• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Anybody stopped fishing?

I've not fished for barbel yet this season and probably wont till the autumn. its quite simple barbel are going to struggle for recovery in these conditions. so if you catch one do your best to ensure it recovers. each to there own though.

and Neil.... you make me laugh with this statement:D

"it seems there is a huge couldn't care a less attitude in Angling, at least on here by and large we can try and educate"

when I read that it gave me visions of you on the banks of the Severn standing on your grand pedestal you have created for your self preaching to all those un clean and ill educated anglers that stand below you. you just make me shake my head????

and on keepnets, being mainly a match angler who only fishes natural venues I would have no problems using a keepnet for barbel, in fact it can be better for barbel to recover in one in these conditions than using the barbel society handling code.

Blimey what you smoking? :cool:

I'm not getting involved in any arguments about this subject, even though I read a few things that I disagree with.

But it does raise a few questions, that I have considered more than once (for myself)

My first priority when selecting a swim is, where would I rest, and return, a recovered fish. I hate swims high off of the water for this reason. Am I safe when trying to return a fish; is the fish being cared for properly?

For ages I've been looking for a better method than having a fish in a landing net trying to ensure it's upright in the flow, often I take two landing nets which become overkill, one for landing another for resting; plus tethers so the net will not get lost (has happened); plus pegs to stake the handle which is likely to be at a steep angle.

I recall catching a decent fish and laying on the bank trying to ensure the fish was upright; at arms length; never an easy thing to do. This is basic fish welfare and is important both in these hot conditions as well as in the cold weather.

In the last few weeks, and NOT prompted by the hot conditions, mainly to get a new perspective, I've made some purchases. 50 years a barbel fisherman but not too old to change !!

1. I bought a collapsible fish weigh sling "carp style" with zips, tethers and floatation. This is NOT for fish retention, but for recovery and to minimise handling (transferring from landing net, to unhooking mat, to weigh sling, to net for recovery, for unhooking and perhaps a photo). I shall rest the fish, unhook, perhaps weigh it, perhaps take a photo - all this with periods back in the water to rest and further recover. I've not tested it in anger yet but I expect it will allow me to lower it into the water, fish facing upstream, fish upright, floating, tethered. I repeat it is NOT for fish retention.

2. I bought a "life jacket" for myself, especially for use at night when alone. I'm not getting any younger and with the sling I shouldn't be risking reaching down any longer, which can have obvious consequences.
As an additional note I do see some anglers with what I consider wholly inadequate landing nets, surely making landing difficult but secondly (whilst on the subject) hardly allowing a fish to recover properly.

I'm not getting involved in any arguments about this subject, even though I read a few things that I disagree with.

But it does raise a few questions, that I have considered more than once (for myself)

My first priority when selecting a swim is, where would I rest, and return, a recovered fish. I hate swims high off of the water for this reason. Am I safe when trying to return a fish; is the fish being cared for properly?

For ages I've been looking for a better method than having a fish in a landing net trying to ensure it's upright in the flow, often I take two landing nets which become overkill, one for landing another for resting; plus tethers so the net will not get lost (has happened); plus pegs to stake the handle which is likely to be at a steep angle.

I recall catching a decent fish and laying on the bank trying to ensure the fish was upright; at arms length; never an easy thing to do. This is basic fish welfare and is important both in these hot conditions as well as in the cold weather.

In the last few weeks, and NOT prompted by the hot conditions, mainly to get a new perspective, I've made some purchases. 50 years a barbel fisherman but not too old to change !!

1. I bought a collapsible fish weigh sling "carp style" with zips, tethers and floatation. This is NOT for fish retention, but for recovery and to minimise handling (transferring from landing net, to unhooking mat, to weigh sling, to net for recovery, for unhooking and perhaps a photo). I shall rest the fish, unhook, perhaps weigh it, perhaps take a photo - all this with periods back in the water to rest and further recover. I've not tested it in anger yet but I expect it will allow me to lower it into the water, fish facing upstream, fish upright, floating, tethered. I repeat it is NOT for fish retention.

2. I bought a "life jacket" for myself, especially for use at night when alone. I'm not getting any younger and with the sling I shouldn't be risking reaching down any longer, which can have obvious consequences.
As an additional note I do see some anglers with what I consider wholly inadequate landing nets, surely making landing difficult but secondly (whilst on the subject) hardly allowing a fish to recover properly.
Hi Paul
When I was fishing Fiddlers reach on the Kennet, years back, there was a distinct lack of places to easily return Barbel safely, my soloution was to wear chest waders, which meant I could return fish anywhere, within reason, and also go without a seat, it was a long walk. More often than not I didn't even have to use the landing net, just unhooked the fish in the water, mostly in the Autumn/ Winter. I was mostly rolling meat but often sat down for a few hours. Used my Gye net as a rod rest.
Could be worth considering.

