• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone had any scary/paranormal experiences on the bank?

Another strange “paranormal “experience I was involved in was many years ago. I was a Police officer for all my working life , one night I was on mobile patrol in the small town of Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire. The following is a true account of an incident that occurred there, but first….
The Rochdale Canal runs through Sowerby Bridge, and on its bank there is a nice pub called the Navigation Inn. The Inn dates from the 15 th Century and was the site of the Moot Hall before it was a Public House, It was It has been the scene of many strange occurrences. I used to frequent the inn on the odd occasion, and even when the pub was full of customers strange things used to happen, the kitchen of the pub was behind the bar and up some steps,amd you could see into the kitchen from the public side of the bar ,the lights were always on in the kitchen, the shelves in the kitchen can be seen from the bar, sometimes even when the kitchen is not being used shadows could be seen flitting across the front of the cupboards and tins of condiments etc would slide along the shelf as if by magic whwn the kitchen has no staff working .

Back to that evening . It was a warm summers night ,At about 0200 am the control room sent us on a “Shout” to the Navigation Inn, the landlord who lived upstairs could hear intruders in the bar area, as we were not too far away we responded , along with another mobile and together we arrived. No lights or two tones, just a quiet approach.
We parked up a short distance away and approached on foot , as we approached we could hear the sound of banging and crashing coming from the bar area, The landlord was leaning out of an upstairs window , he told us that the noises had been going on for a good ten minutes, he was scared to go downstairs to see what was happening.The curtains were drawn in the bar and we could not see inside, the lights inside were off anyway . We seperated and searched the whole of the premises outside, there was no sign of any forced entry and all the bar doors and kitchen access door were locked , the banging noises were getting louder and it was apparent that something was going on in the bar. As everywhere was locked we could not get in, and the landlord refused to come downstairs to let us in as the access was down a staircase next to the bar door.The pub doors were double locked and bolted from the inside so we could not open them from the outside anyway .

Anybody inside would need to get out, so we called for another mobile, when there were six of us coppers outside, we eventually convinces the landlord we could not get in and he had to open up and let us in. He came downstairs armed with a large steak hammer for tenderising meat of all things and let us in, he unlocked the door to the bar area where there were still noises coming out. As we entered everything went quiet. The lights were put on and inside the bar area was in carnage, chairs upturned, tables tipped over A decorative coal scuttle by the fire had been tipped up and lumps of coal were all over the floor, In the kitchen tins and packets of foodstuffs were scattered around and the cutlery drawers were open and cooking utensils thrown around.

We thoroughly searched the whole premises, there was nobody there apart from the landlord himself, he had been upstairs leaning out of the window talking to us when we had heard the noises coming from the downstairs bar area so that discounted any involvement he could have had . We did all notice however that the temperature in the bar was far colder that anywhere else in the pub,

The Landlord was well aware of the pubs reputation and had experiended the odd strange goings on but had never been bothered , this was on a whole new level and he sold on and moved soon afterwards.

We never discovered what had been the cause of the above, but the landlord did say that recently there had been an increase in the sightings of moving shadows in the kitchen , the kitchenware moving along the shelves etc .

So there you have it .

David
Enjoyed that one David 👍🏻

A bit of a personal one this, but here goes.

In late 1999, my Mother passed away in the house my Dad had built as a retirement home for them both. He'd passed away six years earlier. I inherited the house and my wife and I now live there. We had very good next door neighbours, and spent a lot of time in each others company until sadly, Sue passed away last year and her husband downsized and moved away. Sue claimed to be a medium, it ran in the female side of her family, she said. I'm pretty sceptical about things like that and use to rib her about it sometimes.

A few years after my Mother had died, I awoke in the middle of the night with a feeling of someone being in the bedroom. I also thought I could see someone too. If someone had of asked me if I recognised who the person was, I'd have said it was my Mum. I could smell her as well. After checking the whole house for signs of someone being in there, I returned to bed and eventually drifted back off to sleep. The next morning I told my wife about what had happened, but she had not seen nor heard anything.

