• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another Rant

Useful that Adrian.:rolleyes:

I would have to disagree with you there, people who rant quite often get what they want in todays world.:)

Please tell...who is going to change this problem you and many others publicly have with lesser anglers then?? I am intrigued to know.

Clubs can't seem to do it, water bailiffs don't seem to have the resources, I suppose the closest thing would be the syndicate water...but then you would be ranting about the ££££ rates they charge.

Please tell...who is going to change this problem you and many others publicly have with lesser anglers then?? I am intrigued to know.

Clubs can't seem to do it, water bailiffs don't seem to have the resources, I suppose the closest thing would be the syndicate water...but then you would be ranting about the ££££ rates they charge.

To be fair Adrian, I don't think Julian has a problem with lesser anglers as you put it, he is just not happy at witnessing bad angling practice that could damage the fish. And rightly so

I have emailed the local club this evening to see if they need any help. It is a start at least.

Ref 'lesser anglers'; an angler is an angler in my eyes regardless of tackle or technique.........

.........Unless they have no decent landing net or mat.....or fish around the corner.....or don't want to get their feet wet.:p

Rivers have enough problems without encouraging the dickheads by letting them do as they please and when and where they please. Where do you fish Adrian? I shall tell them to go to your local stretch to get rid of them!:)

In fact it is illegal to leave rods unattended. End of argument, I would have thought?

Where do you fish Adrian? I shall tell them to go to your local stretch to get rid of them!:)

Ooo Touchy.

Unfortunately I spent a small fortune with the intention of starting Barbel fishing, I purchased the wrong rod, too small a landing net and no unhooking mat.. I think my gear may have been a little light with only 3lb line for all the snags in the river. Alas some dozy moo in a car who's driving was not up to standard had a good go at killing me and now left me unable to potentially fish because I no longer have the flexibility to handle any fish correctly...or should that be how I believe they should be handled as a rookie :p Sorry I cannot help with your immigration plans though. May I ask if your driving and motorcycle awareness is up to standard or would that be a silly question.
Goodnight

To be fair Adrian, I don't think Julian has a problem with lesser anglers as you put it, he is just not happy at witnessing bad angling practice that could damage the fish. And rightly so

Bad practice seems to be very subjective on this site. I fished from the early 70's through to the 80's and never had half the rubbish going on as we do now and anglers were far more sociable and friendly.

I have read about anglers with apparently no net and no mat, rods too far apart. I have also read about the temper lost at the retuning of a fish. I do not condone any of this but no where have I read the calm approach of the various subjects with the various individuals, no body learned anything that day and they will probably continue in their ways none the wiser for a helpful approach.

if this chap was in a weekly a while ago, then maybe he is sponsored in one way or the other, would it not be an idea to name n shame, the he'll probably think again next time.

Had a waddle along a stretch of barbel river this evening. I came home again thoroughly ****ed off with the level of fish care. The first pair i came across were a pair asian anglers without a mat and a landing net handle but had 3 rods and danglers and buzzers. They were fishing a prime barbel swim. The next pair i came across were rods with no angler in sight! And 20 paces between the rods, again no mat in sight or net. When i walked around the bend there was the owner 'angler' chucking a waggler around. I walked back to go home, sat on a fence for a while watching a swim then saw a guy upstream putting his mat and sling on the path. I wandered up to take a look. He was just taking a barbel out of the weigh sling (sling so small that the fish was curled like a dehydrated sprat), when out popped a pebble the size of a chickens egg as well as the barbel. He said he used it to calibrate his scales! He then carried the fish to the edge (no flow whatsoever), in the sling and held onto the fishes tail for a about 2 minutes before letting go and walking back up the bank a little. The fish turned over on its side and i mentioned this to him and also offered to him another more suitable returning place 30 yards upstream. He walked back down the bank and poked about with his landing net pole until the fish could not be seen. At this point i lost it a little.....This really did spoil my evenings fishing. I fully hope that i spoilt his day too.

Didnt happen to be the Wye at Monmouth did it? I posted a little while ago about not seeing such sights on the Wye - oh boy has my opinion changed now - wont be going back anytime soon!

Hi Julian
was there any particular reason you mentioned the ethnic background of the first pair of anglers and not the second pair?
Neil

Suprised it took this long for somebody to mention this! :mad:

I hardly think "Asian" is an ethnic background, it is a huge continent covering lots of cultures, languages and religions!!

I really do not get it, people on here spend thousands of posts every year condemning bad practices and praising people trying to make changes, going into rants and rages about theoretical situations that might happen, but yet Julian gets attacked for sounding off at his frustration and anger with something that actually happened, an actual life experience............

Priceless!!!

In your position Julian, I would have probably hit the roof too, we need to look after our rivers, let the internet talkers talk and don't let it bother you.............

Sense at last!!!! Thank you Ian!!!

All very childish and political again on here.

Same old names as well.

Julian makes a valid point and is hounded for it by the high and mighty of the barbel forum world.

Bully boy tactics i would say. Despicable.

Jeff

All very childish and political again on here.

Same old names as well.

Julian makes a valid point and is hounded for it by the high and mighty of the barbel forum world.

Bully boy tactics i would say. Despicable.

Jeff

And that smacks of the suddenly pious and hard-done-by hacks of News International claiming that they're true professionals and have been misunderstood...

I really do not get it, people on here spend thousands of posts every year condemning bad practices and praising people trying to make changes, going into rants and rages about theoretical situations that might happen, but yet Julian gets attacked for sounding off at his frustration and anger with something that actually happened, an actual life experience............

I don't believe I've attacked anybody, maybe retured some well deserved sarcasm :p

To be honest this forum reads like an episode of 'Loose women' most of the time....Lots of rant, rave, opinions etc and very little done.

And that smacks of the suddenly pious and hard-done-by hacks of News International claiming that they're true professionals and have been misunderstood...

So says the H P Lovecraft of BFW!

You already know my feelings Paul. If you have something to say, stop talking in riddles (B*******T) and come out with it.

Being able to shout louder than someone else does NOT make you right.

Best regards,

Jeff

To be honest Jeff i thought Paul's point was valid one to make and i don't really see where Julian was hounded for making his. Let's face it - he went for a walk along a river bank during the height of summer - you are going to see one or two things you don't like! That's life i'm afraid - blowing up in others faces won't solve anything, and if you did it on some of the venues i've fished in the past it would be a very quick way to end up in hospital. There are ways to go about edjucating people about best practice - ranting and raving at them isn't one of them.

Hi Andrew,

Whilst I agree in principle, we both know that some people do not accept criticissm very well and will immediately default to being antagonistic and potentially violent.
There's a big difference between not knowing any better and not giving a rats a** for the fish or the fishing. I suppose you could say selfish but it's deeper than that.

I would always prefer education than enforcement. The kids have to learn somewhere and we've all been there but there has to be an end to the behaviour of the "hooligan element" who couldn't care less about anything else so long as they can do as they please. If we're honest, we've all felt thhe same as Julian about this.

Regards,

Jeff

Back