Now those are conditions to not fish, for anything. Time to get out the cameras and note books out to survey the river, those notes would give you some serious insight come higher water again.

Just to add.

If you are finding that a fish is not righting itself after a fair time, I will often put a finger above the vent and applying light pressure run it down the gut to below the gill area.

Do this when the head is fully submerged. It will often lead to air bubbles coning from the mouth.
Keep the head submerged so it will not gulp in any more air.

Its solved problems for me in the past whatever the weather.

Hi Paul
When I was fishing Fiddlers reach on the Kennet, years back, there was a distinct lack of places to easily return Barbel safely, my soloution was to wear chest waders, which meant I could return fish anywhere, within reason, and also go without a seat, it was a long walk. More often than not I didn't even have to use the landing net, just unhooked the fish in the water, mostly in the Autumn/ Winter. I was mostly rolling meat but often sat down for a few hours. Used my Gye net as a rod rest.
Could be worth considering.

Thanks Paul but different era, different style. I couldn't wear chest waders for 10 hours, and certainly need a seat these days.

Yes, it looks pretty extreme - have to agree - so I was relieved when I read how frequently it occurs. Still, it's rubbish for the fish that need to be rescued.

Hi Paul, that sounds like a great idea, could you possibly share which sling it was that you bought, and where from. Thanks.

Don't be so defensive, if you want to fish, fine, but the very fact that you felt the need to post this tells me you too have concerns.
BTW 'hunk of steel', and as far as they were spawning in April and May, they in fact were still spawning in June. Also it can not always be obvious at the time a Barbel will die from capture, however the common sense approach is very much leave it at the moment...but your choice.

Neil, you are correct in stating that I have concerns.
However, bear in mind that every member here is a serious barbel angler I would think, therefore experienced at catching barbel.
Then bear in mind rivers differ in nature.
The Bristol Avon or Warks Avon ( fished both ) is a far cry from the likes of the Wye.

I would never contemplate fishing a slow, sluggish river for barbel in these conditions.
I quit last summer after problems getting one fish to go back due to poor swim choice.

As of now, my swim choice is restricted by certain conditions. Can I rest and release a barbel in flowing, deep water. Not a tepid 6 inches.
I had 2 out Saturday and one last night, all were kicking like demons to go. Hell, I even had a pic with an unweighed fish last night as I was lifting her out of the net to go. Out of water 5 seconds max before the barbel police pounce.

You probably think of yourself as a responsible barbel angler who has their best interests at heart.
I try to catch them, therefore I obviously don't have their best interests at heart.

The problem doesn't lie with members of this site, the problem lies with keepnets, 2 minute photo sessions and the ' 6lb line is fine ' brigade.

On the right venue, in the right swim, it's entirely possible to fish for barbel regardless of this current weather. Assuming the angler knows how to deal with barbel.

If you choose to hang your rods up for the summer, I respect that, I really do.
But if you cared about them that much, you wouldn't be trying to stick a pointy thing in their lips, you'd be content to watch them all year. Except you obviously aren't content with that, like the rest of us.

It's common sense dude, and just because someone refuses to fish their local venue, doesn't mean the guy who fishes his is in the wrong.

I extend you an invite to come fish my stretches of the Wye with me. Not only will you see how fighting fit and well recovered from spawning these barbel are, you will also see flow rates even at the height of drought you'll never see on some of these long lakes that are called rivers.

Drop me a PM to continue the convo fella. I may have been defensive, but that was only because I dislike being told I shouldn't fish by someone who doesn't fish where I fish.

I also find it amusing the amount of people saying they're fishing for other species.
Ok, wrong to fish for barbel so we'll just catch these out of this low oxygenated water instead. They aren't barbel so what does it matter?

Hypocrasy rules.

Each to there own but I can't think of nothing worse fishing for barbel in these conditions. Severn is a big river and I've seen loads of barbel belly up in these conditions. I look on a certain Facebook page on the Severn and can't get my round photo of small size barbel on there taken in this heat. I don't care how long you been barbel fishing you never going to stop barbel going belly up and if it happens in middle of the river that's a dead barbel.

Hi Paul, that sounds like a great idea, could you possibly share which sling it was that you bought, and where from. Thanks.

