• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

Dissolved oxygen test kits are cheap and readily available for anyone to gain the information for themselves.

A lad I know had a nice Barbel off the dorset Stour and he had to revive it for nearly an hour. you don't need kits to tell you something aint right. The lad in question will not fish for Barbel again until conditions improve..

Well said BR . Many people are too stubborn to admit they're wrong. This is even more emotive than the otter debate.
Mark I know one particular person on here who is too stubborn to admit when they are wrong and think they know better than the rest of us . I think we can all guess who I am talking about ? Perhaps he will take in what has been said . Or maybe he will just keep burying his head in the sand .

Stephen with the greatest respect , you don't need a kit to see the obvious. Fish will feed but that's not the problem.

Of corse you can make an informed decision but you can prove your theory by testing. That way you’ve got weight to your point. The D Stour is virtually running backwards, so like you’d id say it’s not viable currently.

One aspect of all this I find particularly baffling are those organisations clinging to the line “we are continuing to monitor the position daily” like making that statement automatically elevates them to a higher office. Everyone else is running around setting fire to their hair, biting furniture and inviting wasps around for cocktails and canapés- but they, the wise ones, are studiously monitoring and generally being very clever. Imagine how that played out on the Titanic.:

“ but captain, that large white object just ahead of us does look a bit like an iceberg- here, there is a picture of one in my Observer book of big white dangerous things that are not sharks”.

“Stop being such a ladies front bottom. It’s tiny. Let’s just monitor the situation”

“It is tiny on the surface but this book suggests that it might be just the ti.....”

I seriously don’t know what these people are expecting to discover each new day that they start their monitoring rounds”. Hands up all those that believe all will be sorted by the end of August?

Mark I know one particular person on here who is too stubborn to admit when they are wrong and think they know better than the rest of us . I think we can all guess who I am talking about ? Perhaps he will take in what has been said . Or maybe he will just keep burying his head in the sand .

I do hope this isn’t a dig at me. If it is you’ve missed the mark somewhat.

One aspect of all this I find particularly baffling are those organisations clinging to the line “we are continuing to monitor the position daily” like making that statement automatically elevates them to a higher office. Everyone else is running around setting fire to their hair, biting furniture and inviting wasps around for cocktails and canapés- but they, the wise ones, are studiously monitoring and generally being very clever. Imagine how that played out on the Titanic.:

“ but captain, that large white object just ahead of us does look a bit like an iceberg- here, there is a picture of one in my Observer book of big white dangerous things that are not sharks”.

“Stop being such a ladies front bottom. It’s tiny. Let’s just monitor the situation”

“It is tiny on the surface but this book suggests that it might be just the ti.....”

I seriously don’t know what these people are expecting to discover each new day that they start their monitoring rounds”. Hands up all those that believe all will be sorted by the end of August?
Yes Howard like the potential terrorists that are supposedly monitored constantly...."yeah we were monitoring him,then he exploded".....stable door.....horse....bolted.

Of corse you can make an informed decision but you can prove your theory by testing. That way you’ve got weight to your point. The D Stour is virtually running backwards, so like you’d id say it’s not viable currently.

I was actually feeding some huge chub and monster roach , several of these roach were 3lb , they were taking small pellets on the drop ! I was itching to get the rod out but in the end I would rather wait and spend my time observing rather than fishing.

I was actually feeding some huge chub and monster roach , several of these roach were 3lb , they were taking small pellets on the drop ! I was itching to get the rod out but in the end I would rather wait and spend my time observing rather than fishing.
Yeah. I’ve been walking but the banks noting features etc. You on RDAA or CAC?

Yeah. I’ve been walking but the banks noting features etc. You on RDAA or CAC?

RDAA. The fish I spotted were on the free stretch. Cant get to them anyway from the banks , I was watching and feeding off a road bridge . Fantastic to see so many monster Roach. Every now and again a couple of big Barbel came out from under the bridge.

RDAA. The fish I spotted were on the free stretch. Cant get to them anyway from the banks , I was watching and feeding off a road bridge . Fantastic to see so many monster Roach. Every now and again a couple of big Barbel came out from under the bridge.
I’d assume what’s on the other side of that bridge is what’s keeping them there. ;)

I have a question
. what's your thoughts on fishing for other fish in this weather . ? I souly. fish for eels and I want to catch a river 4lber . but feel has if I tried I would get tarnished with the same brush ..

Newsnight had a section on the effect of the weather on water levels tonight. Not in any depth (pun not intended) but they interviewed someone from the EA talking about river and DO levels

This is becoming a witch hunt Joe, I have never assumed I know better, but will defend myself, you were not there, I was ,yet you are campaigning on here that I was fishing in a manner that was not acceptable to you . Odd isn't it that you started the ball rolling, I can assure you I have been fishing that stretch before I met you and your idea that you had exclusive fishing rights.
You know the nature of the stretch, you say when the main river is low it fishes well. You know that the levels and oxygen levels are good, so what is your real problem Joe?
Your constant berating is getting tiresome now, it must grate on others too, so this will be my last post for everyone's sanity. Shame such a fantastic fish cannot be celebrated without all this what I assume is just a bit tinged with envy.

Back