A few months later we were round next door having a BBQ. Some of their children were there too. One of her boys was also a believer in the afterlife and stuff, and the conversation eventually got round to the supernatural. When out of the blue, Sue just said, "your Mum's still here you know, she hasn't left yet" Now, at no point in any conversation with anyone other than my Wife had I mentioned what had happened that night. My Wife hadn't told anyone about what had happened, so Sue wouldn't have known about it from her. I've never felt anything like someone was in our house since.

I'm loving these recollections of "unexplained events". I've always thought how nice it is to have true mysteries. I don't like the way some people want every odd siting or encounter proved or disproved.
Many years ago I was fortunate enough to fish Loch Ness with a local ghillie. We met at Drumnadrochit and found our way in his small open boat to the bay below Urquhart Castle. I had to ask him "have you seen the monster?"
He had. 4 x times it turned out. The closest encounter was when it's huge grey back surfaced 30' from his boat. Now, let's look at this rationally. Did he ACTUALLY see the monster? Probably not. Did he THINK he saw the monster? Absolutely he did. This is my point, if he thought he saw it, why try and disprove it?
All you guys who have unexplained encounters....believe that you have. Life needs mysteries. Please don't try and prove/disprove this stuff.
One last thing. On my way back from a fishing match one summers evening, I was driving down a remote country lane in rural Norfolk. As it was just getting dark I had my headlights on. As I turned a corner I saw something crossing the lane. It was a big cat, by that I mean a non-domestic big cat. It's tail was very long and if I had seen it in a zoo it wouldn't have looked out of place.
This was my "Loch Ness Monster". I know what I saw. Some people believed me, some mocked me. All I know is, I saw a large black panther-like cat. Do I want it proved? No. I want it to remain a mystery!!

I truly dont believe in ghosts or any of this nonsense the reason ?

Well I reckon I have spent more nights that most alone on the banks often in the middle of nowhere so I would have the perfect opportunity if it existed

I started Carp fishing in the 60s and got completely addicted I used to often fish in the week then go to work the next morning and of course fish every weekend
and in those days I would always be totally alone in fact on one large lake in the coln valley I would fish a week and never see a soul
so
if ever there was a chance I would see something in all the YEARS !! I spent but nothing !
I did see god knows how many shooting stars though used to love laying on my bed and watching the sky
and nighttime wild life love rats I used to love the solitude I have never ever been worried or scared used to hate using lights prefered using my natural night vision
Tell that to the guys who have been scared out of their wits in the Evening Pitch at Redmire. Most people have probably experienced nothing that couldn't be explained, but that doesn't mean inexplicable incidents don't occur.

Alex, I have a Redmire evening pitch weird tale but I will leave that one for another time . Here's a little one that has always mystified ,and, if I was honest troubled me . I do most of my fishing on the Yorkshire Ouse being only 5 minutes drive away . When I was working full time a lot of my fishing was done in the dark as it was the only time I could get to fish for the Barbel . There was one swim in particular which over the years I must have fished 50 + times as it was a banker and I gravitated towards it when time was short . Usually nothing untoward would occur and I would fish away unperturbed listening to the familiar sounds of the night , however on 3 occasions I experienced an overwhelming feeling that I was being watched, this was coupled with a feeling of a weight bearing down on me , not something physically touching me, it was like a huge pressure all around me is the best and only way I can describe it . The weird bit was it wasn't fleeting it didn't go away , it just kept going and got worse and in the end I would gather up my gear and flee !You may ask , well why go back ? It was seriously disturbing but I did go back, I don't know why , and many times nothing happened , I don't fish the spot now . I have spoken to two other anglers who I know and trust and they have had similar experiences in the same swim , particularly the feeling of being watched . Often tales like these have been linked to something bad happening in a particular place or building . I did some research and discovered that in the locality a plane had crashed in WW2 after running out of fuel and sadly some of the crew had drowned , was it linked ? who knows .....

Last edited:
As a teenager. I used to fish the Brandsburton gravel pits in East Yorkshire for the carp. Because of the transport problems at that age (bicycle rides). This mainly involved an overnight session.

The area back then was a lot more rural, and light pollution was minimal. Anyway, one night I was fishing as usual. Half way through the night, in the pitch back, all of a sudden an intermittent metallic light appeared over to the East. It kept flashing. It was quite unsettling and I was mystified as to what it was.

It transpires, that it was the beacon, from a light house near Flamborough Head 🫣.

Last edited:
Back