• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

I was actually feeding some huge chub and monster roach , several of these roach were 3lb , they were taking small pellets on the drop ! I was itching to get the rod out but in the end I would rather wait and spend my time observing rather than fishing.

Fair play to you Craig, your a stronger willed man than me. Hand on heart I can't honestly say I wouldn't have been able to walk away from 3lb river roach feeding on the drop. In fact i'm pretty certain I couldn't!

This is becoming a witch hunt Joe, I have never assumed I know better, but will defend myself, you were not there, I was ,yet you are campaigning on here that I was fishing in a manner that was not acceptable to you . Odd isn't it that you started the ball rolling, I can assure you I have been fishing that stretch before I met you and your idea that you had exclusive fishing rights.
You know the nature of the stretch, you say when the main river is low it fishes well. You know that the levels and oxygen levels are good, so what is your real problem Joe?
Your constant berating is getting tiresome now, it must grate on others too, so this will be my last post for everyone's sanity. Shame such a fantastic fish cannot be celebrated without all this what I assume is just a bit tinged with envy.

Sorry, have I missed something? whats this all about?!

This is becoming a witch hunt Joe, I have never assumed I know better, but will defend myself, you were not there, I was ,yet you are campaigning on here that I was fishing in a manner that was not acceptable to you . Odd isn't it that you started the ball rolling, I can assure you I have been fishing that stretch before I met you and your idea that you had exclusive fishing rights.
You know the nature of the stretch, you say when the main river is low it fishes well. You know that the levels and oxygen levels are good, so what is your real problem Joe?
Your constant berating is getting tiresome now, it must grate on others too, so this will be my last post for everyone's sanity. Shame such a fantastic fish cannot be celebrated without all this what I assume is just a bit tinged with envy.

Neil I think you should get your facts straight . Assuming we are talking about the same stretch ? I think you will find it was me who told you about the stretch and no I don't have exclusive rights to that particular stretch . Cast your memory back years ago when we first met at BS meeting at Tewkesbury
and we became friends and it was me who told you some time later about that particular swim . Assuming we are talking about the same swim ? and yes I told you that it fishes better when its at its normal summer level . The point being Neil with the prolonged heat wave we have been having with the low water levels and the lack of dissolved oxygen in the water and the advice given by the EA not to fish for Barbel . Because of your stubbornness you showed a total disregard for the advice given

I think Neil the general feeling on here is to stop fishing for Barbel . I am sorry if you think that this is a witch hunt against you I can assure you it is not . I like a lot of other people who fish for Barbel are concerned about the welfare of fishing for Barbel in these present conditions .

What's that all about Jason? How has anyone disgraced themselves or lectured you. And re. "who gives us the all clear to start again" .. well it's up to the individual's conscience, surely. No one's stopped you fishing for barbel have they. You do what you think is right (except on fisheries that are closed). Each to their own.

Terry, its a tongue in cheek comment in light of Neil's non barbel fishing trip to a Warwickshire Avon tributary after dark fishing with pellets, then weighing and photographing a 13lber(surprise barbel when chub fishing) and then as the cheek to post a pic on the river thread seeking approval with a slight apology about feeling dirty :eek:

myself I was looking to Neil to follow his own advice and guide the way for us all to give us the all clear to go barbel fishing again... but temptation got the better of him...he must feel filthy the poor chap.

its only a light hearted dig at him, but don't you just love the irony of it all.....:D:D:D:D

Neil's previous advice in these current conditions.....

"Really? If we on here especially on here can't show a bit of restraint in these conditions who will? Utterly selfish , and for the sake of just waiting until the Barbel have recovered after spawning, plus the poor O2 levels I cannot think that any angler that carries on fishing can do so with a clear conscience. Seen too many belly up Barbel in the past in conditions that were much better than these."

"Not really about money is it Graham? If we continue in this vein of putting our own needs fist of the welfare of the Barbel then I fear that in the long run we will pay for it by ever diminishing stocks. I cannot for the life of me consider it is OK to fish for Barbel in such conditions, and anyone who condones it is kidding themselves.
You would think after all the hand wringing and despair caused by the Otter that we the Angler can actually be culpable of killing the very thing we hold in such high regard is very sad.
If we the cannot set an example then who will?"

Hi men,

Joe and Neil , your getting plain greedy having dicussions on two threads ;) , try to keep it to one so at least the mods can follow the "he said - he said " posts , and if you are friends bloody phone each other :p . Rain in the air , and what do they say , it clears it ! , so it cant come soon enough .

Hatter

Play nice guys or don't play at all !!

Heed the warning, it's far too hot to bother to respond properly, and be aware that in this heat and having given up fishing for the forseeable future, we might not think too hard before pressing certain buttons :p

Hi men,

Joe and Neil , your getting plain greedy having dicussions on two threads ;) , try to keep it to one so at least the mods can follow the "he said - he said " posts , and if you are friends bloody phone each other :p . Rain in the air , and what do they say , it clears it ! , so it cant come soon enough .

Hatter
Bloody troublemaker, Hat!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Jason ... only just seen WAvon thread so now know what all the fuss is about. All I can say is "Wow!", otherwise words fail me.