Hi Derek, and all

The sling I bought is

sling_01.jpg

sling_02.jpg

sling_03.jpg

I got it from eBay clickety-click It is made by "Carpzone" (excuse the 'C' word :p), but I dare say it is available from other sources

I've already made another two of these

retainer_cord_s.jpg

I have not got to grips with using it yet, need to work on best way to carry it (when dry, and when wet) but I tried it with a small one (who I said to make a face like a fish :D). But I look forward to trying it with a big girl as soon as the conditions improve.

Last edited:
However, bear in mind that every member here is a serious barbel angler I would think, therefore experienced at catching barbel.
The Bristol Avon or Warks Avon ( fished both ) is a far cry from the likes of the Wye.

I would never contemplate fishing a slow, sluggish river for barbel in these conditions.
I quit last summer after problems getting one fish to go back due to poor swim choice.

As of now, my swim choice is restricted by certain conditions. Can I rest and release a barbel in flowing, deep water. Not a tepid 6 inches.
I had 2 out Saturday and one last night, all were kicking like demons to go. Hell, I even had a pic with an unweighed fish last night as I was lifting her out of the net to go. Out of water 5 seconds max before the barbel police pounce.

You probably think of yourself as a responsible barbel angler who has their best interests at heart.
I try to catch them, therefore I obviously don't have their best interests at heart.

The problem doesn't lie with members of this site, the problem lies with keepnets, 2 minute photo sessions and the ' 6lb line is fine ' brigade.

On the right venue, in the right swim, it's entirely possible to fish for barbel regardless of this current weather. Assuming the angler knows how to deal with barbel.

But if you cared about them that much, you wouldn't be trying to stick a pointy thing in their lips, you'd be content to watch them all year. Except you obviously aren't content with that, like the rest of us.

It's common sense dude, and just because someone refuses to fish their local venue, doesn't mean the guy who fishes his is in the wrong.

I extend you an invite to come fish my stretches of the Wye with me. Not only will you see how fighting fit and well recovered from spawning these barbel are, you will also see flow rates even at the height of drought you'll never see on some of these long lakes that are called rivers.

Drop me a PM to continue the convo fella. I may have been defensive, but that was only because I dislike being told I shouldn't fish by someone who doesn't fish where I fish.

I also find it amusing the amount of people saying they're fishing for other species.
Ok, wrong to fish for barbel so we'll just catch these out of this low oxygenated water instead. They aren't barbel so what does it matter?

Hypocrasy rules.
Gwyn,I've fished for barbel a long time now and caught plenty over the years. I've also had the misfortune of having a big fish,well rested in capacious landing net,then go belly up,moments after it powered off. It felt very strong whilst holding the wrist of its tail,and the resulting water spray as it swam off,made me think it was fine. Maybe a minute or so later said fish was on the surface,only stopped from going downstream by marginal willow branches. I was then able to wade out,not easy at my size,and re-land the fish. I recovered it for an age until again it swam off,but I was still not sure if it survived?

As for the fishing of other species,which I've done 2 short sessions so far,catching three river carp and a dozen bream. The other cyprinids seem to go back just fine. Carp,bream,tench,they initially 'right' themselves before almost immediately trying to swim off,barbel never do that,they list on their sides as we all know,and need our assistance. Zander also do a similar thing,and need TLC too. So it seems not all fish require the same delicate treatment as the barbel,which have a 'uniqueness' about them.

I'm not knocking you personally Gwyn,you seem a very competent person,and I feel for your loss of that big fish....I've been there a few times.

Hypocrasy rules.
I don't know about hypocrasy , but I understand that the very act of catching fish is a huge compromise on their welfare, but at least we can decide when to do this and perhaps in more favourable conditions than now, given the temperatures and O2 levels. The truth as you admitted is that you had concerns too, which is admirable. My problem is I am coming over as a bloke that is a bit too critical of others, and to that end I am sorry, but it goes without saying I care about Barbel dying, they are such a declining species on our Rivers. I am aware of the different Rivers in that how they are in this weather, a slow flow and high temps is a problem, but so is shallow. The number of dead Barbel we see is unacceptable, we have a ready made villain in the Otter, let's not consider us as being worse still.

Last time I was on the Wye 19th June this year, I had the misfortune to fall over a well disguised mole hill in the grass, and went flying c/w gear, and suffered bad pain for the rest of the day...still hurts, but what huts more is the time I cannot fish at the moment, and tbh I am like a Bear with a sore head, so thanks for the kind invite and I just might take you up on that.

Feel for you on the lost lump, sort of Karma then?

Back