised the so called gentle art and it is creeping in to Barbel fishing now , I don't even like seeing rods stuck in the air on tripods , it just doesn't look right . I will now get me coat and go riddle me gentles .....
Not to mention dick Walker (god forbid) camping in a tent at redmire......as for tripods I don’t particularly like using one but they do serve a purpose on big rivers like the Trent......you have to adapt your tackle to the conditions/river you are fishing because I know for a fact I couldn’t even reach the middle of the Trent using my match aerial......talking of traditional...Kelly kettles what the bloody hell are they all about

Not to mention dick Walker (god forbid) camping in a tent at redmire......as for tripods I don’t particularly like using one but they do serve a purpose on big rivers like the Trent......you have to adapt your tackle to the conditions/river you are fishing because I know for a fact I couldn’t even reach the middle of the Trent using my match aerial......talking of traditional...Kelly kettles what the bloody hell are they all about
Yes ruddy Walker , bivvies as well, he always used to claim that he and Peter stone never actually truly fell asleep when fishing , perhaps they took speed as well ! . Terry you need to brush up on your wallis casting [ I'm crap at it] , I know a chap who can cast unfeasibly large distances with a centre pin , it really is poetry in motion . Kelly Kettles are ace , they appeal to the boy in us all , who can resist messing about with sticks and fire , it's like the bloke thing of being in charge of the barbecue ! I once had a bet with a fellow angler that I could boil half a pint of water in a kelly kettle quicker than he could boil the same amount on a gas canister stove I won hands down . If you can get them going quickly they can boil your water very rapidly a brilliantly simple bit of kit . However they are bulky , smelly and a sod to light when it's windy , but that's not the point

I hate people calling small barbel ' splashers ' as if they were some lesser creature...

Completely agree Mike - I guess familiarity can breed contempt. I recently spotted comments on a carp forum about 40+lb carp being the only ones worth bothering about.

Completely agree Mike - I guess familiarity can breed contempt. I recently spotted comments on a carp forum about 40+lb carp being the only ones worth bothering about.

I think a lot of that, conscious or unconscious is about peacocking. “I only weigh Chub over 7lb” the angler that less than a minute into your chat starts telling you how many “double I caught last year” etc etc it’s all the same. People don’t always even do it intentionally, some of corse, do...

This thread has tended, as must threads do, to go to the extremes of the topic, with Neil commenting on tons of bait 24/7 and lines criss-crossing the river everywhere, and others, myself included, going back to the cane rod/centre pin approach. As with most things the answer, if that's the right word, lies somewhere in the middle. The usual wide variety of views and I think most of us know that all methods, used responsibly, and with consideration for all, are perfectly acceptable if that's how the angler wishes to fish. I am currently fishing a small carp pool where I use a running lead or float and one rod. But next time I go I'm taking one of my new Delkims, purely because I want to hear it go off! So that will probably mean a blank..:)

Excellent post ... IMHO.

IMO it all comes down to 'style or substance', and what you truly want from your fishing... no 'right', no 'wrong', it's about what's important to you. I believe the 'debate' here could be compare to the clash of styles between 'upstream dry fly' and 'worming'. The latter will very often produce more, for the novice or seasoned expert as much less skill is involved. The latter style is a great leveler. But there's more beauty in one and more 'brutality' in the other (to alliterate). Personally I don't really enjoy engaging in 'chuck and chance it' fishing, but at times that's all you can do.

I'm more than happy having a 'perfect blank' : if I know I've fished well, stuck to my plan, not been lazy, fished where I wanted to fish, stuck at it session after session, not fished where I know I can catch smaller fish, seemingly done everything in my power to catch that which I pursue ... but not had a touch. So be it.
Each to there own, and to thine own self be true. It's a pastime, and how one person prefers to pass their time may differ from the other(s).

Back