• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another Rant

Julian Peacock

Had a waddle along a stretch of barbel river this evening. I came home again thoroughly ****ed off with the level of fish care. The first pair i came across were a pair asian anglers without a mat and a landing net handle but had 3 rods and danglers and buzzers. They were fishing a prime barbel swim. The next pair i came across were rods with no angler in sight! And 20 paces between the rods, again no mat in sight or net. When i walked around the bend there was the owner 'angler' chucking a waggler around. I walked back to go home, sat on a fence for a while watching a swim then saw a guy upstream putting his mat and sling on the path. I wandered up to take a look. He was just taking a barbel out of the weigh sling (sling so small that the fish was curled like a dehydrated sprat), when out popped a pebble the size of a chickens egg as well as the barbel. He said he used it to calibrate his scales! He then carried the fish to the edge (no flow whatsoever), in the sling and held onto the fishes tail for a about 2 minutes before letting go and walking back up the bank a little. The fish turned over on its side and i mentioned this to him and also offered to him another more suitable returning place 30 yards upstream. He walked back down the bank and poked about with his landing net pole until the fish could not be seen. At this point i lost it a little.....This really did spoil my evenings fishing. I fully hope that i spoilt his day too.

No comment from me about you, Julian, but I fear that too many us super-serious "Anglers" have become little more than censorious prigs whose condemnation of everything and everybody not quite up to our demanding expectations and tastes is surely killing Angling...

Had a waddle along a stretch of barbel river this evening. I came home again thoroughly ****ed off with the level of fish care. The first pair i came across were a pair asian anglers without a mat and a landing net handle but had 3 rods and danglers and buzzers. They were fishing a prime barbel swim. The next pair i came across were rods with no angler in sight! And 20 paces between the rods, again no mat in sight or net. When i walked around the bend there was the owner 'angler' chucking a waggler around. I walked back to go home, sat on a fence for a while watching a swim then saw a guy upstream putting his mat and sling on the path. I wandered up to take a look. He was just taking a barbel out of the weigh sling (sling so small that the fish was curled like a dehydrated sprat), when out popped a pebble the size of a chickens egg as well as the barbel. He said he used it to calibrate his scales! He then carried the fish to the edge (no flow whatsoever), in the sling and held onto the fishes tail for a about 2 minutes before letting go and walking back up the bank a little. The fish turned over on its side and i mentioned this to him and also offered to him another more suitable returning place 30 yards upstream. He walked back down the bank and poked about with his landing net pole until the fish could not be seen. At this point i lost it a little.....This really did spoil my evenings fishing. I fully hope that i spoilt his day too.

KILL HIM!

Hugo

No comment from me about you, Julian, but I fear that too many us super-serious "Anglers" have become little more than censorious prigs whose condemnation of everything and everybody not quite up to our demanding expectations and tastes is surely killing Angling...

You can speak some twaddle at times but that ranks as one of your best. I thought you had half a brain. My latest evaluation puts it at a quarter.

Amazing how i get attacked for being shocked at the level of fish care on a stretch that has recently lost one of its biggest fish possibly to one of these dickheads.

I tend to agree with Julian regarding the indifference of the angler to the obvious plight of a badly returned fish. Don't know if I'd have lost my temper but I can see how it would make a person do so. It hardly puts angling in a good light if we are prepared to put a stressed fish back with the potentail of that fish dying for the sake of a few minutes tlc.

See Keith Speers post on the bad angling and muppets thread........

I agree with Keith Speers well presented post. I too have helped youngsters to have a go at fishing also which although can be hard work at times is very rewarding when they catch a fish, so i do practise what i preach.

The chap in question (that in reality was the last straw of the evening), IS an experienced angler. He was centre pages in one of the weeklies last year. I just think that he didnt want to get his feet wet which i found deplorable considering the recent weather. He was also using a 10lb hooklink in a snaggy swim and had lost an earlier hooked fish because the link snapped. I well may have gone over the top in telling him what i thought - i just would expect much better........then again maybe not, as i am learning.

As for the other idiots on the stretch that evening, let all the righteous ones pray they don't come to a river near you!

You can speak some twaddle at times but that ranks as one of your best. I thought you had half a brain. My latest evaluation puts it at a quarter.

Amazing how i get attacked for being shocked at the level of fish care on a stretch that has recently lost one of its biggest fish possibly to one of these dickheads.

Thank you. Look at - listen to - the tone of your post, the eagerness to put people down and to sound off in public: symptomatic, I feel, of our blame game, Mr Angry Pants society and what a bunch of unhappy campers we Brits today are.

Thank you. Look at - listen to - the tone of your post, the eagerness to put people down and to sound off in public: symptomatic, I feel, of our blame game, Mr Angry Pants society and what a bunch of unhappy campers we Brits today are.

Paul, the title of my post ('Another Rant'), kind of gave everyone a sneak preview of the 'tone' :rolleyes: And the fact that everyone who was fishing last night was doing so to an extremely poor standard at best.

I won't labour the 'point' as quite frankly, there wasn't a point in the first place, except to remind people to tackle dickheads bankside as opposed to just on the internet or worse still, as seems to be widely accepted; to just walk on by.

Rant over.

Regards,

Julian

Hi Julian
was there any particular reason you mentioned the ethnic background of the first pair of anglers and not the second pair?
Neil

Hi Julian
was there any particular reason you mentioned the ethnic background of the first pair of anglers and not the second pair?
Neil

I hardly think "Asian" is an ethnic background, it is a huge continent covering lots of cultures, languages and religions!!

I really do not get it, people on here spend thousands of posts every year condemning bad practices and praising people trying to make changes, going into rants and rages about theoretical situations that might happen, but yet Julian gets attacked for sounding off at his frustration and anger with something that actually happened, an actual life experience............

Priceless!!!

In your position Julian, I would have probably hit the roof too, we need to look after our rivers, let the internet talkers talk and don't let it bother you.............

Hi Julian
Neil

Neil, it was an observation. Much in the same way as 4 Polish people walked along the bank that evening too that i didn't mention.

Why the enquiry?

I won't labour the 'point' as quite frankly, there wasn't a point in the first place, except to remind people to tackle dickheads bankside as opposed to just on the internet or worse still, as seems to be widely accepted; to just walk on by.

Rant over.

Regards,

Julian

With an attitude like yours you may well find yourself chucked in the river yourself.

With an attitude like yours you may well find yourself chucked in the river yourself.

That is a risk i am happy to take Adrian because i do give a damn, am passionate about fishing and have no reason to hide it, least of all on an internet forum called Barbel Fishing World.

Maybe though, i should channel some of this into something useful. What would you suggest?

Hi Julian
just wondered why you mentioned the first two were Asian and didnt mention anything about the continent(for you Ian) the other two anglers came from ?

Neil

That is a risk i am happy to take Adrian because i do give a damn, am passionate about fishing and have no reason to hide it, least of all on an internet forum called Barbel Fishing World.

Maybe though, i should channel some of this into something useful. What would you suggest?

Anger management :rolleyes: All the ranting in the world won't get you any where!

Hi Julian
just wondered why you mentioned the first two were Asian and didnt mention anything about the continent(for you Ian) the other two anglers came from ?

Neil

Was your question based around some form of race discrimination Neil??

Whilst the mob has Julian down let everyone give him a kicking??

Hi Julian

Neil

The other two were white but as they didn't speak they may have been European, American, Oceanic, or Asian or African. I will endeavour to gain more roots information for you next time so that my rants are complete.:D

Back