• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anyone got the Tench rods out yet?

Adam Francis

Been looking at the weather and might have a go for the Tench at the end of the week. Just wondering if it's going to be warm enough just yet or whether we need a little more sunshine.

Anyone been out after tench yet and if so have the fish been feeding?

Had a try last Thursday, enjoyed the change and some warm sunshine, however the tench did not put in an appearance. Hoping that last year's pattern repeats as it was my second trip that produced then, will let you know in two days!

I'm going to give it a few more weeks yet - despite a mild couple of weeks, we've had another cold snap down here in the South West (temp in my neck of the woods - near Bath - was 2 degrees at 6 this morning), which is set to stick around until at least the end of this week, with max day time temps struggling to hit double figures.

In fact, I might even just leave it until May - wait for some weed and pad growth.

Can't wait, though - I concentrated on barbel and pike almost exclusively last season and, in fact, did no stillwater fishing at all.

Not sure I can wait until May to be honest, I'll be going stir crazy by then! I might have a go at the weekend but do think we need a little more consistent warm weather before they really start showing. Thing is, unless you try - you'll never know!

If the perch are anything to go by they could spawn early.

Mid April for me given a few days of mild weather. As in Bath....light frost this morning.

Had a walk round one of the lakes I'll be fishing at lunchtime & my god that wind is cold!! Think I'll hold off until the end of the month, hopefully the conditions will be a bit better, for fish & angler!

My mate managed 3 to 5lb and a 2lb+ Crucian"cross" one morning late last week. That was when the mild spell was still with us.....the morning before he had one bite, was mesmerised by the float going under and made a pigs ear of striking !!

Despite the cold east wind today the tench showed up for me, had 4 in a short (5 hour) session, best one going 6.12 with a backup male of 5.13.

Can anyone help please ? Looking for a day ticket fishery near Fareham in Hampshire where I can take my mate of many, many years. Dave is a very, very occasional dabbler and I will be spending a long weekend with him in early June. I would like to take him after a Tench or two using float tactics. Any suggestions please? I've done a Google search and most that comes up are club Fisheries needing membership.

Went a tenching today and was handsomely rewarded with 9 tench to 5lb also a bonus fully scaled mirror,probably the prettiest fish I've ever seen.

I believe Portsmouth and district have a complex of around 3 lakes not far from Fareham, only one of which is members only. My brother in law has had quite a few there.
One of the Fareham tackle shops should put you right.

Bill. When I was in the RN I fished Funtley lake. Which is just outside Fareham. Its deep with a good head of good Tench. Molehill soil with chopped lobworm. Slider at around 13 ft deep worked for me. Best I could find near Fareha m.

Many thanks Paul & Jon. That narrows my search a bit. Much appreciated :)

Well done Mark a lovely bag of fish, something I'd like to experience with my mate Dave

Not sure if this helps Bill, but as your Fareham friend is just an occasional angler, you may want some reasonably prolific tench fishing and Godalming's Marsh Farm is only 45 minutes away. A nice spot with day tickets, plus good facilities including an excellent tackle shop on site.

Not sure if this helps Bill, but as your Fareham friend is just an occasional angler, you may want some reasonably prolific tench fishing and Godalming's Marsh Farm is only 45 minutes away. A nice spot with day tickets, plus good facilities including an excellent tackle shop on site.

Thanks Rod, Having fished there myself Marsh Farm was my fallback option but as we are likely to be consuming a fair amount of alcohol during the evenings I wanted somewhere "the girls" can drop us off and collect us at the day's end. Thanks anyway:)

Funtley lake.

Bill. When I was in the RN I fished Funtley lake. Which is just outside Fareham. Its deep with a good head of good Tench. Molehill soil with chopped lobworm. Slider at around 13 ft deep worked for me. Best I could find near Fareha m.

Bill as Jon has mentioned Funtley lake is controled by Portsmouth angling club only one tackle shop now in Fareham you can purchase day tickets from Rovers Tackle in the high street parking right opersite the shop. You only need to fish the margin along the reeds. Pub Miners Arms just next to the lake car park Paul in the tackle shop will issue you with a hand book only 5 minutes drive from there.

Enjoy Darrel Hughes.

Many thanks for your advise Darrel.....there are some right diamond geezers on this forum. Than you all :)

Spoke to my sister about the 3 lake complex, no day tickets I'm afraid, one of the lakes is no guest tickets. You'd need to find a member to accompany you.
If you could they've got a brilliant farm pond Crucian fishery, with some nice Tench too. Very shallow, loads of lillies, genuine Crucians.

Back