• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone had any scary/paranormal experiences on the bank?

Connor Smith

Just for a bit of fun guys and Halloweens only around the corner. I've always liked listening to spooky/ghost tales, even though I'm not a believer myself I've always found some of the story's interesting. So... has anyone had any weird/spooky experiences on the bank?

Fished a few places I haven’t felt comfortable the members stretch at kings weir can be a bit spooky after dark

I found Loch Naw a little spooky on a trip there not long after the place first came onto the radar for it's big roach. I stayed on for an extra couple of nights after my pals headed home, so had the Loch to myself.

On the second night fishing into the first few hours of darkness I had just the uneasy feeling of being watched. The hairs on the back of neck suddenly standing up. And the realisation that the night just felt too quiet...no owls, no vixens barking, no rustling of small mammals or deer in the woods. No noise, nothing. Just a deathly silence. I couldn't relax and went to put my radio on to listen to the football and it wouldn't switch on. Despite previously working fine that morning.

Ended up winding the rods in and heading back to the lodge at about 9pm. Even walking back through the woods didn't flush any roosting rooks or pigeons which had happened every night previous. Just total silence. Weird.

And the radio switched on first time when I went back to my swim in the morning...

Agreed the member's section below Kings Weir really does have an atmosphere, the last season I was on there it just really freaked me out and I've no idea why, to the point I was head down and almost running to unlock and get through that gate one evening.

The only real spooky occurrence I've had on the bank was back when the Ouse was in it's prime and my old fishing buddy and I had access to a private stretch of river, below and opposite a very popular stretch. Anyway, we were camped out pretty much next to each other, around midnight and I said I'd go and have an hour up on the shallows about 100 yards upstream, so I took the rod, net and bucket of bait. Swung out the rig and stood there behind the rod. Ten minutes or so later I just felt this really weird presence behind me, I turned round to see this hooded figure, all in black with the most terrifying fanged skeleton face just stood there staring at me. Instinctively - and this is the only time in my life I've been violent - I launched a strong right hook and down the figure went. Although we both laughed a lot afterwards it was the first and only time my friend took a Halloween mask fishing!

Agreed the member's section below Kings Weir really does have an atmosphere, the last season I was on there it just really freaked me out and I've no idea why, to the point I was head down and almost running to unlock and get through that gate one evening.

The only real spooky occurrence I've had on the bank was back when the Ouse was in it's prime and my old fishing buddy and I had access to a private stretch of river, below and opposite a very popular stretch. Anyway, we were camped out pretty much next to each other, around midnight and I said I'd go and have an hour up on the shallows about 100 yards upstream, so I took the rod, net and bucket of bait. Swung out the rig and stood there behind the rod. Ten minutes or so later I just felt this really weird presence behind me, I turned round to see this hooded figure, all in black with the most terrifying fanged skeleton face just stood there staring at me. Instinctively - and this is the only time in my life I've been violent - I launched a strong right hook and down the figure went. Although we both laughed a lot afterwards it was the first and only time my friend took a Halloween mask fishing!
Exactly the experience I had Dan can’t put your finger on it but something felt sinister about it

I know a couple of people who had weird experiences on withy pool though one was the bivvy shaking violently in the middle of a calm still night
the other was a mate who woke in the middle of the night and he said it felt like someone was kneeling on his chest and he couldn’t get up

i remember many years ago probably mid 80,s I went in the close season to have a walk round the blue lagoon in arlesy it was around midday and it was sunny and warm I parked up and walked across the field to the lake which is a very large gravel pit I got about 50 yards down the bank and had a weird oppressive feeling and felt like I had to leave can’t explain it but just didn’t want to be there so left immediately

Around 5 years ago a mate and myself were fishing the entrance to farndon marina on the Trent for zander. It got dark and around 9pm he came over to me and asked what did she want….He said a woman had been at the side of me in just a white dress and it looked like she had been saying something then walked away. I’d had no one at the side of me nor heard anyone speak at all, looking around there was no sign of anyone walking away.

I know a couple of people who had weird experiences on withy pool though one was the bivvy shaking violently in the middle of a calm still night
the other was a mate who woke in the middle of the night and he said it felt like someone was kneeling on his chest and he couldn’t get up

i remember many years ago probably mid 80,s I went in the close season to have a walk round the blue lagoon in arlesy it was around midday and it was sunny and warm I parked up and walked across the field to the lake which is a very large gravel pit I got about 50 yards down the bank and had a weird oppressive feeling and felt like I had to leave can’t explain it but just didn’t want to be there so left immediately
That feeling of someone kneeling on one's chest at night is a classic symptom of sleep paralysis, which may also account for strange noises being heard. Science can't explain the cause.

Back