• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

Well done Dave, full of surprises. Do you have a reference for cooler weather? What test kit did you use?
Looks like this humidity is going to crack overnight so this may have a positive effect.
Probably a slight margin of error but near enough to register when parameters aren’t what they should be Stephen.
31755AFC-E53E-4A11-8094-58D6A3FECAD4.jpeg

While I agree with some points on here I don’t agree with the holier than thou attitude some people have. I fished Friday evening for a couple of hours and the 2 fish I had were out the water just long enough to get the hook out and both swam off strong. I’d be more concerned about the matches goin on and fish being kept in keepnets.

While I agree with some points on here I don’t agree with the holier than thou attitude some people have. I fished Friday evening for a couple of hours and the 2 fish I had were out the water just long enough to get the hook out and both swam off strong. I’d be more concerned about the matches goin on and fish being kept in keepnets.

Certainly Barbel in match lakes in keepnets would be very vulnerable.

Not “ holier than thou” Jon,... just personal choice,... the OP was asking a question if anyone had stopped fishing ,.. I answered a gave a reason why,...

I think the way to look at it is that it’s good that people are considering fish welfare.
If a club suspends fishing for certain species based upon evidence based scientific data. Then that’s a responsible move.
If some bloke gives you ear ache because the air temperatures are high, without considering the waters composition, well he’s talking out his arse.

I checked DO a couple of hundred yards downstream of a weir on the Stour at 6pm Friday,.. it read 5ppm which is low and also a time of day when I would be expecting it to peak. I stopped targeting barbel last week. They’re still feeding,. but their powers of recovery will be diminished at that reading and I’m not willing to risk having one go belly up on me.
There be other times,... soon I hope but the forecast is for more of the same.
As the river drops and temperatures rise the effluent dilution becomes a factor leading to less DO and more pathogens,.. not a happy state of affairs . Let’s pray for some rain.
I'm surprised that you measured as low as 5ppm. The dissolved oxygen verses temperature equilibrium chart indicates that the D.O. should be higher at current water temps. It could be pollution making the situation worse of course.
Screenshot_20180701-224848.jpg

Went trotting for chub on the Wye today.
Those pesky barbel got hungry after a couple of chub n few dace.

Fought very hard
Especially on size 16 to 3.5 lb on the 14fter.
Went off well.

Steve, put it into context, the focus was on the Teme, which has problems even those who don't fish it such as myself are aware of.

In response to the original post, I believe it's a matter of common sense and choosing your swim and gear accordingly.

A river like the Wye is a whole different kettle of fish to say, the sluggish Warks Avon. I had 2 barbel Saturday evening on the Wye, one was unhooked in the net and rested before being released, the other was rested while I got the weighing stuff sorted, was out of the water no more than 20 seconds and rested again before release. I refrained from taking a pic even though it was a good fish for the Wye (9+).
I chose a swim on the outside of a bend so there was a good flow at my feet and not a few inches of warm water.

I fully understand anyone who wishes to stop ( I did last year - and never started again! ), but I reject any holier-than-thou attitude. If they cared about them so much they wouldn't fish for them at all. Any experienced barbel angler - pretty much everyone here - can choose a swim appropriate to the conditions and use suitable gear.

So no, I won't be stopping fishing. I will however, avoid any swims with slack water in close and ensure every fish ( chub or barbel ) is fully rested and if it's deemed worth weighing is out for less than 30 seconds before being rested again. I never fish in the heat of the day, I don't start until at least 5pm. I will not bother with photographs though - that's just an ego boost that I can live without.
The nature of the Wye means there are oxygen rich, fast flowing stretches to be found everywhere. And I've seen it far lower than it is right now.

I

I'm feeling guilty now after reading this thread. As I've posted inb the forum I have just got back from a 4 day Wye trip. It was my first proper barbel trip for many many years.
It was arranged months ago for my mates 40th and payments made etc. We fished the Wye and only took a few barbel anyway but all were from very fast water and went back fine and after resting. I was pleased how strong and easy they went back same with the chub. I caught my ever barbel in the float a dream come true for me. I can see both sides and especially if its local to you. It was an absolute privilege to catch and see a whiskered friend again. Hopefully conditions will improve very soon cheers Jon

I'm feeling guilty now after reading this thread. As I've posted inb the forum I have just got back from a 4 day Wye trip. It was my first proper barbel trip for many many years.
It was arranged months ago for my mates 40th and payments made etc. We fished the Wye and only took a few barbel anyway but all were from very fast water and went back fine and after resting. I was pleased how strong and easy they went back same with the chub. I caught my ever barbel in the float a dream come true for me. I can see both sides and especially if its local to you. It was an absolute privilege to catch and see a whiskered friend again. Hopefully conditions will improve very soon cheers Jon

Jon, why feel guilty?
If all your fish went back fine, as mine did, then you did nothing wrong.
What are we going to have soon? The temperature police? It may have already started.
Look how many people say they will fish for something else. Are those fish not subject to the same lowered D.O levels and high water temperatures? And fishing lakes is even worse.
But it's ok because it isn't barbel.

I only fish the Wye these days, and any regular Wye angler can tell you the nature of that river. It isn't the Thames, Kennet, B.A etc.

If these people love the barbel so much, why are they trying their best to stick a hunk of metal in their lips?

Fish away and keep fishing, but do the utmost to look after the fish. Wear waders so you can rest them in the flow, do you really need that 898th photo? Get the weighing equipment sorted beforehand, use barbless hooks so you can unhook smaller ones in the net while resting, use sensible gear - 8lb line and 20 minute battles have no place in barbel fishing.

Unfortunately, the " I'm offended " element of society has migrated to fishing.

Well, I'm going to the Wye on Thursday evening. If anyone is offended by this, post your frustration that I refuse to adhere to your statutes. I've only been fishing it for 25 years..

Thanks Gwyn it's a family trait! A thing I'll add is I put every bait, hook length, hook size in front of some barbel in a fast stretch literally under my feet and didn't get a single touch. So I guess ultimately if they don't want to be caught they won't be.

Jon, why feel guilty?
If all your fish went back fine, as 1mine did, then you did nothing wrong.
What are we going to have soon? The temperature police? It may have already started.
Look how many people say they will fish for something else. Are those fish not subject to the same lowered D.O levels and high water temperatures? And fishing lakes is even worse.
But it's ok because it isn't barbel.

I only fish the Wye these days, and any regular Wye angler can tell you the nature of that river. It isn't the Thames, Kennet, B.A etc.

If these people love the barbel so much, why are they trying their best to stick a hunk of metal in their lips?

Fish away and keep fishing, but do the utmost to look after the fish. Wear waders so you can rest them in the flow, do you really need that 898th photo? Get the weighing equipment sorted beforehand, use barbless hooks so you can unhook smaller ones in the net while resting, use sensible gear - 8lb line and 20 minute battles have no place in barbel fishing.

Unfortunately, the " I'm offended " element of society has migrated to fishing.

Well, I'm going to the Wye on Thursday evening. If anyone is offended by this, post your frustration that I refuse to adhere to your statutes. I've only been fishing it for 25 years..
Well good for you...however consider currently as reported by the bailiff at Stacklands (BAA) water temp 73F and oxygen levels depleted, he is an experienced angler and he recommends that we shouldn't bother at the moment the Wye is so low and the fish are shoaled up in deeper pools, easy pickings .

Back