Neil I think you should get your facts straight . Assuming we are talking about the same stretch ? I think you will find it was me who told you about the stretch and no I don't have exclusive rights to that particular stretch . Cast your memory back years ago when we first met at BS meeting at Tewkesbury
and we became friends and it was me who told you some time later about that particular swim . Assuming we are talking about the same swim ? and yes I told you that it fishes better when its at its normal summer level . The point being Neil with the prolonged heat wave we have been having with the low water levels and the lack of dissolved oxygen in the water and the advice given by the EA not to fish for Barbel . Because of your stubbornness you showed a total disregard for the advice given

I think Neil the general feeling on here is to stop fishing for Barbel . I am sorry if you think that this is a witch hunt against you I can assure you it is not . I like a lot of other people who fish for Barbel are concerned about the welfare of fishing for Barbel in these present conditions .

Nothing at all wrong with my memory, I fished it with Anthony before I even met up with you Joe in fact as far back as 2005. You seem to be having a moment Joe with selective memory and combined with a attitude of just about telling me everything that I can or cannot do I am really at a loss as to why you are acting this way. The fact that we actually were friends, fishing buddies if you like makes it a lot more worrying. Even if you felt I was wrong, to call me out like you did on this Forum is sort of a weird thing to do...Mates just don't do that in my book.

Well I was 70 yesterday, and tbh this has clouded what was supposed to be a bit of an occasion, I am not perfect, just human, I didn't expect that big old girl to show, it was one of those moments we all have in Angling, it what we do and why we do it. I was was in awe of the fish, such fine condition and she deserved a mention on here, however it soon turned nasty, but the thing is that fish was a gift, you know what I mean, you have flashbacks, the bend in the rod, the fight and the gasp you give at the size laying in the net, that is my memory of the day, not these comments on here.
Don't now how many more of those days I will be allowed, but if I was to hang up my rods tomorrow, I will still have that moment, any Barbel angler will know, i do regret upsetting some, I knew by posting it up I would, but those who do know me would also perhaps know that I care beyond what is sane about fish welfare.
Thanks.

Neil,Joe....I feel I must say something.

Please don't fall out over something so trivial,if you were both mates before,you should remain so. Life's too short and all that.

To put it into perspective,here in Brum people are stealing cars with newborn babies inside,throwing acid in people's faces,stabbings galore,I could go on and on.

I do also think this heat is making people act out of character.......fishing is often used as therapy by ourselves,we're just not getting that release at the moment.

Get it all in perspective as Mark said.

I heard today that a work and fishing mate i have known since 1966 died last week. Although he was 85 I'm sad.

Fishing is so not worth having arguments over.

Nothing at all wrong with my memory, I fished it with Anthony before I even met up with you Joe in fact as far back as 2005. You seem to be having a moment Joe with selective memory and combined with a attitude of just about telling me everything that I can or cannot do I am really at a loss as to why you are acting this way. The fact that we actually were friends, fishing buddies if you like makes it a lot more worrying. Even if you felt I was wrong, to call me out like you did on this Forum is sort of a weird thing to do...Mates just don't do that in my book.

Neil there is nothing wrong with my memory . Let me jog your memory .... You sent me a private message on here many years ago . After I posted a pic on here of a fish I caught from the W/Avon ...In you private message one of he many things you said and I quote '' Care to share '' and I asked you not to tell any one ?
Or have you forgot what you said . Yes it is true you may of already of known the area from which I caught it from . So there is nothing wrong with my memory ... I am not having a moment as you put it . I am sorry you think its weird to call you out .. After all Neil how many people have have you called out in the past on here and fallen out with .... Just like you have done so many times in the past Neil I was voicing my opinion I am sorry if you don't like my opinions . After all Neil this is a free country and this is a Barbel fishing forum and when I see some one showing a total disregard for the advice given Then yes Neil I will call it out regardless who they are .... Perhaps you should read what Bob Roberts a well known and respected angler has said about people fishing in these conditions ?

Neil/Joe... if you're having 'handbags' why not do it via Private Messages? It'd be a bit more civilised, don't you think? You know...airing dirty washing 'n all. Respect to you both. ATVB

Neil there is nothing wrong with my memory . Let me jog your memory .... You sent me a private message on here many years ago . After I posted a pic on here of a fish I caught from the W/Avon ...In you private message one of he many things you said and I quote '' Care to share '' and I asked you not to tell any one ?
Or have you forgot what you said . Yes it is true you may of already of known the area from which I caught it from . So there is nothing wrong with my memory ... I am not having a moment as you put it . I am sorry you think its weird to call you out .. After all Neil how many people have have you called out in the past on here and fallen out with .... Just like you have done so many times in the past Neil I was voicing my opinion I am sorry if you don't like my opinions . After all Neil this is a free country and this is a Barbel fishing forum and when I see some one showing a total disregard for the advice given Then yes Neil I will call it out regardless who they are .... Perhaps you should read what Bob Roberts a well known and respected angler has said about people fishing in these conditions ?
Most of the people you say I have fallen out with on here have been well shown up to be not who they appear to be Joe, the Jeffs if you will. Not labouring the point but I am afraid you have the bit between your teeth on this one, and there are certain areas even now where fishing will be OK, as this was, the weir has at least an 8 foot drop and the weir pool narrows into a small stream, it was perfectly safe to fish. The condition of the fish was testament to that, not the emaciated Barbel that are portrayed on the Wye. It was a veritable oxygen bath, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I agree with Terry on this, can't the moderators remove the posts which are off topic and request the members involved not to post like this on a general forum.

Back