• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

Calm down mock, don't make it personnel....quite a few guys on here barbel fishing I bet.

Are we OK to night fish for them?
Night fishing is the worst time to fish for barbel in these weather conditions, during the hours of darkness sub surface plants actually consume oxygen, with an hour before dawn dissolved Oxygen being at its lowest, during the day and bright sunlight, plants will actually create Oxygen via the process of photosynthesis, during these conditions the rivers also have to suffer from high water temps (25c) higher levels of treated effluent and algae blooms.....all consume oxygen.

Drove back to Ross from Offenham. Roads flooded A46. Said Evesham way.
The thunderstorms were hit or miss.
From M5 to M50 entry junction fairly dry. End of M50 hammering down

Had a walk along the Avon near Stratford yesterday. Had to get out due to boredom at not being able to fish. Happened upon a massive shoal of big bream completely motionless on the surface. Looked like even they were struggling,mind you it's a very sluggish stretch at the best of times. Also noticed a strong smell of effluent,even though no feeder streams nearby.

Woo-hoo!
Screenshot_2018-07-14-09-46-41.png

One of my clubs that have very significant stretches of the Trent, including below Cromwell weir have today issued an advisory note suggesting that members refrain from fishing for Barbel and Chub whilst these conditions continue. I doubt the circus that fish opposite will adopt the same restraint!

I’m not sure this should even be a debate. I’ve not heard anyone suggest that barbel find these conditions pleasant. They also give their all during a fight. Consequently there has to be a risk of death no matter how accomplished the angler or how much care they give in nursing the fish before release. What joy is there in catching a fish you know will take an age to recover and where there remains a risk it will die even if it swims off strongly. Certainly no pleasure in it for me, targeting fish that are undoubtedly vulnerable no matter how experienced or caring we claim to be. The most caring thing you can do is leave them be for the time being.

I’m not sure this should even be a debate. I’ve not heard anyone suggest that barbel find these conditions pleasant. They also give their all during a fight. Consequently there has to be a risk of death no matter how accomplished the angler or how much care they give in nursing the fish before release. What joy is there in catching a fish you know will take an age to recover and where there remains a risk it will die even if it swims off strongly. Certainly no pleasure in it for me, targeting fish that are undoubtedly vulnerable no matter how experienced or caring we claim to be. The most caring thing you can do is leave them be for the time being.
Says it all Howard. ATB

See the graph below, that shows declining Dissolved Oxygen levels on the river Wye in Herefordshire, it shows the lowest levels being around first light/ dawn/early morning, it won't be long, if these conditions continue, we will wake to barbel and other species on other rivers going belly up, so lets not make it worse eh?

Attachments

• received_10214374747075939.jpeg
    received_10214374747075939.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 345
Well not that bloke Doh***y, just posted up pics of 13 Wye Barbel on fb...and endorsing baits....CU..

Just seen the thread. Unbelievable and then he posts this in response to a question about why he feels it necessary to take a picture of each fish caught:

I’m sponsored by 3 company’s so looks good for them seeing there products r working that I’m testing :)) & gets them recognised

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that the same joker that tried to claim a bogus river record?

Seriously makes me want to throw all my kit in the skip when I read s*** like that. Fishing is truly screwed in this country.
That's the one. Check out his 575 roach catch in one keep net.

See the graph below, that shows declining Dissolved Oxygen levels on the river Wye in Herefordshire, it shows the lowest levels being around first light/ dawn/early morning, it won't be long, if these conditions continue, we will wake to barbel and other species on other rivers going belly up, so lets not make it worse eh?

What’s the graph showing I see time then 30-120, is this PPB?
That variation throughout the day is of corse natural driven by the switch of aquatic plants from photosynthesis to respiration.

Isn't that the same joker that tried to claim a bogus river record?

Seriously makes me want to throw all my kit in the skip when I read s*** like that. Fishing is truly screwed in this country.

It would seem a common theme these days, everyone trying desperately to get recognised. The amount of bullsh*t posts; photos of every fish they catch, over explaining of rigs/tackle, sentences like "The reserves of power of the 1.75tc fox rod didn't give an inch as the fish lunged for the inside snag" etc etc.
Morons

Back