• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anything better than skee-tex boots?

Jamie Armitage

Thinking of keeping my feet warm this winter and was looking to buy some skee-tex boots. Is there anything better on the market?
The things that put me off them is there cut low and walking looks hard work!!!
Anybodys advice and thoughts on winter boots??

cheers jamie

I gave up on them due to the walking issue - and lethal on frozen sloping banks - frozen concrete boat ramp - just dont !
For last 4 winters I've used neoprene wellies and won't go back .
Buy oversize and wear extra and good socks , take a spare pair of socks if long session as any moisture chills tootsies fast .
They aren't as good as ski-tex for warmth - but the ability to walk is rather important .
Best pair I had was the first - Buckbootz - seriously good but difficult to find ?
Am currently wearing Verney-Carrons and they are a better fit for my wide feet - though on 3rd pair inside 6 months due to faults - but bought locally and shop has replaced without quibble { benefit of local shopping } .
Both brands have produced a satisfying smile when putting on and they are so comfortable .
Best feeling ever on a cold night is pouring hot water from kettle on feet - well - apart from hooking a fish that is .

Have a look at the Columbia Bugaboot Omni Heat. I bought them after a recommendation on here, as I didn't want a wellie type boot and they have been perfect for me. Toastie warm tootsies!

Last winter I managed to find a pair of Sorel Caribou boots at a knockdown sale price. I took a punt with fishing specifically in mind. I hate cold feet but rarely wade in any way so wellies aren't absolutely necessary. I did wonder if they'd be a bit of a pain to walk any distance in but can confirm that isn't the case. I've walked miles in them when beating and fishing. I'm very happy with my purchase and don't suffer with cold feet any more. The only slight niggle I have with them is that they are poor on ice. However, not many rubber soled boots are.

TF Gear Extreme Boots are really good. Keep my feet really warm, even in snow when beating/fishing. Alternatively "welly-wise" I've found muck boots to be really good as well, but perhaps not as comfy walking long distances as the TFG boots....

Had these for about 5 years and still going strong...Very comfy and warm in winter.
Muckboot AVON Camo Wellington Boots (Muckboots) Comfort range of 70°F to -20°F
These 100% waterproof products are made with Breathable Airmesh™ lining and CR-grade foam for additional comfort.
The Avon is the finest waterproof sport boot in its class. Perfect for camping, hunting, and fishing.
• Breathable Airmesh™ lining
• Genuine Realtree™ Camo Pattern
• CR flex-foam bootie (5mm) with four-way stretch nylon, snag-resistant cover is 100% waterproof, lightweight, flexible, buoyant, and will form to virtually any calf girth
• Seamless "quick-clean" footbase overlay
• Added toe protection with a wrap-up toe bumper
• Shank reinforcement for added support
• 10mm kick rim and spur catch for hands-free removal
• Outsole wraps the entire perimeter to provide maximum protection and stability on steep terrain
• Additional achilles overlay for added protection
• Stretch-fit topline binding snugs calf to keep warmth in and cold out
• Comfort range of 70° F to -20° F

http://www.davistackle.co.uk/home?p...e=flypage.tpl&product_id=1009&category_id=103

Last edited:
Ray

I purchased a pair of baffin wellies a few weeks back and have to say they are the warmest comfyest things I have ever put on my feet !

Canadian mounties use them and keep your feet warm to -60deg, decent grip aswell.

It's like fishing in warm slippers ! :D

TRAPPER -60 PLN M

£130 for a pair of wellies?:eek:

Mind you they have a nice camou liner that makes them pretty much more acceptable I guess,:rolleyes: But for sheer luxury I would rather have my shag pile carpet sample which rolls up neatly inside my unhooking mat!!:)

Back